E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My honest review of Cobb vs. JB4

03-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

My honest review of Cobb vs. JB4

I just wanted to throw up a quick honest review of the Cobb AP vs. JB4... since I have personally owned, and tried out both of them on my car back to back.
And hopefully by reading this, it will help some of the new people on deciding which tune they want without posting up the age old question on which one is best!

So, to start off...
I bought my 2008 E92 335xi bone stock in November 2011 with 54k miles on it. Then in December I starting buying my mods. I only installed the JB4 at first, and almost immediately I starting getting misfires. So I replaced all my plugs and I only got a small taste of what it felt like before it started misfiring again... So I removed the JB4, took the car to the dealer, and they replaced one of the injectors under my used car warranty. 3 Injectors and the HPFP was already replaced under the recall. So when I got the car back, I bought and installed the Cobb AP and I ran Stage 1 aggressive linear and stock throttle maps. I was pretty impressed at this point because I never really felt a tune actually work without misfiring. So to me, the car ran great and the Cobb felt pretty smooth... but after a week it started misfiring again. So after about a months time of trying to fix the problem, I cleaned the intake valves and replaced the last two injectors and coded them... and all was good. I confirmed this by driving Stage 1 for a week and beating the piss out of it! It ran great and I was happy. The car ran smooth for the most part and the stock throttle map was fun, but almost too boost happy IMO and the power seemed to fall off on the top end of the RPM band.
So after being teased with Stage 1, I bolted on the rest of my mods in my signature and I loaded up the Stage 2+ FMIC! The car immediately sounded different, and it ran great for the most part. When going WOT it pulled really hard, but it still seemed to fall short on the top end like Stage 1 did. And like many people have said, it also had its glitches mid RPM and IMO it just wasn't as smooth when going part throttle during the everyday spirited driving. The boost seemed to ramp really fast and had that oscillating feeling. So needless to say, I wasn't that impressed at this point.

So I uninstalled the Cobb AP and I re-installed the JB4. I just wanted to try it out again, because I vaguely remembered how hard it pulled on map 1 and continued to pull that hard all the way to redline... at least before it started misfiring almost right away. So this time I ran the auto tuning map 5 with the latest updated firmware, and after about a day of driving it, I was in love! Once the engine is warmed up, it is very smooth feeling at all throttle positions and pretty aggressive if you want it to be, but not overly boost happy like the Cobb was on a stock throttle map. So I guess you could say its more like the linear throttle from Cobb.. Anyway, at WOT this JB4 pulls hard!! And it just keeps on pulling hard all the way to redline!! So needless to say, I think it has a very slight edge in power on the Cobb only because it just keeps pulling hard all the way to redline... It also seems faster then the Cobb, because I think Cobb's torque management limits the torque around the shift points? Because I know for a fact that the JB4 definitely shifts much harder and puts you back into the seat on each shift.. where as the Cobb seems to just glide into the next gear. All this of course is related to the automatic car and I have no experience with the 6MT car.

So after getting a taste of Map 5 for a couple days... I switched over to the meth enabled map 3 (which I heard is also auto tuning?) and I tried meth for the first time... Needless to say, it is unbelievably powerful and very addicting when that meth kicks in!!! And Map 3 doesn't feel that much different then Map 5 when driving around town and doing the normal part throttle spirited driving. Once the car is warm, it is very smooth and I couldn't be happier at this point... well except for wanting to do the 15ohm upgrade to the board and run even more boost!

And of course the JB4's in dash features, are just icing on the cake! Features like reading and clearing codes, switching maps on the fly in seconds, gauge hijacking (turning the fuel and temp gauges into just about any useful gauge you want them to be), an adjustable built in shift light, and so much more! And for even more, you can plug in your laptop and view live engine data, data log runs and view them right there on the screen, save them or do whatever you want to do... along with making changes to the user adjustable settings and so on...

