E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Intentionally Gives Us Inaccurate Speedometers!

06-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #89
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds95991 View Post
Isn't Honda being sued for this for the claim that they are doing this to shorten the warranty?
Honda's odometers were off. BMW's odometers are accurate it's just the speedometer readout. The ECU knows exactly how fast the car is going.

I think the German speedometer error is a DIN thing, German manufacturers are required to certify that the car is at least as fast as the instrument indicates. If they publish a certain 0-60 number, the worst BMW built on the worst day of the week during Oktoberfest will be be at least that fast.

(I have been stuck behind new BMWs (temporary tags) twice in the last few weeks that were clogging up the left hand lane at about 5-7MPH less than the normal traffic speed in the area. ("The ultimate moving chicane"???) I happen to think left lane bandits should be shot and probably a lot of other drivers think the same thing. BMW dealers should at least clue buyers in about the speedometer error.)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #90
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Where's the safety issue at?
The safety issue is where the uninitiated think they're driving over the speed limit in the left lane but are actually traveling below the speed limit and the traffic that wants to pass needs to pass on the right.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #91
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn View Post
I know this is common knowledge for many BMW owners, but I just realized that it is true! I bought my first BMW two weeks ago, and I immediately noticed something was wrong with the speedometer. I had a friend pace me to confirm it, then I took my GPS to find out exactly how far off it was. I found that when the speedometer says 55mph, the GPS said 52mph. With the cruise on 80mph, the GPS read 75 or 76mph.

I took the car in to the dealer today to get satellite radio installed and get the Bluetooth software upgraded, I told them about the problem. They said it was normal and there was nothing wrong with it! He had like a 3 minute long speech about how it was safer and tire circumferences change and blah blah blah. I had read it all on the internet before. He even said that every BMW on the road has this error intentionally built in! I can't believe a $40k car that is supposed to be a precision driving machine has one of the most key instruments on the machine off by such a huge margin.

We need to start a campaign to get BMW to address this issue. If all the members of this board and any other boards we can get to participate suddenly started taking their cars into their dealers to complain about the speedometers, that would cause a huge backlash at BMW. It might be enough to get them to fix the problem. Sending letters to BMW would also be a great idea, like one every week.

This really irritates me. I am seriously thinking about buying an aftermarket navigation system just so I can have an accurate speedometer. I even looked into the lemon laws here in the state to see if it applies in this situation. I would have to argue that it is a serious safety hazard to have an inaccurate speedometer, which is a plausible argument. I did some legal research, but I couldn't find any lawsuits involving this type of situation.
My last Audi was off by about 3 mph...80 on the speedometer was really 77.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #92
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

damn this forum is going downhill fast... BMW needs an IQ test in addition to a credit application when purchasing or leasing a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #93
Loomp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

RichP - But how fast (actual speed) is forum going downhill? Really... all people want is for a car company (any company) to do the best that they can when providing a product. This means acurate guages too.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #94
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomp View Post
RichP - But how fast (actual speed) is forum going downhill? Really... all people want is for a car company (any company) to do the best that they can when providing a product. This means acurate guages too.
wtf? Dude how much pain have you gotten from not knowing your exact speed?
      06-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #95
Loomp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pain?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #96
Loomp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dude, just the best you can in life. It is not that much harder to do. And it's really not that 'painful'
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #97
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
You stated this. Basically saying BMW is suppose to have quality cars so why arent their gauges of high quality?

My response was....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
wtf? Dude how much pain have you gotten from not knowing your exact speed?
Implying have you had some sort of issue happen due to not having proper gauges?

Quote:
Pain?
Pain?

Quote:
Dude, just the best you can in life. It is not that much harder to do. And it's really not that 'painful'
This response makes no sense.
      06-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #98
Loomp
Enlisted Member
Rep

You asked "Dude how much PAIN have you gotten..." I didn't know what you meant. Thank you for clearing that up. I haven't 'gotten' any pain due to a guage that doesn't function as good as it COULD. My overall point is - if, in fact, BMW did do something, anything, to make the reading anything other than it truly is, then they spent as much just as much energy. I don't have proof either way that BMW did or didn't do anything of the like. I don't like to be deceived, nor do I like PAIN.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #99
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Something I found on while looking at the bulletins.....

get over it guys... its normal...

A certain amount of "speedometer advance" is necessary to compensate for negative tolerances in tire diameter, electronic controls, and other factors. This advance reduces the risk of the speedometer displaying a speed that is less than the vehicle's actual speed.

