E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Life sucks...big time

Closed Thread

02-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #45
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Damn dude...plead it down, but the cops in VA on 95 are assholes I almost got arrested for walking up 95, when I told the trooper the reason I was walking because my car broke down he said shat my mouth or i'd be in jail...FUCK THE POLICE..get a lawyer..but dude slow down..ya could kill somebody.....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #46
Moderato
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335

35 years ago doing 100 mph on an interstate was truly dangerous, unless you had a very special car. Nowadays, even base BMW's can safely do 100mph on the highway and you don't even feel it. Modern sports cars can do 100mph and you feel like you're going 45mph. However we can't drive those speeds due to traffic laws and other very, very, very stupid drivers on the road. As long as we have people doing 45mph in the left lane on the highway, refusing to get over, acting indignant and as if they own the road, we will never have a European type highway system (which even go so far as to have banked curves on some sections). A track is really the only place to explore a sports car in America, at least in the more poplulated areas. I suppose if you live in the middle of nowhere and your brother is the sheriff then you don't have that problem. With ULSD becoming standard now and all of the great TDI's coming over from Europe in the next few years, I might just pick up one of those and get my rocks off by seeing how many mpg I can get, rather then how many mph I can go.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
I heard a poll result that said 78% of drivers surveyed considered themselves above average drivers. By definition, of course, 50% of drivers are above average.
Depends on what is meant by "average driver". If you gave 100 people a driving test it is certainly possilbe that 78% of people woud score at or above average while the other 22% scored below.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #48
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F1 Fan View Post
We can rename the post, "A Gentleman's Guide to Speeding".
Nice post DHMILOSR ! It's not easy avoiding tickets, but the above philosophy has kept me clean for quite some time. Truth is, anyone who goes more than 10 over is just rolling the dice, but the above guidelines put the odds in your favor. Good recommendations!
C/D did a guide for speeding some year ago, maybe as a sidebar to a radar detector test (I think in the Dark Ages when Mike Valentine still worked for Cincinnati Microwave), and one thing I remember besides the "buy a radar detector" advice was "drive an inncuous car in an innocuous color".

Which doesn't help much here, but obviously a dirty gray Camry is going to attract a lot less attention than a shiny new speed-yellow Porsche GT3.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #49
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Depends on what is meant by "average driver". If you gave 100 people a driving test it is certainly possilbe that 78% of people woud score at or above average while the other 22% scored below.
I think if you gave 100 US drivers a driving test on a car with a 6-speed manual transmission, 78 probably wouldn't be able to move it out of the parking space. Seriously.

I thought that some countries required manual transmission cars for driver's license tests.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #50
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I really can't afford a moving violation as I am insuring 5 cars in our 4 person household with 2 drivers under 25. Here in Seattle there is simply no future in speeding on I5. It is heavily patrolled and you are just not going to get away with it for any length of time. Does that mean I never exercise my car? No way. I may drive like a grandpa 98% of the time, but I find my opportunities. But when I do go to triple digits I make sure I am not endangering anyone else and I don't stay there long. My last speeding ticket was in 1975 while attending veterinary school.
      02-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #51
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
...snip...
-Use your handbrake. If you're in the middle of traffic and notice a cop behind you coming up fast, give it a hard yank, but keep the button depressed. This will cause you to slow down without brake lights. I've had the cop pull over the guy I was dueling with because he braked and showed brake lights, and I didn't.
...snip...
Great post, just one thing . . . easy on the "hard yank" -- accidentally locking the rear tires at 100mph, even for a split second, can make life very interesting in a hurry.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #52
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
C/D did a guide for speeding some year ago, maybe as a sidebar to a radar detector test (I think in the Dark Ages when Mike Valentine still worked for Cincinnati Microwave), and one thing I remember besides the "buy a radar detector" advice was "drive an inncuous car in an innocuous color".

Which doesn't help much here, but obviously a dirty gray Camry is going to attract a lot less attention than a shiny new speed-yellow Porsche GT3.
Color makes a huge difference. While riding with a friend in his 360 Challenge Stradale, he downshifted and punched it just as we both saw a cop sitting across the street. Hearing the rushed and raspy gurgle the officer raised his eyes quickly, but failed to focus on us because the black just didn't grab his attention like the red or yellow would have. My friend admitted that after a number of "bright" colored exotics, it was a welcome change to have the less conspicuous black.
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07

Last edited by Mr.F1 Fan; 02-24-2007 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #53
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
This is why I love it here in Germany. Most drivers obey the rules, courteous, and stay in the right lane unless passing. Love it when I can set the cruise to 120mph and cars still pass me. It'll be hard to get used to when I get back to the states.
      02-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #54
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
This is why I love it here in Germany. Most drivers obey the rules, courteous, and stay in the right lane unless passing. Love it when I can set the cruise to 120mph and cars still pass me. It'll be hard to get used to when I get back to the states.
Very, very hard to get used to. Good luck with it, and hope you don't get stationed in the DC area.