As for the Cobb AP, it is great if you want something easy to install/uninstall, because it only takes plugging it in to the OBD port and pushing some buttons to load it up. You also get to use the AP as a nice hand held device that has some cool features, like viewing TONS of live engine data/stats (but only one at a time), you can read and clear codes, change maps, data log runs, and the screen will flash for a shift light, but thats about it... You can run the car without the AP plugged in, but if you want to use any of those cool features, you have to have the AP plugged in to do any of that stuff. You also have to pull the car over and shut the engine off in order to change maps (some people claim it only takes a couple minutes) but mine always took at least 5 minutes or more to do the change (kind of annoying IMO sitting along side the road waiting for it to do its thing)... and mine was updated with the latest firmware and maps at the time. And as for the data logging, sure you can record logs on the fly, but in order to view the logs you still have to use your laptop/computer anyway. But for the simplicity of things, it is great for many people, and there are TONS of happy customers with the Cobb AP... but as it turned out, it just wasn't my cup of tea
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

nice i want a jb4 realll bad......good review.......i still love my jb3 but
2009 BSM lci e90 335i 6mt xdrive - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Cobb for sale?
      03-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post
I cleaned the intake valves
sorry did not see if anyone asked.
did you get that done under warranty?
      03-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

OP can you try the new Beta maps and re-test.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
mecanoman6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 & F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 E92/ 335I  [0.00]
2008 E92/ 335I  [0.00]
Great input, really the first realistic review I have seen
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Out torque numbers tend to be higher giving the feeling that the power falls off. Our competitors tend to ramp power as the RPMs climb giving the feeling of pulling to red line.

I think you might be pleased with running the v400 mapping located here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-Access...s/bmw/bmw-grid
Simply click on the BETA button.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchomini View Post
u gotta upgrade to the JB4....night and day!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
sorry did not see if anyone asked.
did you get that done under warranty?
Nope... I ended up doing it myself because my car did not have any warranty left over after the 60 day used car warranty was up.
Here is the thread I started on the valve cleaning
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645616
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And sorry guys... I was too impatient to wait for Cobb's updated maps... and I already sold the Cobb AP a couple weeks ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Damn I hate reading great reviews on JB4! Only because it encourages me to want to get it!
      03-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Thanks for the review OP! I've heard great things about Cobb but many on this forum forget the JB4 is also a great tune with tons of features. Send BMS a CSV of map 3 and they can help you get even more out of that meth performance too if you want.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
335iJWC
~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 335i-M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Great!! review OP now i cant wait for my JB4 to get rid of my enoying TPMS light.

i should ask terry if i could be one of the testers.
      03-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchomini View Post
JB3 FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Thanks for the honest review, basically my same feelings...
JB4 felt more agressive and powerful, and along with the in dash features/commands, it obv. overwhelmes the easy install that the advantage COBB has over the JB4.
      03-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
Chalo1
335I ALSO KNOW AS.............ANGRY BIRD.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

Just To Add To Your Experience...........i Share The Same Experience. I To Tested Both And Jb4 And Cobb......the Winner Was Clearly The Jb4 On My 335i 2008 E90
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
Dark9T
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Red 335i E92 AT

Quote:
I just wanted to throw up a quick honest review of the Cobb AP vs. JB4... since I have personally owned, and tried out both of them on my car back to back.
And hopefully by reading this, it will help some of the new people on deciding which tune they want without posting up the age old question on which one is best!

So, to start off...
I bought my 2008 E92 335xi bone stock in November 2011 with 54k miles on it. Then in December I starting buying my mods. I only installed the JB4 at first, and almost immediately I starting getting misfires. So I replaced all my plugs and I only got a small taste of what it felt like before it started misfiring again... So I removed the JB4, took the car to the dealer, and they replaced one of the injectors under my used car warranty. 3 Injectors and the HPFP was already replaced under the recall. So when I got the car back, I bought and installed the Cobb AP and I ran Stage 1 aggressive linear and stock throttle maps. I was pretty impressed at this point because I never really felt a tune actually work without misfiring. So to me, the car ran great and the Cobb felt pretty smooth... but after a week it started misfiring again. So after about a months time of trying to fix the problem, I cleaned the intake valves and replaced the last two injectors and coded them... and all was good. I confirmed this by driving Stage 1 for a week and beating the piss out of it! It ran great and I was happy. The car ran smooth for the most part and the stock throttle map was fun, but almost too boost happy IMO and the power seemed to fall off on the top end of the RPM band.
So after being teased with Stage 1, I bolted on the rest of my mods in my signature and I loaded up the Stage 2+ FMIC! The car immediately sounded different, and it ran great for the most part. When going WOT it pulled really hard, but it still seemed to fall short on the top end like Stage 1 did. And like many people have said, it also had its glitches mid RPM and IMO it just wasn't as smooth when going part throttle during the everyday spirited driving. The boost seemed to ramp really fast and had that oscillating feeling. So needless to say, I wasn't that impressed at this point.

