E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Ever have a rat chew through your electrical bits?

01-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
JJaber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Ever have a rat chew through your electrical bits?

Hey all -

Long story short -

I was driving around and I get a low oil light saying my oil level is below the minimum level and I need to pull over and add a quart of oil. This didn't make sense, as I just had my oil changed about 7 months ago and it has always been at the Max line.

I pulled over and noticed a rat or squirrel (or other gremlin) chewed up the 3 electrical wires going to my oil filter housing sensor. I think its the oil pressure sensor on the N55. All three wires were chewed up and severed.

I decided to splice some new wires in its place using the same wire from a doner harness (not the same connector, unfortunately). I soldered the connection and used heat shrink + electrical tape to seal everything. Car battery was unplugged during this process.

The good news is the oil level is back to reading normally. The bad news is my oil temp gauge doesn't move, even after 30 minutes of driving, which makes me feel very uncomfortable and question if its safe to drive around like this.

Any ideas?

Car specs: 2013 E92 335i N55 M-Sport