FWIW, I agree my car now is a little more conspicuous and more likely to get tickets than my previous cars. It's not red or anything, but it's shiny and new with tinted windows. I had no speeding tickets with various nondescript cars for about 15 years. Then, not driving all that differently, I got one within 3 months after getting my E90. It could be bad luck or coincidence, but it sure put a damper on things.
      02-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #55
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool View Post
BK is right - it is a police state here. I was going 82mph on I66 which has a speed limit of 55mph. There was hardly anyone on the road so I thought I'd hit it a bit.
How old are you?

I was doing 96 in 55mph when I was 19. Ended up with a $50/fine and taking a single day class (also $50). I got lucky, but either way you still do not need a lawyer for 82 in 55mph. All you need to do is plead down to the next level. In GA I believe that level is 21 mph.

Figure out the level and do the following (assuming it is 21mph):
Ask the court before hand if you can make a plead bargin, offer to take a class (its one Saturday) in exchange for them lowering the ticket to 75mph. You may want to mention it was a new car, and you did not realize its power at the time. And that you were certainly more aware of your speed these days. I would be shocked if this didn't work. Ofcourse, you would still get a few points on your license, so you may want to actually try to plead down two levels. Its definitely not impossible, and is certainly cheaper than a lawyer.

-Brett
      02-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #56
liverpool
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC w/MPPK+MPE

Despite my reservations, I am glad I posted because I am learning a lot from you all. Great advice here.

To all those who don't live in Northern Virginia and feel there's more to this story, all I can say is, you don't know what it's like here. The cop who pulls you over can do whatever he wants. My wife was driving to the airport to pick me up 3-4 years ago and was pulled over for driving "fast" - I believe she was driving in excess of 20mph over the limit. She was with a lady friend of hers and she was let off with a warning.

I am definitely going to try to plead this down and hope the RD doesn't stick. The problem is, my organization has three sites in DC metro area that I have to travel frequently and it really would be difficult without the car, as two sites aren't metro accessible.

Believe me, I've slowed down considerably. But, it ain't any fun if you know this car. I should consider a radar detector even though it is illegal here. Someone mentioned under the dash. I should check that out.

Cheers everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #57
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
While the speed is one issue, the trucks are another. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most trucks limited to a nominal speed and a passing speed, both of which are posted on the back of the truck? I have never seen a truck on the highway in Europe going faster than 90kmph.
For certain you will miss the speed, but you will miss the civility even more. Every time I return home to the DC area, in some vein attempt to convert the entire area, I flash my lights as I approach in the left lane. 1 out of 10 drivers will move over. I keep thinking that it would be great if some sort of grass roots driving etiquette started to take hold. Then after a month of re-assimilating, I revert to the old pass the ass on the right if he refuses to go more that 55-60.
Good luck getting into a groove when you get back here.
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #58
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
I used to use a radar detector, but found that all the false alarms caused constant interruptions.

My philosophy concerning speeding:
-I never go more than 10 over when I'm driving somewhere I haven't been before. Cops hide in the almost the same places all the time and the locals know where they are.
-I try to take queues from the people ahead of me. Even a tap of brake lights ahead of me will cause me to slow down. People 1/2 mile ahead of me are the best cop detectors there are. As a courtesy to others, while passing the speed trap, I'll brake slightly to notify others behind me.
-I never speed past known speed trap areas. No matter if I'm in the middle of something with another driver, I'll let him go ahead. This saved me yesterday and the other guy got the ticket.
-Let someone else run blocker for you. A similiar idea to the Smokey and the Bandit movie, if you can find someone willing to go faster than you, let them. If there's a cop up ahead, he'll catch them first. The corollary to that is if your the first guy in the pack, or the fastest on the road, be extra careful.
-Use your handbrake. If you're in the middle of traffic and notice a cop behind you coming up fast, give it a hard yank, but keep the button depressed. This will cause you to slow down without brake lights. I've had the cop pull over the guy I was dueling with because he braked and showed brake lights, and I didn't.
-If I'm not feeling sharp enough to look out for cops, ahead and behind, stupid distracted drivers, etc. then I'm not sharp enough to speed. During these times I just lay low, find a fast cloud of traffic, and go with the flow.
-There are only a few places where one can do triple digits without worry of cops hiding in a speed trap. I use these places to get it out of my system, regularly.
-I never do the bob and weave thing. I see a$$holes driving on others rear ends, cutting people off, risking their and other's life and limb. That's just plan stupid and I leave it up to the ricers.
-Keep in mind most people only look in their rear view mirror once before they change lanes, and in that time they're looking for people doing normal highway speeds. If you're setting a land speed record, chances are good they might just change lanes right into you without ever seeing you. Don't take it personally, if it happens. Be extra careful coming up behind slower drivers. Putting on your highbeams for extra visibility at triple digits is a good idea.

