E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Smooth run regulation : correction quantity to high

01-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Smooth run regulation : correction quantity to high

i have pulled this error out from my E93 yesterday

4B10 was the code. on the net. maybe its injector but its the correct quantity too high that is confusing me, what does this mean? when the values go over a certain number? can this be fixed easily or does it mean bad injector or something a laptop can fix?

couldnt find much info on search
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

took the car out for a drive today with INPA wired up. the heavier i went on the foot the more Cylinder 1 was going over tolerance

i take it cylinder 1 injector needs changing?

its funny as 4B10 error says correction quantity too high so not sure what to do next

any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Sorry to hijack but which menu do you go into to read live engine data?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinous View Post
Sorry to hijack but which menu do you go into to read live engine data?
start the car. plug into INPA. select engine code. once your on main page where you see error memory etc. click F5 to read status. and i think its F4 after that for injectors
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I've got no knowledge of the app you use (we use Autologic/ISTA-BMW Diagnostic set up's where I work) but looking at injector 1 as you say looks to be off the scale, but I was also looking at No3 and 5 too as their values may well have an influence in the way your cars running as their values look to be a little suspect. No2 & 6 values are a little high and No4 seems to on these figures at least be the fittest of the lot.

I'd say a good old fashioned leak off test if there was a doubt would help, as a decent leak off test will visually aid the decision re where your going with the car, injector 1 looks conclusive, you may well find some of the other injectors may be compensating for No1's failure(we see this from time to time) but the test wouldn't be a bad move, you could if in any doubt shift injector 1 from say cylinder 1 to say 4 and 4 to 1 and re run the test but at a guess I suspect that maybe more than 1 injector may be influencing the cars behaviour
      01-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
start the car. plug into INPA. select engine code. once your on main page where you see error memory etc. click F5 to read status. and i think its F4 after that for injectors
ta muchly
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
I've got no knowledge of the app you use (we use Autologic/ISTA-BMW Diagnostic set up's where I work) but looking at injector 1 as you say looks to be off the scale, but I was also looking at No3 and 5 too as their values may well have an influence in the way your cars running as their values look to be a little suspect. No2 & 6 values are a little high and No4 seems to on these figures at least be the fittest of the lot.

I'd say a good old fashioned leak off test if there was a doubt would help, as a decent leak off test will visually aid the decision re where your going with the car, injector 1 looks conclusive, you may well find some of the other injectors may be compensating for No1's failure(we see this from time to time) but the test wouldn't be a bad move, you could if in any doubt shift injector 1 from say cylinder 1 to say 4 and 4 to 1 and re run the test but at a guess I suspect that maybe more than 1 injector may be influencing the cars behaviour
thanks steve! how do i do the leak off test?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks steve! how do i do the leak off test?
You need to find a place that ideally has the ability to carryout a leak off test and ideally also has BMW spec diagnostic capability like AutoLogic and more importantly decent knowledge re looking for more than the obvious and will use a bit of common sense re fault finding.

Leak off tests when carried out visually show which injector is the obvious candidate but wil also show visually injectors that maybe struggling or breaking down and the evidence will be there for you to see.

Ideally the difference between each "tube" should be less than 10%, ideally you'd like to see a nice level set of visual results. When one bottle fills up rapidly and others don't visually you're on to something if the diagnostic figures match the visual figures then you have 2 clear bits of evidence to go on.

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-20-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You need to find a place that ideally has the ability to carryout a leak off test and ideally also has BMW spec diagnostic capability like AutoLogic and more importantly decent knowledge re looking for more than the obvious and will use a bit of common sense re fault finding.

Leak off tests when carried out visually show which injector is the obvious candidate but wil also show visually injectors that maybe struggling or breaking down and the evidence will be there for you to see.
thanks again steve, when taking injectors out? does the manifold need to come off? reason i ask is im changing glowplugs this weekend and will try and have a look at them to see state (thats if i can get injector out after seeing some crazy vids on youtube). if i cant find much ill defo get indy to look at them
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks again steve, when taking injectors out? does the manifold need to come off? reason i ask is im changing glowplugs this weekend and will try and have a look at them to see state (thats if i can get injector out after seeing some crazy vids on youtube). if i cant find much ill defo get indy to look at them
If your doing the glows makes sense to do everything in one go I'd say(time permitting) therefore you'd be removing the inlet manifold (if you've got swirl flaps ideal time to remove these too) for the glow's of course, with the manifold off then everythings nice'n'open for you do carry out the required injector replacement I guess and also you'll be able to check replace where necessary the air filter/breather too
      01-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If your doing the glows makes sense to do everything in one go I'd say(time permitting) therefore you'd be removing the inlet manifold (if you've got swirl flaps ideal time to remove these too) for the glow's of course, with the manifold off then everythings nice'n'open for you do carry out the required injector replacement I guess and also you'll be able to check replace where necessary the air filter/breather too
yuppp, thats the plan steve. just dont think many UK sellers sell Swirl flap blanks and inlet gaskets for E9X. seems they come from europe which takes a few days to get here so doubt ill get for weekend! plan is full service, change glows. blank flaps and inspect injectors.

thanks for all your help
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yuppp, thats the plan steve. just dont think many UK sellers sell Swirl flap blanks and inlet gaskets for E9X. seems they come from europe which takes a few days to get here so doubt ill get for weekend! plan is full service, change glows. blank flaps and inspect injectors.

thanks for all your help
We sell blanks have around 1000 in stock(buy in bulk see)places like PMW Chelmsford do www.swirlflaps.co.uk/ is a good mail order place for your blanks, there are 2 sizes to chose from so be careful, your's being a 330d should be the larger one's