E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Arkym E92 Rear Diffuser For M-Tech Bumper **FULL REVIEW/MINI-DIY**

06-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Arkym E92 Rear Diffuser For M-Tech Bumper **FULL REVIEW/MINI-DIY**

The process of modding my car started with performance mods and has worked into many of the cosmetic mods lately. This is the latest of one of those cosmetic mods. I did not like the aggressiveness of the stock bumper at all, so I decided to move onto a M-TECH bumper from BMW. Since BMW allows you to order the bumper without the rear diffuser, I chose that option knowing I would go with a CF rear diffuser. The market is filled with a number of options, but many carry the mystique of fitment issues. I spent a lot of time researching the available options and spoke with owners of many of the rear diffuser choices. All the members were very informative and helpful. After thinking about it long I decided to go with the Arkym Rear Diffuser for the M-TECH bumper because everyone I spoke with that had this item raved about their quality and perfect fitment. The look of the Arkym diffuser was also the aggressive splitter style I loved. I felt this would be a great fit for my needs.

I then had to decide who to order the part from. I have ordered a number of items from **********s up to this point and they have impressed me with their commitment to customer satisfaction, so I decided this was going to be the place I ordered the Arkym rear diffuser from. I spoke with Alan from **********s and expressed interest in ordering the rear diffuser. Alan talked to Arkym and got the item out to me within a few days.

In this review, I will give a mini-DIY of this installation (very easy), shipping / packaging, fitment, and quality of the Arkym part.

Experience with **********s / Shipping

Alan from **********s has to be one of my favorite service reps from any of the larger vendors. Alan is always very friendly, immediate in his response, and proactive with his customer service. I sincerely think he wants happy customers and as an avid enthusiast, I believe he understands what it takes. Many of the products he has seen on cars first hand, so his advice has proven to be rock solid through my modding process. When the item was shipped, I had tracking and invoice info normally within 1 day.

The shipping process on this item had serious problems and I feel I must highlight these issues. Arkym sends the items from the factory simply wrapped in bubble wrap and film, then sticks the item into a throw together box. There are no peanuts or framing to protect the carbon fiber item during the shipping process. We know shipping companies throw these boxes around, so inevitably with this packaging the items will be damaged. Sadly for me, the first two items came to me with box damage and the diffusers were cracked. In Arkym's defense, I don't think they sent the items to me damaged, but their packaging must include some framing or tons of peanuts in that box to protect the item. If they plan to ship items, this is their only way to avoid these issues in the future.

The positive side to the shipping damage was the customer service I recieved. When the item arrived, I immediately emailed pictures of the damageg to Alan at **********s and he assured me it would be taken care of. With both damaged items, **********s had worked with the shipping company to pick up the item the very next day. Alan personally worked to make sure my new diffuser would be shipped as soon as possible and on the third try we had a winner. I should note all items did have tracking info, so I could prepare for the install.

The package arrived in a single walled box that was stapled together. I cannot say that this was the best way to ship the item, but it did get to me.

The Arkym rear diffuser was bubble wrapped then the item itself was protected well with a plastic.

Opening the packaging revealed a stellar looking piece. The carbon fiber weave is nothing less than stunning. The craftsmanship is second to none... it really ranks up there with the top quality carbon fiber products I have seen. The shaping is incredible along the entire item with no deformation or checks to the weave.

Notice the very clean craftsman ship in the exhaust openings and the smooth look to the carbon fiber weave.

The splitter sections are done absolutely perfectly.

The edging is stellar as well.

The shipping and packaging on this item was not good, in fact I would rate it as poor. Once the item got to me undamaged, the Arkym Rear Diffuser was nothing less than stellar. The quality of the item is absolutely off the chart and it was time to move onto the install.

Installation/Mini-DIY

Ok, there is really no installation DIY. This is a full PNP install. Line up the tabs, press them to lock in place and insert the screws on the under side of the car. I can tell you this is a true PNP installation that will take you no more than 15 minutes. It is a very easy installation.

Results

Once I got the Arkym Rear Diffuser for the M-TECH bumper on my car, I was simply blown away. The exhaust line up absolutely perfectly. The fitment along all seams was flawless. The transition from the fins on the bumper to the diffuser are absolutely flawless. This is really as close to OEM fitment as you could possibly get. Arkym nailed this item. Have a look at some of the beauty shots.

Conclusions

Alan at **********s came through again in a big way on this item. He assured me perfect fitment and he was correct. His service was prompt, friendly, and trustworthy. He helped through all the failed shipments and retrieved the damaged items very quickly. He always provided tracking info and has been incredibly helpful through the process. I will continue to keep him at the time of the chain for my choices when ordering.

