E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Speed cameras: minister orders 38 to be switched off

08-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Speed cameras: minister orders 38 to be switched off

This is the best news i heard since RTA was formed.
Piece of shit RTA cameras can now rest in piece.

http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-tr...727-1hzcz.html
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Honestly, I don't get why people are worked up about cameras. You get three warnings about the upcoming camera. If you still go through it fast enough to get a fine then frankly you deserve it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Safety cameras are a bitch! I prefer speed cameras with the three sign warning.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

mmm safety cameras are the worse, get you for redlight and speeding if you mis-time your orange light dash
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Honestly, I don't get why people are worked up about cameras. You get three warnings about the upcoming camera. If you still go through it fast enough to get a fine then frankly you deserve it.
yeh thats fine and the one placed on eastern valley way near chatswood has has rec'd more than the odd donation from my wallet.

I agree that there is a sign and all but this is placed over the crest of a hill in a 60 zone. So in order to do the required 60 you need to accelerate up the hill and lets say you are on the phone (hands free of course) keeping up with the traffic and all of a sudden you hit the crest and dont lift the right foot, hey presto your doing 72 in a 60 and oops there goes another donation.

Mind you most of the time you are lucky to be doing 40 past the camera and i thought they were ment to be for safety reasons, not revenue. I can assure you there has never been an accident anywhere near this camera in the past 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Agree with pcockley but disagree with SBC.
By looking at the sign 3times on the left hand side increase the risk of not looking whats in front of you. I rather miss those 3signs and get book rather than rear end someone in front of me.

Also you never come across an unknown area where or a newly installed speed camera where someone is tailgating you?

Human were born to make mistake and learn from it and speed camera supposely help with the safety but some how it become goverment revenue generateor.
Constantly checking for speed trap/sign and monitor your speedo is a dangerous thing for you to miss whats in front of you.

I got a friend who ran over a cat while he was constantly monitoring his speedo and checking for speed camera.
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

then you will not have a license for very long lol

either way this debate has been done to death by other forums. just dont speed, or have your speed warning chime on (mine used to be set at 60, its annoying as fuck but you get used to it)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
Agree with pcockley but disagree with SBC.
By looking at the sign 3times on the left hand side increase the risk of not looking whats in front of you. I rather miss those 3signs and get book rather than rear end someone in front of me.

Also you never come across an unknown area where or a newly installed speed camera where someone is tailgating you?

I got a friend who ran over a cat while he was constantly monitoring his speedo and checking for speed camera.
Get real dave. It's not THAT hard to keep speed. The signs are pretty big - it's not like you need to look out for them like a hawk. You must have seriously poor vision/tunnel blindness or crap general road sense if you are unable to scan the road, look for signs, monitor speed simultaneously.

Driving in an unknown area - SO WHAT?! Why the hell would you be speeding anyway? Tailgaters - don't worry about them. If they rear end you it's their fault anyway. And if you speed up because they're on your ass then it means that their tailgating tactics are working. If you're driving at the speed limit then there is nothing wrong. You are totally in the right as well as "winning" against the tailgater.

Running over a cat was poor general awareness while driving. If you are SO focused on your speedo that you can't even see ahead then you shouldn't be driving either. If he was also searching for cameras then surely he would be scanning the road/area ahead of him. If he was in fact looking ahead and still ran over the cat then he has vision/attention problems. The only way your friend can be excused is if the cat ran on to the road at such a time which made any possible reaction by the driver irrelevant in determining the fate of the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
yeh thats fine and the one placed on eastern valley way near chatswood has has rec'd more than the odd donation from my wallet.
You got done multiple times at the same place. Sorry mate, but zero sympathy.

I agree that cameras on a downhill section are crap. However it's not like it's an extreme effort to just be an alert driver and drive carefully around those places. Who gives a flying fuck about the person behind you. If anything they should be happy that you are slowing down (or maintaining the right speed ) because it means they won't get done either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
Human were born to make mistake and learn from it and speed camera supposely help with the safety but some how it become goverment revenue generateor.
Quote:
Mind you most of the time you are lucky to be doing 40 past the camera and i thought they were ment to be for safety reasons, not revenue. I can assure you there has never been an accident anywhere near this camera in the past 10 years.
I can't comment about the motives for the cameras. I haven't been done and don't plan on being done so I couldn't care less about it being just revenue raising. If I get done then fair is fair. I was speeding -> I got caught -> I pay the consequences. No point complaining about the government or anyone when this form of revenue raising can be avoided by your own actions.

I'm sure you're right about your place and no accidents. But at the end of the day it's there and there isn't that much you can really do about it everyday. It might be placed there simply to be a cash cow but you can easily avoid having to donate on your behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
mmm safety cameras are the worse, get you for redlight and speeding if you mis-time your orange light dash
Don't make orange light runs at intersections with safety cameras! For crying out loud. Common sense. If you're going the correct speed then you should not have problems stopping. If you can't stop in time then obviously you're going too quick and you get caught out for that instead. Safety cameras are based on a really good idea if you think about it. The problem is that they do nothing for "Safety" in reality - and are in fact just another way of getting more money from you. But it comes back to the same thing. If you're not doing anything wrong then it wouldn't matter anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
either way this debate has been done to death by other forums. just dont speed, or have your speed warning chime on (mine used to be set at 60, its annoying as fuck but you get used to it)
+ a bajillion. No need to really argue on the same thing. Shall we bring up why everything is so expensive in Australia too?

Just be sensible! I don't mind 'spirited driving' or similar but the majority of the time if you're driving normally then there is nothing to worry about.

/end rant on my part.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

ps - I bet the same people who complain about cameras/looking at speedo etc.. are also the same people who want TV in motion unlocked...

DAAAVEE???????? Lucky you don't have it mate!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Holy heck sbc tell us what you really think!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #11
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
“You borrow my brain for 5 seconds and just be like ‘dude can’t handle it unplug this bastard’ yeah because it just it fires in a way that’s just is um I don’t know maybe not from this particular terrestrial realm.”

- Charlie Sheen

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #12
pcockley
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=SBC;10151211]
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Well that didn't work... Any way dude put the weed down
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
LOL, I am sure no one is perfect and sooner or later it will happen. When it does you will probably know what i meant. (Trust me you rarely blame yourself when you get fined)
My point is you can't always drive with 100% attention and there is millions of reason that can affect your driving skill.

So just like you said, hopefully everyone of us obey the speed limit therefore no one get fined.

Peace
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Mark_20D
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 320D

Wish they got rid of half the cameras in VIC. Some are blatantly there for revenue raising and we dont get 3 signs to warn us first.
Appreciate 0