So I uninstalled the Cobb AP and I re-installed the JB4. I just wanted to try it out again, because I vaguely remembered how hard it pulled on map 1 and continued to pull that hard all the way to redline... at least before it started misfiring almost right away. So this time I ran the auto tuning map 5 with the latest updated firmware, and after about a day of driving it, I was in love! Once the engine is warmed up, it is very smooth feeling at all throttle positions and pretty aggressive if you want it to be, but not overly boost happy like the Cobb was on a stock throttle map. So I guess you could say its more like the linear throttle from Cobb.. Anyway, at WOT this JB4 pulls hard!! And it just keeps on pulling hard all the way to redline!! So needless to say, I think it has a very slight edge in power on the Cobb only because it just keeps pulling hard all the way to redline... It also seems faster then the Cobb, because I think Cobb's torque management limits the torque around the shift points? Because I know for a fact that the JB4 definitely shifts much harder and puts you back into the seat on each shift.. where as the Cobb seems to just glide into the next gear. All this of course is related to the automatic car and I have no experience with the 6MT car.

So after getting a taste of Map 5 for a couple days... I switched over to the meth enabled map 3 (which I heard is also auto tuning?) and I tried meth for the first time... Needless to say, it is unbelievably powerful and very addicting when that meth kicks in!!! And Map 3 doesn't feel that much different then Map 5 when driving around town and doing the normal part throttle spirited driving. Once the car is warm, it is very smooth and I couldn't be happier at this point... well except for wanting to do the 15ohm upgrade to the board and run even more boost!

And of course the JB4's in dash features, are just icing on the cake! Features like reading and clearing codes, switching maps on the fly in seconds, gauge hijacking (turning the fuel and temp gauges into just about any useful gauge you want them to be), an adjustable built in shift light, and so much more! And for even more, you can plug in your laptop and view live engine data, data log runs and view them right there on the screen, save them or do whatever you want to do... along with making changes to the user adjustable settings and so on...

As for the Cobb AP, it is great if you want something easy to install/uninstall, because it only takes plugging it in to the OBD port and pushing some buttons to load it up. You also get to use the AP as a nice hand held device that has some cool features, like viewing TONS of live engine data/stats (but only one at a time), you can read and clear codes, change maps, data log runs, and the screen will flash for a shift light, but thats about it... You can run the car without the AP plugged in, but if you want to use any of those cool features, you have to have the AP plugged in to do any of that stuff. You also have to pull the car over and shut the engine off in order to change maps (some people claim it only takes a couple minutes) but mine always took at least 5 minutes or more to do the change (kind of annoying IMO sitting along side the road waiting for it to do its thing)... and mine was updated with the latest firmware and maps at the time. And as for the data logging, sure you can record logs on the fly, but in order to view the logs you still have to use your laptop/computer anyway. But for the simplicity of things, it is great for many people, and there are TONS of happy customers with the Cobb AP... but as it turned out, it just wasn't my cup of tea
Nice review +1
Will be nice if you try out the procede and wait till the cobb alpha OTS race map..
JB4,Procede and cobb is the way to go for N54!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iJWC View Post
Great!! review OP now i cant wait for my JB4 to get rid of my enoying TPMS light.

i should ask terry if i could be one of the testers.
Email him! He needs a few more guys to test it before posting it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Slimer777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

Quote:
And sorry guys... I was too impatient to wait for Cobb's updated maps... and I already sold the Cobb AP a couple weeks ago...
The Cobb V4.0 FMIC map is very strong. Wish you can give us a comparison with this new map!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
JB3 FTW!
hahaha, yeah def, it gets the job done thats for sure.......I want a jb4 for the other features more so than the smoothness and power increase....obviously i would like those as well. My jb3 is awesome and it only coast me 100$ so i reallly can complain. I only have dcis and catless mufflerless exhaust so i feel i dont need the jb4 until i get some more mods and am going all out performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
u gotta upgrade to the JB4....night and day!
damn........i didnt want to hear this hahaha.....yeah its on my list. Suspension is coming first and then when i get downpipes im gonna grab a jb4 while im at it......itll be a whole new car. What i really need is rwd.....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
unoriginal
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

great review.. thanks
Appreciate 0