Arkym in my opinion needs to improve their packaging process considerably. I personally would love to see some protective framing used or peanuts packing the box to protect their items. A fabbed double walled box may be a good idea as well. Either way this needs to be improved to insure that we will get the item safe the first time.

Outside of the shipping problems, Arkym clearly is the real deal on their carbon fiber items. The shaping and quality are absolutely off the chart nice. The clear coat is US, so yellowing is no concern at all. Their weave was not uneven or checked in any location on my part. The finish is absolutely perfect on the item. The seams are even and clean. The fins align perfectly with the bumper with no exception. The mounting tabs were well constructed and strong. This is a true PNP installation due to fantastic craftsmanship from Arkym.

The Arkym E92 Rear Diffuser is absolutely a 10 quality part. I cannot say my experience was perfect as the shipping could have been better, but that can be addressed. Other than the obvious shipping issues, I am tremendously happy with the look on my car with the Arkym part and Alan at **********s is a huge asset to our community.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

so sexy!
      06-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
Looks Great! I may have to pick this up!!
      06-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Nice write up - as always. There should really be a sticky for just your reviews!

About the only bad thing I can say about reading it and seeing the fitment is that now I really hate my JL Motoring diffuser!

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
You sir should receive 100% sponsorship for product reviews...claps
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The Arkym Aerosport E92/E93 MSport Dual Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser looks great on the car. I know there were some hiccups along the way, but everything worked out in the end. Thanks for posting up the review and sharing your experience with the community sir!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
katsbimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 328i Msport

Garage List
2010 328i LCI E90  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
The Arkym Aerosport E92/E93 MSport Dual Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser looks great on the car. I know there were some hiccups along the way, but everything worked out in the end. Thanks for posting up the review and sharing your experience with the community sir!!!
Do they make these for the 2010 E90 msport 328i...?
      06-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
so sexy!
Thanks michael1284!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ForAll View Post
Looks Great! I may have to pick this up!!
1ForALL, if you like CF then this is about the best I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Nice write up - as always. There should really be a sticky for just your reviews!

About the only bad thing I can say about reading it and seeing the fitment is that now I really hate my JL Motoring diffuser!

chumley, thanks for the compliments. Is the JL Motoring that bad?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
You sir should receive 100% sponsorship for product reviews...claps
Tee212, thanks for reading the review.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsbimmer View Post
Do they make these for the 2010 E90 msport 328i...?
I don't think they have an offering for any E90's yet. Maybe lack of demand?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
That's probably the best fitting aftermarket diffuser I've ever seen in my life. Too bad they don't make a version for the e90.
      06-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz View Post
That's probably the best fitting aftermarket diffuser I've ever seen in my life. Too bad they don't make a version for the e90.
Jz, thank you. I asked why they didn't make an E90 version and they said lack of demand. Maybe you guys can let them know the demand exists.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
e92LuNaTiC
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92

SOOOOO EFF'N SEXY!!!
      06-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92LuNaTiC View Post
SOOOOO EFF'N SEXY!!!
e92LuNaTic, thanks my friend!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
alpinee30
Banned
Rep
Drives: e30 & e90

ballin!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinee30 View Post
ballin!
alpinee30, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Love the look of that thing, just can't get over the 700 price tag on it or I would have one too!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Love the look of that thing, just can't get over the 700 price tag on it or I would have one too!
It is pricey, but honestly there are so many fitment problems with diffusers out there that I felt it was justified. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars on a cheaper diffuser, but this is spot on and the quality is absolutely perfect. My standards are high so I felt this was worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
It is pricey, but honestly there are so many fitment problems with diffusers out there that I felt it was justified. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars on a cheaper diffuser, but this is spot on and the quality is absolutely perfect. My standards are high so I felt this was worth the money.
I hear you - that is why I don't have a cheap ill fitting one either - I know I have to spend the money to get something of this quality, will just take me a while to get over the price and pull the trigger! Thanks for the great pics and write up though, that will help push me over the edge!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #20
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue

Wish I bought this instead of the Duke Dynamics one... Now it's just sitting in my basement.

Mind pming me how much you paid?

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Very nice. Is it full CF? or CF-wrapped plastic?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I hear you - that is why I don't have a cheap ill fitting one either - I know I have to spend the money to get something of this quality, will just take me a while to get over the price and pull the trigger! Thanks for the great pics and write up though, that will help push me over the edge!
roadkillrob, haha I understand. It took me a little while too. I love seeing the diffuser each day as the garage door opens each morning.
Appreciate 0