E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Xenon rainbow going yellow..?

02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Xenon rainbow going yellow..?

2008 E91 328xi with factory Xenons.

With all the freshly snow-packed roads where I live, I have recently been noticing my xenons casting a strange yellow hue on the white road in front of me. It would be impossible to get a good pic of it, but imagine the rainbow-edge of a xenon cutoff, but with a noticeable highlight of two yellow-ish tinted vertical streaks through the center of each beam.

I never noticed it before (this is my first winter in this car), so I don't know if its always been there and I've just never noticed or if something is actually wrong or failing with the bulbs - but...both at once?! My best guess is I'm just seeing the right-edge cutoff of the left beam and the left-edge cutoff of the right beam overlaid on each other.

Anyone have any idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Would be best to pull up to a wall or a garage and take a picture of it. Have you changed your bulbs at all since you have purchased the vehicle? If they are the original bulbs then it would be a good idea to upgrade them. Going on 5 years now, a lot of the color will have been washed out to a bright white/yellow, the older the bulbs are, the brigther they get, which decreases the color. Your bulbs are probably close to a 4000K, vs the OEM 4300-5000K.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Would be best to pull up to a wall or a garage and take a picture of it. Have you changed your bulbs at all since you have purchased the vehicle? If they are the original bulbs then it would be a good idea to upgrade them. Going on 5 years now, a lot of the color will have been washed out to a bright white/yellow, the older the bulbs are, the brigther they get, which decreases the color. Your bulbs are probably close to a 4000K, vs the OEM 4300-5000K.
I thought xenon's went more blue when they died (?), but you're right 4000k looks more like the colour I'm seeing on the snow-covered roads now. Could be my imagination, but I'd say it's gotten even MORE yellow even since I mentioned it here. I will try to take a pic just for reference but the bulbs are indeed original. The car is new-to-me 2008 (11/07) so over 5 years on a set of xenons (88k km's / 55k mi's) - not sure of the expected lifespan, but that seems pretty good for any non-led bulb I'd say? Probably time for a new set?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
I thought xenon's went more blue when they died (?), but you're right 4000k looks more like the colour I'm seeing on the snow-covered roads now. Could be my imagination, but I'd say it's gotten even MORE yellow even since I mentioned it here. I will try to take a pic just for reference but the bulbs are indeed original. The car is new-to-me 2008 (11/07) so over 5 years on a set of xenons (88k km's / 55k mi's) - not sure of the expected lifespan, but that seems pretty good for any non-led bulb I'd say? Probably time for a new set?
Xenons are expected to last a long time. You still have light, so you still have life left, it is just that the gas and salts inside the bulb will turn to a different color as it ages over time. They will get brighter, but the brighter the bulb, the more light output, the more yellow the color.

I have the same year and build date as you. I have not cared about mine since I bought it, but it is definitely time for a headlight refresh. New bulbs are definitely in store along with a complete refresh of the headlamps.

Look at TheReftrofitSource for new bulbs. The D1S Osram CBI 5000K is the brightest bulb on the market that will give you the blue look that you want and maintain the lumens.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Xenons are expected to last a long time. You still have light, so you still have life left, it is just that the gas and salts inside the bulb will turn to a different color as it ages over time. They will get brighter, but the brighter the bulb, the more light output, the more yellow the color.

I have the same year and build date as you. I have not cared about mine since I bought it, but it is definitely time for a headlight refresh. New bulbs are definitely in store along with a complete refresh of the headlamps.

Look at TheReftrofitSource for new bulbs. The D1S Osram CBI 5000K is the brightest bulb on the market that will give you the blue look that you want and maintain the lumens.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp
Quote:

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Actually the bulbs color shifts within the first couple hundred hours of use. Usually a bright white with slight yellowish hue to a pure white light and this is the period where they would be at their brightest giving the most lumens, then white with a blueish hue. During this phase when they're slightly blue you're also losing lumens and will continue as the bulb ages and turns more of a blue color.
HIDs dim out over time. You can spend the money for the CBI's or just but a set of normal 4300k and let them color shift to 4800k after couple hundred hours of use.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0