E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Control Arm Replacement Time?

03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
Zengineer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340xi BGM

I have provided more updates here, no fix yet though: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821087

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
I have provided more updates here, no fix yet though: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821087
ever figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #25
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have the same issue. did you ever find a solution?
I am thinking about upgrading to M3 Control Arm Bushing, Control Arm and sway bar links

but it would suck if it did not resolve the issue...
      05-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #26
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
I just now got my floor jack and jackstands, ordering the new control arms and hope to have them replaced in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the results back here!

Sorry for the mega-delay, in the process of closing on a hose/moving/etc.
For the record, my issue is resolved. It was old tires that were not true, and the wheels needed to be road forced balanced.

Watch out for "new" tires. My Indy shop figured this all out and said, my tires were manufactured in 2008 even though they were purchased in 2011. He said when they sit too long, depending on where the warehouse is, it can cause integrity issues with the tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
hunnypuppy
Rep
Drives: 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
For the record, my issue is resolved. It was old tires that were not true, and the wheels needed to be road forced balanced.

Watch out for "new" tires. My Indy shop figured this all out and said, my tires were manufactured in 2008 even though they were purchased in 2011. He said when they sit too long, depending on where the warehouse is, it can cause integrity issues with the tires.
Yep I had the same issue TWICE!

I had a shimmy vibration in my steering at about 60mph. The dealership hooked it up and found that one tyre had a "flat spot". Probably due to fact that I don't drive my car for weeks sometimes and the lying on the ground one tyre got a permanent flat spot. Anyways they were original with about 50k on them to replaced them.

ordered a new set of Continental DWS, installed and road force balanced by Firestone (which BTW isn't very good because it only balances upto 60mph and doesn't identify out of round tires, see below). Left the car for 2 weeks, then I felt a shimmy while driving. It stays for a few miles (esp in cold weather) and then goes away once the tires heat up (rounds off more after heating). Then one day the shimmy didn't go and I went to Butler tires in Atlanta, they ran a high speed wheel balancing at 100mph and found 2 tires to be "out of round". These were brand new, probably lying around for years in the warehouse (ordered from tirerack.com). Anyways the company covered them under warranty and sent me 2 new ones and no issues since.

Just have to note depending upon tire quality, you can get temporary flat spots when the car doesn't move for a while (it's 2tons lying on a spot!), esp in cold weather. If the quality isn't good the flat spot won't go, most cases it'll round out after a few miles.

If you're don't do much driving or take long vacations (say a month or more) get a good quality tire that can withstand flat spots (definitely not continental) and extra inflate!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #28
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Old thread but interesting to review. My car does the same after sitting during winter storage. The classic car guys ($$$) jack there cars up for that reason.
I'm experiencing a similar noise but it's only around 20-30mph when slowing. Time for some investigation work.
Appreciate 0