E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 335

08-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Hi, I have got my 335 today, just a question:

- when I park the car and home and open the bonnet to have a look, I found a weird deep tone, may I ask if that is a normal sound?
Video (sound at around 0:05)

The car really has a lot more power than 325, apart from the lighter than 325i steering wheel (have no idea why), and the iDrive is slower than my 325 business version, i think generally the 335 is a lot better.

*it seems like the iDrive in my 335 has a 0.5 to 1 sec delay after I press and choose a function. May I ask if it is normal? (My previous 325 business version is very responsive and no delay)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Congrats on your purchase! Sounds very much like mine under my hood. Although in videos its tough to distinct small differences. Also may i ask how many KM is yours on?
Yeh the Idrive in PreLCI can be leggy and slow. Wait till you plug a USB inside to play music. Sometimes it just ffreeze and you can choose music. But could be because win using 8GB.
Again. Glad your happy with the purchase
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Sounds very much like mine under my hood. Although in videos its tough to distinct small differences. Also may i ask how many KM is yours on?
Yeh the Idrive in PreLCI can be leggy and slow. Wait till you plug a USB inside to play music. Sometimes it just ffreeze and you can choose music. But could be because win using 8GB.
Again. Glad your happy with the purchase
74k km

The iDrive in my previous 325 was a lot more responsive, it's a pre LCI model too. I am just wonder if it is the professional system making it slower?

For the car, finger crossed that everything goes well.
When I picked up the car from the dealership today, and when I started the car, I heard some metal sound, like some sort of things being loosen, dealer said that it is normal and asked me to hit the pedal. But the sound goes away after a few sec, and all the startup since then were fine without that sound. I feel like that sound is due to a cold start? The engine has been warmed up since the 1st startup and that might be the reason why the sound is gone? Any thoughts?

I will bring the car to workshop for another inspection later this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

I-drive lag is normal, mine takes 1 second or more to register anything... And anything from 10 to 30 seconds to read a MP3 cd.

Mine didn't even came optioned with us input...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
74k km

The iDrive in my previous 325 was a lot more responsive, it's a pre LCI model too. I am just wonder if it is the professional system making it slower?

For the car, finger crossed that everything goes well.
When I picked up the car from the dealership today, and when I started the car, I heard some metal sound, like some sort of things being loosen, dealer said that it is normal and asked me to hit the pedal. But the sound goes away after a few sec, and all the startup since then were fine without that sound. I feel like that sound is due to a cold start? The engine has been warmed up since the 1st startup and that might be the reason why the sound is gone? Any thoughts?

I will bring the car to workshop for another inspection later this month.
If you got metal rattle sounds I'm sure you may heard of this before but it could be wastegate rattles. Which are more noticeable during cold starts YouTube waste gate rattle and see if it's them sounds. They vary a lot 1 or 2 light rattles to constant rattling which I've got. There's no mechanical harm in wastegate rattles it just sounds annoying and cheap lol so don't worry too much if it's rattles.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Congrats CYL glad to hear you got your car. Post pics please
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I can hear injector ticks, thats normal. Not sure about the weird deep tone you mention
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
oh you bought a 335 congratulations mate
      08-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Wow you sure didn't waste any time looking for a new car! Congrats
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Congrats on the purchase.

Bring on the mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
BMOmega
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cayenne Turbo 958

Congrats on your 335. Soon to be FBO 335?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
CYL
Major
Rep

Hi All, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
If you got metal rattle sounds I'm sure you may heard of this before but it could be wastegate rattles. Which are more noticeable during cold starts YouTube waste gate rattle and see if it's them sounds. They vary a lot 1 or 2 light rattles to constant rattling which I've got. There's no mechanical harm in wastegate rattles it just sounds annoying and cheap lol so don't worry too much if it's rattles.
I will post a video later today after work.
I believe my guess on cold start only is correct since I have got this again this morning. Same as to yesterday, only happned when I pick up the car, and all startup since then were fine.
Is the wastegate rattle can be fixed? it really sounds annoying and cheap, like the exhaust is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOmega View Post
Congrats on your 335. Soon to be FBO 335?
May I ask what is FBO?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

FBO = Full bolt on ie front mount intercooler, dual cone intake (DCI), downpipes, charge pipe, tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Is the wastegate rattle can be fixed? it really sounds annoying and cheap, like the exhaust is broken.
Yes time to trade the 335i in for a M3, the wastegate rattle will be eliminated

P.S have you measured your wheel to guards yet, to ensure they're all even???
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Yes time to trade the 335i in for a M3, the wastegate rattle will be eliminated

P.S have you measured your wheel to guards yet, to ensure they're all even???
I love the shape on the M3, but really too much fuel consumption for a daily car, not to mention that I don't have that money to spend on a decent M3.
But I reckon the new M3 is better looking than the M4. whereas the E90 M3 looks very ugly.

