E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Ghetto Fuel Door

06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMS E90 335i AT

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Ghetto Fuel Door

So I have a 2007 e90 335.. I got the car used a few months back and the fuel door worked like a champ. I added some subs in the trunk and the fuel door latch no longer worked after a week or two with the subs installed. I got the Dealership to replace the latch mechanism under the maintenance agreement and all was well. Well, it's been 3-4 weeks since that was done and now the latch has broken again...

Every post I find seems to think the subs in the trunk is what is causing the latch to break (its the plunger looking device that depresses when you close your door after fueling up.) I tend to agree, but I wanted some input from others.

If you have subs in your trunk, have you had this issue? If not, what model/year do you own?

If you have had this problem before, do you have subs in your trunk or no? Either way, if how did you fix it and did the problem return?

My car was made late `06 and I would think that a BMW should be able to withstand a little bass (I'm not pushing much to begin with, just a little thump to fill that void that the L7 comes with...) and shouldn't have little pieces breaking because of it. I hope that BMW would have recognized this issue and possibly redesign the latching mechanism with something a little more sturdy than what I have. From what I understand, the spring on the inside is very weak and is the root of the cause. However, my spring (both times) still works fine, but it just doesn't latch in place when it is pressed in.

If I hold the door closed and use the FOB to lock the doors, it stays latched, so my last question is this: If there is no other fix available, is there any way to force the anti-theft lock (as best as I can describe it) to stay locked even when the doors are unlocked? Maybe have it unlock with two presses of the FOB unlock button or something? Of course, this could involve coding if at all possible.

So anyway, if anyone has ANYTHING to offer, please do so as I am at a loss and really don't want to replace this thing just to have it break within a month again. Also, I really don't want to lose my subs...

Thanks for reading!

TLDR - fuel door latching mechanism is broken, subs in trunk, any permanent fix??

2007 JB e90 retired!
2008 BMS e90 stock for now
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I have read about this issue as well and it seems like it happens often. But I have a 15 inch fi btl with a ittle more than 1200 watts in the trunk and no problems with the fuel door except alot of rattling.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe View Post
So I have a 2007 e90 335.. I got the car used a few months back and the fuel door worked like a champ. I added some subs in the trunk and the fuel door latch no longer worked after a week or two with the subs installed. I got the Dealership to replace the latch mechanism under the maintenance agreement and all was well. Well, it's been 3-4 weeks since that was done and now the latch has broken again...

Every post I find seems to think the subs in the trunk is what is causing the latch to break (its the plunger looking device that depresses when you close your door after fueling up.) I tend to agree, but I wanted some input from others.

If you have subs in your trunk, have you had this issue? If not, what model/year do you own?

If you have had this problem before, do you have subs in your trunk or no? Either way, if how did you fix it and did the problem return?

My car was made late `06 and I would think that a BMW should be able to withstand a little bass (I'm not pushing much to begin with, just a little thump to fill that void that the L7 comes with...) and shouldn't have little pieces breaking because of it. I hope that BMW would have recognized this issue and possibly redesign the latching mechanism with something a little more sturdy than what I have. From what I understand, the spring on the inside is very weak and is the root of the cause. However, my spring (both times) still works fine, but it just doesn't latch in place when it is pressed in.

If I hold the door closed and use the FOB to lock the doors, it stays latched, so my last question is this: If there is no other fix available, is there any way to force the anti-theft lock (as best as I can describe it) to stay locked even when the doors are unlocked? Maybe have it unlock with two presses of the FOB unlock button or something? Of course, this could involve coding if at all possible.

So anyway, if anyone has ANYTHING to offer, please do so as I am at a loss and really don't want to replace this thing just to have it break within a month again. Also, I really don't want to lose my subs...

Thanks for reading!

TLDR - fuel door latching mechanism is broken, subs in trunk, any permanent fix??
The only permanent fix is to remove the ghetto subs or use duct tape.

If your subs are causing the problem (as I'm sure they are) then the whole system must vibrate badly and sound very bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
The only permanent fix is to remove the ghetto subs or use duct tape.

If your subs are causing the problem (as I'm sure they are) then the whole system must vibrate badly and sound very bad.
Attacking me by calling my equipment ghetto is very immature. The system sounds fine and in complete honesty, it's not very loud at all. I don't listen to rap or very high bass music most of the time. It's usually metal. The only vibration you hear is from the door after the mechanism starts to wear. When the dealer initially replaced it, it didn't rattle at all. Even the license plate doesn't rattle. lol, duct tape? talk about ghetto...

---

As to the previous poster with the 325 - man I don't get it, maybe the design with the 325 and 335 are diff, but I wouldn't think so? Where do you have your box placed and which way is it facing? Since I have two subs (just 10's) they can only really face backward or forward due to the size of the box. I have them facing the rear and placed in the center of the trunk, pushed up to the back of the seat. I was thinking about facing them forward, but the sound quality would suffer and I'm not really sure it would help consider how bass is omi-directional...

