E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d ready for a remap - but by who?

12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Norm4n
Rep
Drives: 335d

335d ready for a remap - but by who?

Please post your recommendations

I\'ve been reading about DMS, Evolve, emaps, APtuning, and various others.....

Having spoken to a few they all claim to offer bespoke mapping, and tell me others do not!

Prices range from £280-600.

The question is do I need a bespoke map or a generic job, advice and your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Bespoke will be when the car is on a rolling road and possibly with the car taken on the road for minor tweaks..

Personally having had previous vehicles remapped, I would say a bespoke should always be classed as being done on the rollers showing a before and after, and the operator dialling in the power delivery how you want. Of course the car is always going to deliver it in its own way but you can influence certain things so it suits your driving style.

Generic maps won't get the most performance out of the car as its not basing its parameters on the age and wear/tear of the vehicle. In this case you could get worse fuel economy.

IF your in the budget of upto £600 I have no doubt you can get a bespoke package, and most speak highly of Evolve and maybe others can share there experiences. I'll probably be going to someone like Evolve next year, when atleast the weather perks up i'll be able to enjoy the extra horses!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Where are you based as this will probably help with your final decision.
When I researched for a remap,the figures and results were all much the same ie 340-360bhp for a 335d.I went for a combination of recommendation v cost v customer service.
I ended up with and was very pleased with Simon at Emaps who live-mapped my car.This allowed him to fine tune the map to suit my car whilst I was driving.
Having had a Subaru remapped about 8 times-after each mod-both on a rr using both licenced maps and live,open source mapping,I always preferred the latter as it allowed for more freedom to tweak the car to suit me.
Emaps are highly recommended and offers the same as other tuners at a reasonable price.
You've quoted prices between the 280 and £600 mark.Apart from RR sessions,I don't know what else could be offered to justify the extra expense.No doubt someone on here will answer this one...
Take it as your talking about remaps,you've considered and discounted a tuning box?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

Simon from emaps also did my 335d, more than happy with what he did. Most importantly the car still operates exactly as it did before he worked his magic, only more so! What I mean is there have never been issues or fault codes or the car suddenly developing funny little habits.

Would thorughly reccomend Simon to anyone in the market for a re-map.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Norm4n
Rep

Some good feedback on emaps there, they are now on my shortlist!

When you guys send your cars in for service work do you worry that the dealer will spot your tweaked ECU ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

When my car was in the dealer other week for warranty work I actually asked the question if they can tell if a car had been remapped. He said "I wouldnt recommend it, but we cant really tell if has been remapped - other than driving it". Obviously, they will know its been remapped when they drive it as they drive these cars all the time.

If you have a BMW warranty, it is a bit of a gamble if you start to have problems with the car such as premature wear of components ranging from fuel pumps, injectors etc to even gearboxes. Having said that there does seem a lot of people on here that havent had any problems for 10,000s of miles after a remap.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Im in the same position at the minute, was currently waiting to see if evolve were gonna do a christmas deal, but the more i wait the more i see simon from emaps getting good reviews.

Audi RS5 - Sold
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
BMW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

I use a good independent so have no issues telling him it is mapped. Not sure how old your car is but unless it is under warranty I'd use an independent rather than main dealers, recent experience of main dealer has been very expensive and under-whelming.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
Im in the same position at the minute, was currently waiting to see if evolve were gonna do a christmas deal, but the more i wait the more i see simon from emaps getting good reviews.
I am the same, I will consider evolve if they do a Christmas offer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Evolve Vs Emaps?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
When my car was in the dealer other week for warranty work I actually asked the question if they can tell if a car had been remapped. He said "I wouldnt recommend it, but we cant really tell if has been remapped - other than driving it". Obviously, they will know its been remapped when they drive it as they drive these cars all the time.

If you have a BMW warranty, it is a bit of a gamble if you start to have problems with the car such as premature wear of components ranging from fuel pumps, injectors etc to even gearboxes. Having said that there does seem a lot of people on here that havent had any problems for 10,000s of miles after a remap.
That isnt true mate, I took my map off prior to warranty work and they still discovered it. It's something to do with the fault codes a mapped car gives out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