The amount of speedometer advance can be calculated by inputting a frequency (using the DIS Tester, "Kombi Test Schedule") that corresponds to a given speed and noting the speed that is indicated by the speedometer. The maximum permitted speedometer advance is 10% of the actual (input) speed plus 2.4 mph.

Example:

Actual Speed = 50 mph

50 mph x 10% = 5 mph; 5 mph + 2.4 mph = 7.4 mph

Therefore, the permissible displayed speed is 50 to 57.4 mph.

(Note: The displayed speed must never be less than the actual speed).

No repairs should be attempted if the speedometer advance is within 10% + 2.4 mph.

NOTE: The amount of speedometer advance has no effect on recording of accumulated mileage in the odometer display. The odometer records total mileage digitally and does not incorporate any "advance" tolerances.
      06-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #100
Loomp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great information. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #101
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I haven't 'gotten' any pain due to a guage that doesn't function as good as it COULD.
The guage is working perfectly! Its reading just as BMW engineers want it to read. I like how it works.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #102
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn View Post
Actually, just the fact that it is inaccurate could be grounds for a lawsuit under the right circumstances.

IMHO, this comment is exacly why speedo's read optimistically. The predisposition of we Amercians to sue over damn near anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #103
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Wow, you guys should let this go. This thread is more than a year old!
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #104
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkizerian View Post
nissan 240sx

Never had a problem with mine. Hit the speed governor at 115mph..and the navi said I was going 114. Close enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #105
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

speed governor at 115?? that low? i went 120 the other day and it was fine...
      06-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #106
myfirstbmw335i
myfirstbmw335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6-Speed, NAV, Sport

my speedo is within 1 mph of nav and cruise reading everytime....

335i coupe, 6-speed, sport, nav and most everything else...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #107
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
The safety issue is where the uninitiated think they're driving over the speed limit in the left lane but are actually traveling below the speed limit and the traffic that wants to pass needs to pass on the right.
Actual speed in the left lane is immaterial. First, a driver should only be there if they are passing. And if they are there, and faster traffic comes up behind them, they should move over. It does not matter if the driver is going 10 under or 30 over the speed limit.

Poor lane discipline is a killer, leading to multi vehicle accidents. The “Montana Anomaly”, where their highway fatal accident rate INCREASED 54% when they transitioned from no speed limits to a posted 75, is attributed by some engineers to a decrease in lane discipline. Basically the “I am going the speed limit so I can sit here in the left lane” mentality.

I agree with the suggestion that those sitting in the left lane blocking traffic should be shot. This would not only improve traffic flow, it would also improve the gene pool.

And as far as the speedometer reading precisely, even a perfect one is only one tire change away from being off a few MPH. I think BMW has handled this in a reasonable manner.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #108
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Actual speed in the left lane is immaterial. First, a driver should only be there if they are passing. And if they are there, and faster traffic comes up behind them, they should move over. It does not matter if the driver is going 10 under or 30 over the speed limit.

Poor lane discipline is a killer, leading to multi vehicle accidents. The “Montana Anomaly”, where their highway fatal accident rate INCREASED 54% when they transitioned from no speed limits to a posted 75, is attributed by some engineers to a decrease in lane discipline. Basically the “I am going the speed limit so I can sit here in the left lane” mentality.

I agree with the suggestion that those sitting in the left lane blocking traffic should be shot. This would not only improve traffic flow, it would also improve the gene pool.

And as far as the speedometer reading precisely, even a perfect one is only one tire change away from being off a few MPH. I think BMW has handled this in a reasonable manner.
I was in favor of the left-lane traffic proposal, but then you threw me a curve ball by your last paragraph. I can't say that my life has been too negatively impacted by having an inaccurate speedometer. On the hand, it is my only car to read significantly off, and as long as BMW computer knows the real speed, why not display it? My experience is that motorcycle speedometers read notoriously fast, which some may similarly argue is to prevent litiguous folks.

But I think 95% of the reason is the same as BMWs cars -- to give the psychological impression that you're zooming faster than you are. The discerning driver simply calculates the fudge factor of -5% in his/her head so this strategem only works on the unobservant.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #109
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:

Definitely.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #110
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

Quote:
They should. But they too often don't.

Both of the temorary-tag "Ultimate Moving Chicane" BMWs were passing the traffic in the right lane, albeit only creeping by 1-2MPH faster. There were large open spaces directly ahead which the next 20 vehicles in the left lane -- mostly vehicles with more-or-less accurate speedometers -- could also see.

This could be one of the many reasons why BMW drivers have a PR problem. There are others, but expensive fast cars dawdling in the left lane is probably even more irritating to the hoi polloi than decrepit slow cars dawdling in the left lane.
Appreciate 0