The above are based on 24,000 miles on a sport bike with no tickets and a bunch of miles on a Mustang GT with no tickets. I know this is off topic, but the thread seemed to be heading this way anyway...
+1 This strategy has kept my driving record clean for the past 30 years. No accidents either. IMO driving fast can be safer than driving slow and not paying attention.

Reckless driving for 80+ mph is absurd. I assume that this law is not enforced without additional infractions or complications.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #59
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
I am definitely going to try to plead this down and hope the RD doesn't stick. The problem is, my organization has three sites in DC metro area that I have to travel frequently and it really would be difficult without the car, as two sites aren't metro accessible.
I don't know what it's like in VA, but I know in PA that if you lose your license that you can get an exemption for driving to/from work, home and school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #60
Duquesne
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i Performance Package

Quote:
I used to use a radar detector, but found that all the false alarms caused constant interruptions.

My philosophy concerning speeding:
-I never go more than 10 over when I'm driving somewhere I haven't been before. Cops hide in the almost the same places all the time and the locals know where they are.
-I try to take queues from the people ahead of me. Even a tap of brake lights ahead of me will cause me to slow down. People 1/2 mile ahead of me are the best cop detectors there are. As a courtesy to others, while passing the speed trap, I'll brake slightly to notify others behind me.
-I never speed past known speed trap areas. No matter if I'm in the middle of something with another driver, I'll let him go ahead. This saved me yesterday and the other guy got the ticket.
-Let someone else run blocker for you. A similiar idea to the Smokey and the Bandit movie, if you can find someone willing to go faster than you, let them. If there's a cop up ahead, he'll catch them first. The corollary to that is if your the first guy in the pack, or the fastest on the road, be extra careful.
-If I'm not feeling sharp enough to look out for cops, ahead and behind, stupid distracted drivers, etc. then I'm not sharp enough to speed. During these times I just lay low, find a fast cloud of traffic, and go with the flow.
-There are only a few places where one can do triple digits without worry of cops hiding in a speed trap. I use these places to get it out of my system, regularly.
-I never do the bob and weave thing. I see a$$holes driving on others rear ends, cutting people off, risking their and other's life and limb. That's just plan stupid and I leave it up to the ricers.
-Keep in mind most people only look in their rear view mirror once before they change lanes, and in that time they're looking for people doing normal highway speeds. If you're setting a land speed record, chances are good they might just change lanes right into you without ever seeing you. Don't take it personally, if it happens. Be extra careful coming up behind slower drivers. Putting on your highbeams for extra visibility at triple digits is a good idea.

The above are based on 24,000 miles on a sport bike with no tickets and a bunch of miles on a Mustang GT with no tickets. I know this is off topic, but the thread seemed to be heading this way anyway...
that's all great advice and closely parallels how i've been driving for a while.

i'll add that, for me, the thrill is more in the "0-60". i tend to get my rush from fast takeoffs which i can do at anytime there's room in front of me and, frankly, i find going over 100 a tad scary on the interstate. too many nubs and too little time to correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #61
liverpoolfc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Liverpool! I am sorry to hear about your 6 month suspension. :mad: Damn cops . At least we beat Barcelona! YNWA!
      02-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #62
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
well ou kinda did have it coming, you know the rules but none the less, congrats on an awesome car man, when you get the license back you will have a great time
      02-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #63
335driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 sedan

Garage List
2007 335  [0.00]
Breakin the law this afternoon on the FL turnpike.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #64
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I hate to say it, but you probably deserved it. Im not saying that I drive the speed limit all the time, but if you speed and get caught, you really cant complain.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #65
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

Quote:
I should consider a radar detector even though it is illegal here. Someone mentioned under the dash. I should check that out.
In Virginia, you need to do serious stealth. (Like the V-1-inside-the-center-rear-headrest mod.)

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #66
sobriquet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon: E92 335i

1. Cops suck. Period.

2. Lawyer up. A reckless driving charge for going 80 on an interstate is offensive.

3. That mod rocks. lol

I'll never understand why the US has been incapable of developing the safe high speed driving habits of Germany. You'd think with our longer distance drives, we'd be the one with the Autobahn.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread