E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Race Exhuast

01-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
SR2007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328i

N52 Race Exhuast

After trial and error several time with my exhaust shop I ended up hacking away the mufflers, res, and 2ndary cats. I've been pretty pleased with the sound at the current moment. After several deployments Im officially 40% deaf so I can barely hear the droning if any, and nobody has really complained about either. Im getting ready to purchase the a set of Headers from MMW and curious if anyone has a sound clip of there n52 on straight pipes. I'm swapping to a x-pipe set-up and wondering what its gonna sound like before we start hacking away again! Any help would be awesome guys!
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

not sure what the laws are in Maryland, but here in WA i've been pulled over twice cuz my exhaust is loud... apparently you can't do ANYTHING to your exhaust to make it louder in this state... but i don't care. i like the sound.

I have the same setup: muffler delete, resonator delete, and secondary cat delete.... just straight pipe from the header back. I'll soon have catless headers as well; soon after an off-road ECU tune and then i'll have my track car started officially.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

What's the advantage of putting an x-pipe on a 328's exhaust pipes when it's pretty much a long y-pipe. In my mind I'm thinking it'll be an x-y pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Any back pressure issues?
      01-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
What's the advantage of putting an x-pipe on a 328's exhaust pipes when it's pretty much a long y-pipe. In my mind I'm thinking it'll be an x-y pipe.
the only benefit i see of running an x-pipe is if you run a custom true dual exhaust setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

dual tip or quad tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
the only benefit i see of running an x-pipe is if you run a custom true dual exhaust setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Well thus far I haven't had any back pressure issues, and it really isn't that loud. I'm sure that will change once that last cat comes off with the new headers. The intent of the X pipe is to go with a true dual set-up. I plan on running a quad set-up with the RD Kevlar rear bumper.
MD needs emissions inspection every two years, I plan on keeping the current set-up and swapping the set-up for inspection time. I've heard some pretty loud V8's running around and as far as I've heard its not on the police's top list to mess with people. What I need to know is how it sounds, and roughly how loud it will be. Worst case, I'll go with a set of magnoflow mufflers, or maybe just run the res.
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
not sure what the laws are in Maryland, but here in WA i've been pulled over twice cuz my exhaust is loud... apparently you can't do ANYTHING to your exhaust to make it louder in this state... but i don't care. i like the sound.

I have the same setup: muffler delete, resonator delete, and secondary cat delete.... just straight pipe from the header back. I'll soon have catless headers as well; soon after an off-road ECU tune and then i'll have my track car started officially.
Where are you getting your tune from?
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

So on the pipe below, where would you recommend making an x connection?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2007 View Post
Where are you getting your tune from?
i was pretty fond of the AA (Active Autowerke) tune for a while, but because of the setup and the possibility of me getting stationed somewhere else where there might be inspections, i'm shopping around for a chip i can get multiple tunes in on or at least switch back from OEM to Off-Road by having the cats on flanges [that i can just bolt and unbolt from the pipes].

Only downside i see with this is that the primary cats (which are in the headers) will have to be put behind the headers and the secondaries close after... i haven't put it into works yet but that's the plan...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Prepare to be pulled over constantly with little to no gains and possible losses.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Straight pipes, no cat, no resonator, no muffler, AND headers?
You're missing 1 more important mod:
Earplugs!

What are you trying to accomplish may I ask?

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So on the pipe below, where would you recommend making an x connection?

I would get rid of the Y section in the middle and run it straight from the headers onto the muffler.
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i was pretty fond of the AA (Active Autowerke) tune for a while, but because of the setup and the possibility of me getting stationed somewhere else where there might be inspections, i'm shopping around for a chip i can get multiple tunes in on or at least switch back from OEM to Off-Road by having the cats on flanges [that i can just bolt and unbolt from the pipes].

Only downside i see with this is that the primary cats (which are in the headers) will have to be put behind the headers and the secondaries close after... i haven't put it into works yet but that's the plan...
Im still searching around myself. Hard to get answers to a question that has hardly been answered. Im not too far from VAC motorsports, I plan on giving them a call when I get home from deployment. The only emmisions Ive done is sensor testing. Hell my car is too low for a visual even with mirrors lmao!! Just to be safe, Im gonna have my exhaust guy probably weld a bolt on application after headers. That way I can just unbolt a little after the header on back to put the cats back in. From my understanding the secondary aren't needed. Still trying to work out the final details on the set-up. Got two months left here to decide.
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
Straight pipes, no cat, no resonator, no muffler, AND headers?
You're missing 1 more important mod:
Earplugs!

What are you trying to accomplish may I ask?

1) I dont find it cost efficient to drop a G+ on an exhaust that give little to no gains. Much rather put that money into another mod.

2) From my experience with the Camaro, less resistriction, more air flow = better gains! Im running a set of LT's with no exhaust on mine Z28 in addition to other mods, and experience on the dyno better results without the rest of the crap there.

3) I def want an aggressive sound in addition to a little more power. Hence the new tune, headers, and other misc goodies till MMW drop the supercharger kit.

4) I know how loud the Camaro is but then again its a 5.7L LT1 with a 383 stroker kit. I expect that MF to growl, not just how Loud the N52 would be, hence the reason for the thread to do a little HW.

5) Due to the recent comments posted here, debating on just running down pipes into a Muffler or just two Res to put some pressure back in the pipes and gently muffle the sound. Any Suggestions?
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

Question...

If you bought a performance exhaust kit from bmw, and did the exact hack job to it, would it sound exactly like your stock one?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The only thing uncertain of is once you put headers in.

There was a thread here before with a member who installed SuperSprint headers after his BMW performance exhaust and it sounded REALLY ricey. The primary cats can change the entire sound so it's very dicey.
I say run full straight pipe first and adjust your sound from there because spending major $$$ on exhaust pieces may not be what you want in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
SR2007
Captain
Rep

Quote:

There was a thread here before with a member who installed SuperSprint headers after his BMW performance exhaust and it sounded REALLY ricey. The primary cats can change the entire sound so it's very dicey.
I say run full straight pipe first and adjust your sound from there because spending major $$$ on exhaust pieces may not be what you want in the end.
huh........ Got any ideas on what to incorporate with the headers to tone the sound down a little?
Team Elite / WFC#342
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

hahaha lync9763, that was me!
It's Eisenmann Race btw.
Quote:

SR2001,
I dont think running straight pipe + headers will give you any gain.
I even think that you'll lose some low end torque.
I doubt that you'd get any gain on the top-end. Even if you did, I don't think you'd dare to get up there in the high rpm range without attracting unwanted attention.

My car's a 325i 2.5L engine (euro model), I've tried pretty much everything with the exhaust setup.
at 1 point, I've had Supersprint headers, straight pipes with no cats, no resonator, & Eisenmann Race rear muffler.
& the car got very raspy & unbearable loud. It was too loud that I wouldn't dare to get up to 4k rpm without scaring dogs & cats.

Check out my review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593522

if you insist of getting the headers, my suggestion is:
- headers + straight pipes (no cats, no resonator) + CUSTOM muffler to reduce the loudness & to play around with backpressure. You need backpressure.

Too much free flow isn't good at all. You think you'd get some gain, that's probably a placebo effect.
If deleting everything giving some hp gain, thousands of people would've probably opened up shops & started competing with Eisenmann & Arkrapovic already.

Having said that, do post your dyno result before & after for the rest of us if you go down this path though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2007 View Post
1) I dont find it cost efficient to drop a G+ on an exhaust that give little to no gains. Much rather put that money into another mod.

2) From my experience with the Camaro, less resistriction, more air flow = better gains! Im running a set of LT's with no exhaust on mine Z28 in addition to other mods, and experience on the dyno better results without the rest of the crap there.

3) I def want an aggressive sound in addition to a little more power. Hence the new tune, headers, and other misc goodies till MMW drop the supercharger kit.

4) I know how loud the Camaro is but then again its a 5.7L LT1 with a 383 stroker kit. I expect that MF to growl, not just how Loud the N52 would be, hence the reason for the thread to do a little HW.

5) Due to the recent comments posted here, debating on just running down pipes into a Muffler or just two Res to put some pressure back in the pipes and gently muffle the sound. Any Suggestions?

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Dung, remember I said I was going to change the exhaust pipes? It might happen next month.

So here's the test for gains, hopefully there's a dyno local.

no tune
Gruppe-M replica intake + stock primary cats + Eisenmann SR pipes + Eisenmann race muffler

VS

no tune
Gruppe-M replica intake + stock primary cats + Detail Addict Exhaust pipes + Eisenmann race muffler

Hopefully this comparison puts people at ease with these two. Remember people both of these are pretty decent loud.

Quote:
hahaha lync9763, that was me!
It's Eisenmann Race btw.

SR2001,
I dont think running straight pipe + headers will give you any gain.
I even think that you'll lose some low end torque.
I doubt that you'd get any gain on the top-end. Even if you did, I don't think you'd dare to get up there in the high rpm range without attracting unwanted attention.

My car's a 325i 2.5L engine (euro model), I've tried pretty much everything with the exhaust setup.
at 1 point, I've had Supersprint headers, straight pipes with no cats, no resonator, & Eisenmann Race rear muffler.
& the car got very raspy & unbearable loud. It was too loud that I wouldn't dare to get up to 4k rpm without scaring dogs & cats.

Check out my review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593522

if you insist of getting the headers, my suggestion is:
- headers + straight pipes (no cats, no resonator) + CUSTOM muffler to reduce the loudness & to play around with backpressure. You need backpressure.

Too much free flow isn't good at all. You think you'd get some gain, that's probably a placebo effect.
If deleting everything giving some hp gain, thousands of people would've probably opened up shops & started competing with Eisenmann & Arkrapovic already.

Having said that, do post your dyno result before & after for the rest of us if you go down this path though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Sweet Jason!!!
I'm sure it'll get a bit louder.

FYI, with the tune kit from ESS, you can reverse back to factory in case you're worried about bringing the car to the Stealer for warranty purpose.

It's worth to check with Eurocharged & AA too since they're now offering kit like ESS.

Eurocharged mentioned that they can upgrade the tune for FREE if you upgrade your mods. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quote:
Dung, remember I said I was going to change the exhaust pipes? It might happen next month.

So here's the test for gains, hopefully there's a dyno local.

no tune
Gruppe-M replica intake + stock primary cats + Eisenmann SR pipes + Eisenmann race muffler

VS

no tune
Gruppe-M replica intake + stock primary cats + Detail Addict Exhaust pipes + Eisenmann race muffler

Hopefully this comparison puts people at ease with these two. Remember people both of these are pretty decent loud.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Yeah AA has the Simon tool but I'm still iffy about tuning right now. There's still the 3stage intake manifold.

Quote:
Sweet Jason!!!
I'm sure it'll get a bit louder.

FYI, with the tune kit from ESS, you can reverse back to factory in case you're worried about bringing the car to the Stealer for warranty purpose.

It's worth to check with Eurocharged & AA too since they're now offering kit like ESS.

Eurocharged mentioned that they can upgrade the tune for FREE if you upgrade your mods. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Appreciate 0