E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > MAD and need a solution

02-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #45
DBville
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
I think the OP has a legitimate gripe.

If you let a kid eat in a car, stuff will land on the carpets and seats! It's predictable. So it makes no sense to buy an expensive car with gray leather and gray carpets and let a kid eat in the car. It's irresponsible. Over many years, the end result will be a trashed car. Can't the kid wait a few minutes until she reached her destination? Can't the kid eat at the restaurant where the food was purchased?

If you want to let kids eat in your car, buy some POS minivan, not a well engineered masterpiece!

The OP's issue is not the kid! It is the fact that the wife gives the kid food to eat while in the car. Personally, I would have been giving the wife the stuff to clean it. Then she would have had to take it to the detailer, and that would have been her birthday present. Give a 5 YO kid ketchup in a car....expect it on the floor or seats!!

I do not understand the deal with insisting that kids need to eat while driving. 99.99% of trips are less than an hour. The kid can't go without eating for an hour? No, its that people like to give the kid food, so they don't have to deal with them being fussy in the car. Been there, seen that with my daughter/grand-daughter. She rides with us, she gets no food in the car. Period. Yeah, I am such a mean SOB!!

'08 E90 335i
Sparkling Graphite
PCD 11/28
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

The OP is like my dad, I remember spilling milk on his new Karastan when I was maybe in 3rd grade. He was so angry that he threw the camcorder that he had in his hands at the tv, breaking both the tv and the camcorder, and then he yelled at my mom for giving him such a child. It didn't matter that it was an accident and I didn't mean to do it. Man, what memories to think back about what happened 10 years ago...I think the OP should yell at his wife some more until he finally gets through to her, or she asks for a divorce. He is obviously the man, as he states he's returning the car and he will be charged. Men don't put up with such c***, for what has he got, if he not himself, then he has not, to say the things, he truly feels, and not the words, of one who kneels, he faced it all, and he stood tall, and did it his way.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #47
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

bring it to a car steam cleaner.. they use high heat pressurized steam to remove stain.. and your car won't smell after
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #48
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Gee, hope you took the opportunity to abuse them both physically over it. You bought an expensive car with a high maintainence interior and you have a small child who rides in the car.

Suck it up. You're a jerk.

If you had just asked about the stain, you would be getting lots of good suggestions - but you made it all about your anger at your wife and kid. I'm sure her next husband will do a better job raising him, hopefully before it's too late.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #49
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

The gray carpet mats are $95 at Circle BMW and the rubber mats are $42. Either option is less than the cost of an hour of psychotherapy.

What if one of them had tracked asphalt onto the carpets? They are light colored carpets.

Life being life, and the world being the world, I have rubber mats in our cars that have light colored carpets. I'll put the original mats back in the day I sell the cars.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #50
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
(see next post)(this post was accidentally posted twice)

Last edited by demosthenes; 02-09-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: accidentally posted twice
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #51
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Many enthusiasts run into this issue between themselves and their spouses/significant other.

This stuff should have been discussed and agreed to BEFORE the car was purchased. Once a deal is made, both parties should stick to it. Assuming both parties are paying for the car, the dialogue could have gone something like this...

(wife) I love the gray interior.
(husband) I do too sweetheart, but the seats and carpets will get trashed if we aren't careful. Are you willing to do that, which means no eating or drinking in the car? If not, let's get a POS minivan.
(wife option#1) How about if we get black leatherette as a compromise? And we can change the mats every couple of years.
OR
(wife option #2) OK. I'll be super careful. Don't worry honey. No eating or drinking in the car.
OR
(wife option #3) No way. I want my gray leather! It's my car and I'll do what I want !

The husband can take it from there. Make deal #1 or deal #2 or divorce her if she pushes for #3.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #52
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Looks like everyone's real priorities are showing. Do you value things over people or vice versa?
      02-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #53
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
The issue isn't "a thing". The issue is working together to find a mutually beneficial solution. Any time one party refuses to work with the other and completely disregards his or her views, it reveals a problem with communication or the relationship itself.

Last edited by demosthenes; 02-09-2008 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #54
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Gee, hope you took the opportunity to abuse them both physically over it. You bought an expensive car with a high maintainence interior and you have a small child who rides in the car.

Suck it up. You're a jerk.

If you had just asked about the stain, you would be getting lots of good suggestions - but you made it all about your anger at your wife and kid. I'm sure her next husband will do a better job raising him, hopefully before it's too late.
Puppy keeping you up at night again?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #55
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

seems to me the only ones making a federal case out of this are the responders. talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. give the guy a break, jesus.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #56
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

I'm as anal compulsive as the next BMW owner, but people and dogs are messy and the ground is covered with dirt.

That's why I ordered the Terra interior, the carpets are black.

$42 for rubber mats is cheaper than two dozen roses when your significant other stops talking to you.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #57
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

I have the Rubber floor mats!!!!!!!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #58
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
Many enthusiasts run into this issue between themselves and their spouses/significant other.

This stuff should have been discussed and agreed to BEFORE the car was purchased. Once a deal is made, both parties should stick to it. Assuming both parties are paying for the car, the dialogue could have gone something like this...

(wife) I love the gray interior.
(husband) I do too sweetheart, but the seats and carpets will get trashed if we aren't careful. Are you willing to do that, which means no eating or drinking in the car? If not, let's get a POS minivan.
(wife option#1) How about if we get black leatherette as a compromise? And we can change the mats every couple of years.
OR
(wife option #2) OK. I'll be super careful. Don't worry honey. No eating or drinking in the car.
OR
(wife option #3) No way. I want my gray leather! It's my car and I'll do what I want !