I found that the wheel to the guard are still uneven on this 335, so, same problem as to my previous 325. I have no idea why....
I thought it was the suspension issue in my 325 previously, but now, it happens again on the 335...so...maybe it's really the design of the M sport suspension?
I will need to think if changing the springs will help, or going for coilover...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I love the shape on the M3, but really too much fuel consumption for a daily car, not to mention that I don't have that money to spend on a decent M3.
But I reckon the new M3 is better looking than the M4. whereas the E90 M3 looks very ugly.

I found that the wheel to the guard are still uneven on this 335, so, same problem as to my previous 325. I have no idea why....
I thought it was the suspension issue in my 325 previously, but now, it happens again on the 335...so...maybe it's really the design of the M sport suspension?
I will need to think if changing the springs will help, or going for coilover...
I agree on your comments regarding the M3 looks better than the M4, plus its much cheaper! And also the E90 looks nowhere near as good as E92 M3!

Hmm OK weird, don't worry about it then, I'm sure if it drives fine it's OK!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #17
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalism View Post
FBO = Full bolt on ie front mount intercooler, dual cone intake (DCI), downpipes, charge pipe, tune.
Hi, thanks for the explanation.
I might just go for the K&N high flow filter. The DCI feels like getting hotter air into the engine (test on the DCI saying that the air temperature is actually lower than that of the air box though.)

I have read a lot of people's mod, but I don't know where should I start, particularly for some mods that need to be accompanied by another mods.
e.g. getting DP will need a JB4, and I think with the higher boost, I need to change the spark plug too.
So, I really want to learn the knowledge behind all these mods and to plan ahead of what to be upgraded. I really don't want to change one part but haven't changed the other relevant parts, and end up damaging any other components.
and I just want to make sure the car is all good before I spend money on any performance mod.

with that said, once the car is good, the first mod that I want to do will be exhaust for sure. for the meantime, I will probably do golf tee mod for a better sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #18
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I agree on your comments regarding the M3 looks better than the M4, plus its much cheaper! And also the E90 looks nowhere near as good as E92 M3!

Hmm OK weird, don't worry about it then, I'm sure if it drives fine it's OK!!!
The new M3 in white is very good looking, whereas the M4, I think it loses its unique M3 good looking shape as it is in the form of E92.

hmm....I am just wondering if other M sport 335 owners having the same uneven ride height as I do.
for the wheels, really want to close the gap between the wheels and the guards, particularly for the front, but yes, I will not do anything with the suspension yet as it drives ok at the moment, might put spacers on the wheels first.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #19
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

The rear usually looks pretty sacked in the stock m sports if thats what your talking about, the super low profile run flats help in making it look so low too.

I stayed with 19s but went to non rfts and my car got raised substantially and lost the back end droop. Its subtle but i like the back being slightly lower, if thats what your referring too.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #20
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
The rear usually looks pretty sacked in the stock m sports if thats what your talking about, the super low profile run flats help in making it look so low too.

I stayed with 19s but went to non rfts and my car got raised substantially and lost the back end droop. Its subtle but i like the back being slightly lower, if thats what your referring too.
I don't quite get it.
But I have non RFT too, on 19" M225 rims.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #21
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the explanation.
I might just go for the K&N high flow filter. The DCI feels like getting hotter air into the engine (test on the DCI saying that the air temperature is actually lower than that of the air box though.)

I have read a lot of people's mod, but I don't know where should I start, particularly for some mods that need to be accompanied by another mods.
e.g. getting DP will need a JB4, and I think with the higher boost, I need to change the spark plug too.
So, I really want to learn the knowledge behind all these mods and to plan ahead of what to be upgraded. I really don't want to change one part but haven't changed the other relevant parts, and end up damaging any other components.
and I just want to make sure the car is all good before I spend money on any performance mod.

with that said, once the car is good, the first mod that I want to do will be exhaust for sure. for the meantime, I will probably do golf tee mod for a better sound.
No real gains to be had with changing the exhaust. Best exhaust mod is the downpipes, only change the exhaust if you're really after change in the sound.
In saying that though, changing the downpipes will change the exhaust note as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #22
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalism View Post
No real gains to be had with changing the exhaust. Best exhaust mod is the downpipes, only change the exhaust if you're really after change in the sound.
In saying that though, changing the downpipes will change the exhaust note as well.
Yep, DCI and axle back exhaust don't really make a significant difference even to the butt dyno apart from sound.

If I were to do it again, I'd get CP+BOV for peace of mind and DPs
Appreciate 0