Thanks for your input though, bmw325i!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I have them facing the rear. I had it facing the front for a while I noticed less rattling. Not sure why mine hasn't broke I've had this sub in since February.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I have them facing the rear. I had it facing the front for a while I noticed less rattling. Not sure why mine hasn't broke I've had this sub in since February.
Well damn, hope it keeps going strong for ya

2007 JB e90 retired!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Attacking me by calling my equipment ghetto is very immature...
Uhh, you're the one who called the fuel door design ghetto.

The most common reason for fuel door failure is an aftermarket sub, so the fuel door design is fine.

Your subsequent mod broke it and the only solution is to remove your sub or tape the door shut.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Uhh, you're the one who called the fuel door design ghetto.

The most common reason for fuel door failure is an aftermarket sub, so the fuel door design is fine.

Your subsequent mod broke it and the only solution is to remove your sub or tape the door shut.
..or use double sided adhesive velcro inside the fuel door. I did that on my previous e36.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
..or use double sided adhesive velcro inside the fuel door. I did that on my previous e36.
Yep. The only non-ghetto way of fixing it is to remove the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i listen to rap does that mean i am ghetto??
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I've never had a broken fuel door. I have a 12" type-r powered by a JL 500/1. 05/06 build 330xi.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
AWLE902008
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 TiAg E90

Quote:
Attacking me by calling my equipment ghetto is very immature. The system sounds fine and in complete honesty, it's not very loud at all. I don't listen to rap or very high bass music most of the time. It's usually metal. The only vibration you hear is from the door after the mechanism starts to wear. When the dealer initially replaced it, it didn't rattle at all. Even the license plate doesn't rattle. lol, duct tape? talk about ghetto...

---

As to the previous poster with the 325 - man I don't get it, maybe the design with the 325 and 335 are diff, but I wouldn't think so? Where do you have your box placed and which way is it facing? Since I have two subs (just 10's) they can only really face backward or forward due to the size of the box. I have them facing the rear and placed in the center of the trunk, pushed up to the back of the seat. I was thinking about facing them forward, but the sound quality would suffer and I'm not really sure it would help consider how bass is omi-directional...

Thanks for your input though, bmw325i!
you are the one that said ghetto.....it's in your title
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i listen to rap does that mean i am ghetto??
Only if your gas door is flappin'
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I've never had a broken fuel door. I have a 12" type-r powered by a JL 500/1. 05/06 build 330xi.
Probably because you gave some thought to what you were installing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Yeah after removing the mechanism myself, it seems that you can just leave it off as the door hinge is spring loaded. It leaves a little gap that I'm sure some velcro would be able to fix. Since I already had a replacement mechanism, I went ahead and replaced it and will do the velcro thing once this one breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWLE902008 View Post
you are the one that said ghetto.....it's in your title
The door is ghetto, not my subs...

Quote:
Probably because you gave some thought to what you were installing.
I guess you have nothing better to do than troll these forums to make douchebag comments?

2007 JB e90 retired!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Can't you dynamat the trunk, especially around the filler neck area? That ought to minimize some of the vibrations...
      01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
drsilvershot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi jet black

Maybe you should consider "cornering" a new sub setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

The title of this thread I was expecting to see a picture of a car with a ripped off gas filler nozzle sticking out of it. Or a gas cap made out of wine corks.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsilvershot View Post
Maybe you should consider "cornering" a new sub setup.
I've definitely thought about that.. any clue on which corner would be best? Does no one else out there have this problem? Even when I have my music low, it still rattles. Nothing else on the car rattles either.

2007 JB e90 retired!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

i have subs in my trunk and the lock on the gas door never seems to be a hassle for me? what you might want to do though is try dynamatting around there a bit to control the vibration so it doesn't mess with the lock mechanism
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

dude i have a 2008 335 sedan and 1000 wats is pushing my L7. when mine broke i turned it so it was blowing through ski hole, then with my new latch i took the rubber piece off the little mechanism, and now i have less raddle and it doesnt break, its a little hard to open without the rubber piece. u just have to push really hard on the cap!. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the input gentlemen I've threatened to dynamat it to see if that will help, just haven't had time. Also, I noticed a few weeks ago that my box is actually touching the bottom portion of my rear decklid, so it's possible that it is transferring more vibration...maybe? Either way, I've got a smaller band-pass box sitting around that I think I'll throw these into and see if they alleviate some of the rattling. I'll probably try turning the portholes towards the skihole as well. At this point, even if the bass doesn't sound as good (to an extent mind you) I'm willing to face them ANY direction to get rid of that rattle!

Regarding removing the rubber bumper, I would think that the rattle would get worse since the door would be resting on the plastic piece behind the rubber? I suppose that is not the case - does it just float there instead?

Thanks again!

2007 JB e90 retired!
Appreciate 0