E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help! ST Coilovers or BMW Performance Suspension Upgrade?

10-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
Motorama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs & P-cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
... The SWIFTs drop approximately 1.0"F and .8"R. However, SWIFTs will not sag over time because they are linear spring rate.

-Mike
Mike, is the SWIFT springs / Koni Yellows 1.0"F and .8"R approximate drop from the sport OEM suspension? I have an M package E90 and like to achieve a similar drop.

I'm not looking to "slam" the car but to just eliminate or minimize the visible tire / fender gap space as much as possible. I was contemplating in getting KW V1s to achieve this but might consider a potentially higher quality product for possibly less $.

Thank you & sorry for the possible threadjack.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Well it depends if you are looking for height adjustability or not. Performance is not a 'height' based factor. The more slammed you are the more the original geometry of the car is upset. In my opinion I tell people to take a look at the Koni/Swift setup with the TC modified rear struts (so you can adjust dampening from the top instead of taking the whole strut out). Swift uses linear spring rates instead of progressive so you get a more consistent feeling throughout the life of your suspension. Also, as you probably know, Konis are among the best struts you can buy on the market. You can rebuild them if you so desire in the future and offer the best performance, more so than any ST, BC, or KW v1 setup people talk about. And surprisingly, the Koni/Swift setup is not THAT expensive when you look at the products you are getting. I would love to sell people Ohlins all day because they are amazing, but for a DD and just normal spirited driving, the Konis are THE BEST option and one that I will always recommend. Hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have any other questions about pricing or anything!

-Mike
Can the swift springs and koni be set up to where the spring rates yield a less harsh ride than stock sport, more like non-sport but the with the better quality ride and handling of the konis?

How does one choose amongst all those spring rates they offer?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
Mike, is the SWIFT springs / Koni Yellows 1.0"F and .8"R approximate drop from the sport OEM suspension? I have an M package E90 and like to achieve a similar drop.

I'm not looking to "slam" the car but to just eliminate or minimize the visible tire / fender gap space as much as possible. I was contemplating in getting KW V1s to achieve this but might consider a potentially higher quality product for possibly less $.

Thank you & sorry for the possible threadjack.
The SWIFT spring drop is based upon the non-sport e90 suspension. It will be enough that you still notice the difference. It will by no means slam the car, rather place the car at an optimal ride height for performance and comfort.

It is a superior product to the KW V1 and is less expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Can the swift springs and koni be set up to where the spring rates yield a less harsh ride than stock sport, more like non-sport but the with the better quality ride and handling of the konis?

How does one choose amongst all those spring rates they offer?
The spring rate that SWIFT chooses is based upon a lot of factors: Performance, comfort, etc. These springs are not racing springs that you find on such kits like my AST 4250s or Ohlins or what not. A lot more variables come into play, such as higher spring rates, different size springs, etc.

I am not able to comment on how soft you can make this setup because I have never wanted to drive a koni/swift setup with minimal dampening. It sort of defeats the purpose of getting the kit itself, lol. In my honest opinion, I can say that any performance setup, no matter what dampening level you set, will ride better than a stock setup. It may not ride like a 7 series persay, but it will give you a mental confidence in your ability to make quick maneuvers and have fun on the weekends. Hope that helped a little.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Thanks Mike. Are the spec-r springs available for a 328 e90 OR just the 335?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I can't suggest the BMW PS enough. I love my car now. BMW is cool with the upgrade, and Because it's a CPO and the parts are new everything is under a warranty where I can dump it at the dealer if there's an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
I can't suggest the BMW PS enough. I love my car now. BMW is cool with the upgrade, and Because it's a CPO and the parts are new everything is under a warranty where I can dump it at the dealer if there's an issue.
Did you look at coilover options? I am trying to decide this vs KWv2
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Read my many posts on the topic. The two kits are similar in price only. KW is not good quality. Go with quality coilovers or BMWPS.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
There are other viable options that are actually less expensive than V2s. If you are heart set on being able to adjust ride height then by all means go that route. For quality, performance, and comfort go with Koni and springs (hopefulyl swift but I have beaten that dead horse too much).

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #31
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

kw v1 and k-mac camber plates and rear camber and toe bolts

10-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
There are other viable options that are actually less expensive than V2s. If you are heart set on being able to adjust ride height then by all means go that route. For quality, performance, and comfort go with Koni and springs (hopefulyl swift but I have beaten that dead horse too much).

-Mike
Hi Mike,

Can you share what these other viable options are compared to the V2's that are more cost effective you refer too? I am still leaning towards the Koni/Swift setup we have talked about but want to make sure I make an informed decision.

Thanks,
      10-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

-Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Hi Mike,

Can you share what these other viable options are compared to the V2's that are more cost effective you refer too? I am still leaning towards the Koni/Swift setup we have talked about but want to make sure I make an informed decision.

Thanks,
Yes Mike, can you compare say a V2 competitor (but more reliable), vs BMW PS, vs Koni/Swift?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks,
For the price point, the Koni and Swift is hard to beat. Beyond that you will be looking at a Koni based single adjustable coil overs with height and rebound damping adjustability. Have a look here:

http://www.hpashop.com/TCKR-E82-E9X-...it-e82-e9x.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Yes Mike, can you compare say a V2 competitor (but more reliable), vs BMW PS, vs Koni/Swift?
The link above will take you the the Koni based single kit that is better than the V2 in terms of damping and spring rates. You will also pay a bit more than just Koni and Swift spec-r.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Thanks Mike. Are the spec-r springs available for a 328 e90 OR just the 335?
Sorry I missed your question. Yes they are available for a 328i, however your 328 might not lower as much as a 335 because of weight difference. I don't know off the top of my head (nor is it stated somewhere) and this is kind of a stab but you can look at + or - .1/.2 difference in the drop from a 335.

-Mike
Appreciate 0