E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > EVOLUTION RACEWERKS | Introducing Our Competition Series Dual Oil Coolers

Closed Thread

09-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #67
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovaanything View Post
I skimmed through this thread and several others after reading the limp mode thread(s). Maybe it was mentioned but what effect does this upgrade have on oil capacity? I assume it goes up significantly and the car would then require 8+ quarts at each change instead of 7?
You may need to add a little more. I would add 1/4 of a quart at a time until your oil level indicates OK or Max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsflis View Post
does the 335is have a dual oil cooler set up stock? I think it does and my car sits at 240 all day just like a buddie's e92 with the single stock cooler. Wondering how much of a difference this set up would make over my car, it gets crazy hot down here
The Oil thermostat opens up around 238F so the 240 range is normal operating temperature. An aftermarket oil cooler will allow only go so far in terms of lowering that number, ideally you would want to change the oil cooler thermostat or bypass it entirely in combination with the ER Sport Oil Cooler for maximum effects.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #68
Laurus_CEO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
You may need to add a little more. I would add 1/4 of a quart at a time until your oil level indicates OK or Max.

The Oil thermostat opens up around 238F so the 240 range is normal operating temperature. An aftermarket oil cooler will allow only go so far in terms of lowering that number, ideally you would want to change the oil cooler thermostat or bypass it entirely in combination with the ER Sport Oil Cooler for maximum effects.
Thanks.

This is interesting because several other offerings include some sort of thermostat replacement or removal whereas from my understanding the ER (which seems to be the most track proven) uses the stock thermostat.

I am debating getting the BMS sport cooler valve in hopes that along with distilled water + mocool in the radiator and my novice driving level that would be sufficient to avoid limp mode for my first few track days. I'm really not sure what to do because I want to hit the track already but really don't want to waste the time & money to go and end up on the sidelines because of limp mode. Maybe I'm too focused on preemptive repairs and maintenance, doing all this stuff to get the car track ready when I need to just go and see what happens then address the issues afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #69
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

How does this install? Can you provide installation instructions? I am interested how 2 coolers use the location where 1 was..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #70
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
How does this install? Can you provide installation instructions? I am interested how 2 coolers use the location where 1 was..
I believe the dual coolers is different. One on each side of vehicle. One in passenger wheel well and one in driver side.
      09-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #71
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai View Post
I believe the dual coolers is different. One on each side of vehicle. One in passenger wheel well and one in driver side.
^This. +1!

Instructions on mfr website, I believe. This mod, plus brake lines and Cool a carbon pads is all I need to track my car.
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #72
Laurus_CEO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

After experiencing limp mode on my first track day I'm planning to get the competition setup soon. Does one of the versions of the carbon fiber shrouds fit well with m3 replica bumpers on the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #73
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Is this kit comes with retrofit, incase my car doesnt have oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #74
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
Highly unlikely. You'll need to source the retrofit. Not a bad idea to replace the gaskets anyway before doing a mod like this. So it will be a good opportunity for you to upgrade as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #75
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Yes it has a retrofit as an additional option. Uses all OEM parts. You can PM me for more info.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #76
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Mike, will this fit e89?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #77
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Will it fit N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Yes it has a retrofit as an additional option. Uses all OEM parts. You can PM me for more info.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #78
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Just got a response from ER Tech Support regarding these questions (Responses bolded):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsull View Post
The performance of this system looks fantastic for beating the 335i track limp mode problem! Kudos to ER for working so hard on this, sweating the details, and then offering it to the rest of us.

Some questions about the install for both Evolution Racewerks and forum members who have upgraded to the ER twin competition oil coolers:

1- In other forums about Track overheating and Limp Mode there has been a lot of advocacy for upgrading both the oil cooler and the radiator. Is it necessary to upgrade the H2O cooling system with this oil cooling mod, or does it make an upgrade to a high performance radiator unnecessary?

The main issue with tracking overheating limp mode is oil temperature. Since the oil is also cooled by engine coolant, heat is then bleed into the cooling system (engine oil is considerably hotter than coolant temps). If you resolve the oil temperature issue, it should resolve any coolant temperature issue you may have. We were the first ones to really figure out the cooling issues with the N54 back when we started racing our 135i in 2008. Through lots of testing, we concluded that oil was the big issue. Thus, we tackled that issue first with our oil cooler upgrades. Once the oil cooling issue was resolved, coolant temperatures stabled out and we never saw an issue with coolant temps again. Thus, we never really felt the need to upgrade the cooling system which is why we never released an upgraded radiator. If you were to do the cooling system first, it would be more a band aid issue than actually resolving the temperature issue.

2-Are instructions and/or a template included for the necessary cutting of the wheel well liner? I would like the mod to look as stealthy and stock as possible.

There are instructions on how to cut the fender liner with the kit. It is pretty self-explanatory once you are in the installation so it should not be an issue for you.

3- on the same theme, do you have to lose the fog lights on the stock factory bumper? I would like to keep them and have them remain functional. If you have to lose them how do you replace the grills the lights are part of?

The fog lights can be retained. We do however recommend you remove them for tracking. The fog light blocks a considerable amount of airflow to the oil coolers. By removing them, the oil coolers are more effective.

4- On the left the grill is half filled in with plastic because there is no call for airflow on that side other than the brake cooling duct (which I assume you lose for this mod). Do you have to modify the grill or is the air flow adequate through half of it for the new driver side oil cooler?

We recommend you modify the grill. Airflow plays a big impact on effectiveness of the oil coolers as airflow is what it transfers heat to. The more airflow you can get to the oil coolers the better.

Thanks!
I greatly appreciate the guidance before I take the $1500 leap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurus_CEO View Post
I skimmed through this thread and several others after reading the limp mode thread(s). Maybe it was mentioned but what effect does this upgrade have on oil capacity? I assume it goes up significantly and the car would then require 8+ quarts at each change instead of 7?

With the Sport Series Oil Cooler upgrade oil capacity is increased by 0.5 quart. The Competition Series Oil Cooler increases oil capacity by about 1 quart.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #79
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
As others mentioned there is one OC on each side. Think of the plumbing as one giant loop. One line goes from the oil filter housing to OC #1, one line from OC #1 to OC #2, and the last line plumbs OC #2 back into the return of the oil filter housing.

Quote:
If your car doesn't have any oil cooler, then no. You will need to source and install the revised oil cooler housing/gasket in addition to the oil cooler mounting bracket that supports the OEM oil cooler on the passenger side. Everything else needed is included in the kit.

I did this exact install on my early '07 non OC equipped 335.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread