E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help me detail my car

04-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Help me detail my car

I'm planing on detailing my car this weekend. Car has some scratches from the previous owner, and swirls from washing during winter. Other than that, it looks great. I just did the interior and its super clean and smells good (Zaino Z9, Z10)

This is what I was planning on doing:
wash and clay
Megs DACP on orange pad for trunk and hood (these have scratches)
Klasse AIO on white pad rest of car
Klasse SG as sealant, hand applied with microfiber pad, multiple coats 6 hrs apart
Front of car, do AIO and SG by hand with microfiber pad

I need to use something on the clear bra. What can I use to protect it? AIO and SG good? Last car I had I buffed the bra and it created permanent swirls. Im trying to avoid that, reason why Im doing by hand. Not to mention the dirt that gets wedged in the edges of the bra.

When I bought the car, it was sent to a detailer that used some dressing on the plastic and some metal areas of the car (engine, gas area, trunk area, wipers). This created a very slick waterproof coat that looked great and lasted very long. I used 303 on these parts and while it looks good, It wont be as water proof, and wont last as long. I would like suggestions on what to use.

My bottle of 303 broke yesterday, so I'm planning on ordering supplies. Suggestions welcomed.

Here is a list of products that i have.

Klasse AIO and SG
Menzerna IP and FP
Megs #16 (rare, still have some, great wax)
Megs #26 (doesnt last long)
PC 7424 with Orange, yellow, white, black pads
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Clear Bra - simple sealant/wax/or even a light polsihing to remove the light swirls. When I say "light polisihing" I mean very light if using a PC. Use the white pad followed up by the black.

Clear bra material is stronger now than in the past and is able to withstand some polishing. Use a credit card to remove residue from the edges ......... preferably a gold card if available. ;-)

I order everything from Chemical Guys and haven't been satisfied with the majority of products I've used. Lots of trial & error along the way.

I use the Natural Matte Finish for exterior trim protection including tires. The finish leaves a beautiful finish without the exhausting shine.

Anymore questions?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Rockyca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

For paint correction I use Meg's M105... a little bit of a learning curve due to the dusting and what not but I have not seen anything cut quicker than this stuff.

I follow it up with m205 with a white pad and apply your wax of choosing...

You could try the AIO followed up with a good wax for double the protection

I don't really do much for the exterior "plastic" surfaces as my e90 doesnt really have any.

For tire dressing I use AutoGlym rubber / vinyl cleaner / protector.. diluted. leaves a really nice "new tire" look. I am not into the shiny bling factor though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

It really is trial and error.

This is my first dark colored car in 7 years. Before this I had a white STI. Its paint was so soft i could get all the swirls and scratches out with only Menzerna final polish and white pad.

I did detail my car on Friday and was not happy about it. Here is what I learned:
- I need proper lighting. My garage is not lit enough. Ill have to get flood lights or something. Very important for next time.
- Need to pick a better day to do this work. Worked on car Thursday and Friday and had to use car Friday afternoon. Weekend rained so that sucked.
- Klasse AIO and SG by hand for front bumper with clear bra works good. I did not want to risk making buffer marks on bra.
- The BMW paint is hard. I used a yellow pad on hood and trunk and that took all swirls out. Still left some deep scratches though. Old owner didnt take care of car.
- Megs #16 is a bitch to remove. This wax lasts very long but it needs to be thinly applied and removed completely.
- Keep buffer straight to not leave buffer marks. Tilted it when applying the wax and that left a thick coat of wax marks that I did not noticed due to improper light.
- Using blue tape works wonders. Makes up really quick for the 30 mins of prep time putting it up.

My product box contains waxes and polishes from 10 years ago. My 303 bottle was so old that it shattered when I dropped it. I think I need to get up to date on these.

I think I'm going to get Megs DA kit. Ive seen great results from users here. That or just the MF cutting pad, D300, and M205. I could apply M205 with my white pads and the top it off with some good wax. My white pads are new from this year.

Does the above sound like a good plan?
What wax would be suggested for Monaco Blue car?
What car soap could i use to strip oils and waxes prior to working on car?
I used 1 pad per side of car. Should I change every other panel?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
vapore0n
Captain
Rep

Oh, another thing I learned (something I had forgotten)
Spring is a bad time to detail car.
Car gets full of pollen the second you drive it out of the garage. And there is a 90% change it will rain that same day or the following day.

Its been raining here since Sat night. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Yes the BMW metallic paint is rock hard. I had some minor surface marring and used a 7424XP, orange pad and M105. Didn't do as good of a job as I wanted. I needed a stronger and smaller pad; for next time I bought a 4" backing plate and some yellow pads.

And lighting is absolutely critical ... I used sunlight but resorted to a flashlight for the sides of the car. PITA. Next time I will buy a 3M sun gun.