E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi vs 911 4s

12-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
My head is exploding from the mere existence of this thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #46
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
I came to the conclusion after his first post that the OP has no clue in hell what he really wants. Or no general knowledge of cars whatsoever. But hey continue throwing out suggestions
+1000
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #47
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
What about oil starvation and cylinder scoring? Plus clutch is not really driver dependant, most Porsche owners replace at 40-60k I read, where as Honda clutch can do easy 200k
This discussion has no business talking about a Honda clutch. There are plenty of 996 owners with 100k on their clutches. Understand the RMS, a common warranty item, requires the tranny pulled. As does the IMS. Not even semi-crappy shop would do those replacements without recommending the clutch at the same time. You are going to see a lot of clutch replacement on those cars before they are actually worn. People tend to drive them more aggressively than a 3 series, which is a more typical daily driver.

Oil starvation on the 3.4L is attributed to track use on slicks and there are factory and aftermarket kits to address this and it doesn't happen to everyone. Some say overfilling the oil by 1/2 a quart will prevent the issue.

I don't recall enough complaints with cylinder scoring to be a common issue (unless associated with an IMS bearing failure).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #48
acassis
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
I came to the conclusion after his first post that the OP has no clue in hell what he really wants. Or no general knowledge of cars whatsoever. But hey continue throwing out suggestions
or i basically said exactly what i was looking for. enjoy spending NYE alone you jackanape
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #49
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

still don't know if this is a real question....
      12-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #50
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
So what classifies let's say an evo x as a sports car?

Take away the names and compare..

Twin turbo, 6spd, 4dr..
Single turbo, 6spd, 4dr..

Can you guess which is which?

But the evo x is considered a sports car.. Not sure I understand.. I know on technicality our car is not in that class but I say why not?

The Mitsubishi Evo X has an advanced AWD system, a suspension system and brakes that are more suitable for rally/track usage, has a LSD, the car is designed to be more aerodynamic, it's lighter, comes with performance tires, etc. A car designed with performance in mind and comfort second.

Most of the e90s may have "sport/ M-sport suspension" but it's definitely not as good as the Evo's suspension system. Same thing when you compare our car's factory brake system, tires, weight, etc. Our cars don't come with LSD from the factory or an advanced AWD system that's geared towards rally/track usage.

The "sports car" of the 3 series would be the M3. It's designed for performance first, luxury/comfort second.
Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
This discussion has no business talking about a Honda clutch. There are plenty of 996 owners with 100k on their clutches. Understand the RMS, a common warranty item, requires the tranny pulled. As does the IMS. Not even semi-crappy shop would do those replacements without recommending the clutch at the same time. You are going to see a lot of clutch replacement on those cars before they are actually worn. People tend to drive them more aggressively than a 3 series, which is a more typical daily driver.

Oil starvation on the 3.4L is attributed to track use on slicks and there are factory and aftermarket kits to address this and it doesn't happen to everyone. Some say overfilling the oil by 1/2 a quart will prevent the issue.

I don't recall enough complaints with cylinder scoring to be a common issue (unless associated with an IMS bearing failure).
I've done a bit of research on 987s not much on 996s (almost bought one last year). Oil starvation is present in both which is ridiculous and no one recommends to even take Cayman to track without mods cause it will blow an engine. Cylinder scoring might not be common issue, but again it's present in like all Porsches. As far as clutch goes, its actually the other way around as I read, many baby their Caymans and still end up with new clutch by 60k miles. And I think Honda does have business here lol, many S2k owners have 200k on original clutchs that still work fine, probably not a single person had to replace one at 50k. Plus Porsche warranty is a joke, you blow an engine 1 mile past the warranty and you are fucked

We are not talking here about some car that Jose built in his backyard, its Porsche and its a sports track ready car, none of those issues are acceptable, just shows that they simply don't care. (Or didnt care). Yes some issues are ok, but so many issues for so many year and so major...no. N54 with its HPFPs is a gods present in comparison

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 12-31-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #52
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' N54 6SPD E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07335i View Post
The Mitsubishi Evo X has an advanced AWD system, a suspension system and brakes that are more suitable for rally/track usage, has a LSD, the car is designed to be more aerodynamic, it's lighter, comes with performance tires, etc. A car designed with performance in mind and comfort second.

Most of the e90s may have "sport/ M-sport suspension" but it's definitely not as good as the Evo's suspension system. Same thing when you compare our car's factory brake system, tires, weight, etc. Our cars don't come with LSD from the factory or an advanced AWD system that's geared towards rally/track usage.

The "sports car" of the 3 series would be the M3. It's designed for performance first, luxury/comfort second.

Whoa mind blown bro good shit
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #53
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by acassis View Post
or i basically said exactly what i was looking for. enjoy spending NYE alone you jackanape
OP starting out on the right foot I see..
Appreciate 0