That isnt true mate, I took my map off prior to warranty work and they still discovered it. It's something to do with the fault codes a mapped car gives out.
How did you take your map off?-to me,this implies a tuning box or such like(may be wrong?),which can be removed in minutes and then replaced when your car is back from the stealer.
Tuning boxes are known to leave fault codes occasionally.
However,some boxes come with cables that allow you to remove these fault codes.How 'hidden' these are,I can't answer.
Simon looked at my existing map and read its history( previous maps etc).
When he'd finished mapping,all traces of his 'visit',were then removed.
Again,if a dealership wanted to forensically examine your ecu,I'm sure a remap will be easily found.However,how many would bother-depends on the circumstances,I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
How did you take your map off?-to me,this implies a tuning box or such like(may be wrong?),which can be removed in minutes and then replaced when your car is back from the stealer.
However,some boxes come with cables that allow you to remove these fault codes.How 'hidden' these are,I can't answer.
Again,if a dealership wanted to forensically examine your ecu,I'm sure a remap will be easily found.However,how many would bother-depends on the circumstances,I guess.
It was the Evolve switch which allows you to put the map on and off. The dealer said that the mod was discovered by BMW AG, it seems that whenever they hook your vehicle up to their system it automatically uploads everything to BMW HQ which was where they discovered the codes generated by the map.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I lost my map a few times when the cars software was updated but the tuner (DMS) re-loaded for nothing as most do these days.

Never had an issue. One dealer did say it went like stink. But he knew is was re-mapped anyway. (wasn't my local dealer and it came up in convo).

My local dealers never said anything.
      12-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
It was the Evolve switch which allows you to put the map on and off. The dealer said that the mod was discovered by BMW AG, it seems that whenever they hook your vehicle up to their system it automatically uploads everything to BMW HQ which was where they discovered the codes generated by the map.
That's bad luck mate!From your experience,at least the op and others can make an informed decision of what could happen...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
But why would they want to "find" a map, the issues that happen very rarely happen to standard 335d's anyhow and are known probs. BMW just want the warranty work anyhow!
      12-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

I've used Evolve for both live mapping and one of their 'generic' maps on two different cars and both performed very well indeed.

I have recommended them to so many people who have all come back with good feedback. I won't use anyone else to map a BMW.

One of my previous cars had a DMS map on it and it was utter rubbish, making less power than a stock car would (and the car in question was an M3 running higher lift cams, a CAI intake and exhaust system) needless to say I wasn't impressed by the claims of DMS that it was making 360bhp - it was making 310bhp when I took into Evolve who after several hours of work had it settled on 343bhp.

BTW - there is no need for a standard car to be live mapped. This would take the best part of a day, and cost a lot of money. 'Generic' maps are absolutely fine (well in Evolves case - I can't comment on other companies) as they have several maps to choose from and they try them all to see which gives the best results.

HTH

PS if you do go to Evolve tell them I sent you as I like to remind them how many people I recommend to them when I take my next car there for a remap

Dino
      12-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Martin 335d
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M Sport

As I'm based in NE Scotland I am rather limited to who I can use without travelling too far, I considered Evolve but it was too expensive for the switch, so I used a local company who are Viezu agents

They have done both of my 335d Tourers and I'm very impressed, the performance gains are good, the mpg is up by around 2.5mpg also

The price was reasonable too, £350 iirc, all in all I'm happy with the software
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Always love it when people try to "Rubbish" other tuners. Pretty hilarious.

Tony & I must have been lucky eh!
      12-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
But why would they want to "find" a map, the issues that happen very rarely happen to standard 335d's anyhow and are known probs. BMW just want the warranty work anyhow!
I'm not sure mate but they did, like I said it wasn't the dealer that found it. The 'modified' note was added to my file by BMW HQ, it flashes red on your file when they bring it up. They still carried out the warranty work though so all was well in the end and I'm waiting for Evolve to finish their development of a new piece of kit that allows for the fault codes to be deleted.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #20
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
I'm not sure mate but they did, like I said it wasn't the dealer that found it. The 'modified' note was added to my file by BMW HQ, it flashes red on your file when they bring it up. They still carried out the warranty work though so all was well in the end and I'm waiting for Evolve to finish their development of a new piece of kit that allows for the fault codes to be deleted.
I think Evolve's switch works a bit like Superchips Bluefin ... in that it removes some but not all of the error codes created by the reflashing process.

When I checked my 320d after taking off a Superchips map I found a couple of error codes the unit had not removed ; namely the auto box ECU and ABS ECU. The error codes related to where that ECU had lost communication with the main ECU (which happens as the main one is reflashed). I simply removed the codes that had been left ... but I was lucky enough at the time to have access to a rather expensive professional diagnostics computer

I would have thought BMW are guessing to a degree re the appearance of error codes ... but TBH in 9 out of 10 cases they are probably going to be right
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:08 AM   #21
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Am I correct in saying that the JB4 can remove all of these codes? If so you could delete all codes & remove the JB4 before warranty work without BMW knowing anything about it, right? I guess you could just code delete and switch back to map '0' before any work, assuming they'd not look at the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
ashley
Rep
Drives: e90 m sport

has any1 used simpson motorsport in glouster?????????? heard there awesome.
Appreciate 0