The husband can take it from there. Make deal #1 or deal #2 or divorce her if she pushes for #3.
WTF? As soon as any of YOU relationship Experts/Cavemen actually have a relationship maybe then you could start giving advice... Move out of your Mom's house wait till you grow up a little before deciding to follow in the foot steps of your obviously warped and twisted father figures...

Be sure to "Put your Foot Down" fellas... Holy crap, what the hell kind of women did you marry that gives you the impression that you can "tell them how things are." Christ, find a women with some intelligence, an education, and some self respect and you won't be having these issues... But then, you wouldn't want a women thinking for herself cause you wouldn't be able to lord over them and "keep them in place"...

Pathetic, hopefully most of you are typing this drivel from your Bedrooms at Mom and Dad's house and it's so alarmingly ignorant and wrong because you're simply speaking hypothetically about things you know nothing about...
      02-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #59
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMC View Post
Haha ... i have the all weather floor mats.. they just werent in the car. Still in the trunk!
Quote:
I have the Rubber floor mats!!!!!!!
OK, so buy the gray carpet mats from Circle BMW and buy 2 dozen roses at Costco. Throw the new carpet mats in the trunk, put the rubber mats on the floor, and give the roses to your wife.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #60
Ryan335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
this is a perfect smilie for you...
i read the thread! It just seems like a whole lot of hassle to try to get a stain out. I mean, all those products needed would cost about 25 bucks at least, and then all the time needed to clean it. i would just run over to my dealership and pick up a new set.

Ever heard the phrase time=money?
      02-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #61
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

holy shiz man it's carpet...you can get that out a million ways but steaming is the best.

ask yourself...was it worth it to get mad? to instill fear inn your wife cause of a stain you can get out...even if you couldn't.. that's life.. i know it sucks but damn you sound like your livid...over a ketchup stain...sounds pretty pathetic when i put it like that... it's not even the leather... it's carpet.. and if it's the mats that's a super easy fix...just chill and fix it.. i know avoidable accidents suck. but to get this mad doesn't make sense sounds like you have other things bothering you...there's always tomorrow..at least you don't have 2 cracked ribs a concussion, about 8 sprained bones..bruised vertebrae and some other little things from falling at 440 am on ice 30 ft from the door at work and have to take 2 days off and possibly this whole upcoming week... now that sucks..oh and did i mention in the last 2 years i have had 5 different procedure on my spine.. mainly discs l3-l4 and l4-s1 and guess what took the impact? my l3-l4 l4-s1... so i guess i have no luck... talk about being upset...and your upset about ketchup i mean i would be upset but damn not livid!!!

just steam the shit out of it preferably with a cleaner made to work with steaming!!!! i have seen worse than that..i had a friend who had a bottle of red wine in the trunk... i don't know how they did it but they got it out... there are ways..just do a search and steam the shit out of it!!! good luck and sry for being harsh... but it's just ketchup it will come out!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #62
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Here's something to make you feel better, at least it's just ketchup. One of my friends spilled some fruit juice in his car and forgot about it for a few weeks (parking in the sun at school) and after a while his car began to smell almost like alcohol and we're pretty sure it was beginning to ferment....his car has never smelled like anything other than peach alcohol since then and I find it hilarious but I'm sure it sucks to have to drive it every day.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #63
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

As of today .. the rubber floor mats are in the car. They cover the stain up, but is noticeable without the mats of course. My rep said i will be charged $50 or $75 bucks when i turn the car in.

I will pay the damage cost and continue on .. no biggie.
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #64
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
As of today .. the rubber floor mats are in the car. They cover the stain up, but is noticeable without the mats of course. My rep said i will be charged $50 or $75 bucks when i turn the car in.

I will pay the damage cost and continue on .. no biggie.
      02-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #65
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
WTF? As soon as any of YOU relationship Experts/Cavemen actually have a relationship maybe then you could start giving advice... Move out of your Mom's house wait till you grow up a little before deciding to follow in the foot steps of your obviously warped and twisted father figures...

Be sure to "Put your Foot Down" fellas... Holy crap, what the hell kind of women did you marry that gives you the impression that you can "tell them how things are." Christ, find a women with some intelligence, an education, and some self respect and you won't be having these issues... But then, you wouldn't want a women thinking for herself cause you wouldn't be able to lord over them and "keep them in place"...

Pathetic, hopefully most of you are typing this drivel from your Bedrooms at Mom and Dad's house and it's so alarmingly ignorant and wrong because you're simply speaking hypothetically about things you know nothing about...
You couldn't be more wrong. We all are enthusiasts aren't we? Can't we share our love of fine cars without insulting each other every time we disagree? That's what the developers, moderators and the vast majority of the contributors to this forum have in mind.

My point is that personal and business relationships are built on mutual respect and understanding. Whatever two parties agree to is fine with me, as long as they don't hurt someone else. Any time one party breaks an agreement or intentionally does something they know will upset the other party, they undermine the relationship. It's that simple. The car isn't the issue.

If I track mud in the house, my wife won't like it. If I do it, I should apologize and clean it up. This doesn't mean we agree on everything, but it means that we work together to solve hot button issues so we can live together in peace.

Last edited by demosthenes; 02-09-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #66
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
You need to chill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Yeah. I'm as anal as the next guy, but i'm with Taittinger. I put my car over my girlfriend all the time, but my kid?

Go buy some resolve, shoot it at the stain, wait 2 minutes, wipe up, stain is gone. If that doesn't work (and i'm 95% sure it will), you can go to target and bout one of those steam vacuum cleaners.

Seriously, relax... Besides, it's only ketchup, I'm sure something minor like that can be fixed.

Appreciate 0