E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > "Genuine" MV3 alloys ?

03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
"Genuine" MV3 alloys ?

There are a couple of people selling MV3 alloys which they claim are genuine BMW items. However when questioned about the manufacturer they say these wheels are made by Ronal.

I suspect these are not what we would recognise as truly genuine BMW items, but I guess Ronal may make them for BMW and these come out of the same factory.........?

What do people think?

http://************/bmwmv3a
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Does nobody have a view about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Ronal are a good brand, and manufacture many OEM alloys.
      03-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Yes, they are probably made BY Ronal FOR BMW.

I haven't looked at an MV3, but other OEM alloys have Ronal cast into them.
      03-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
adam246
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

as long as they have the bmw part numbers on the rear of the wheels then they will be genuine.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Smoothound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 330D SE

Sorry to necropost, but I have the answer to this post :

I bought a set of these wheels from this seller. They are branded Ronal in the inner rim and there is a paper sticker on the rim saying "Genuine BMW Replacement Part".

I sent my car in for some work to be done and it came back from BMW with a warning on the safety check saying "Non-BMW Wheels Fitted"

This p*ssed me right off as I payed good money for them.

Comparing directly to a real MV3 : The silver paint is brighter, this things really pop out! On first inspection they are almost identical to the real deal. However, they don't have the symbols on the inner rim/hub like the genuine ones (looks a bit like a astrology starsign).

The centrecap isn't the same either. They are plastic centre caps with a clear plastic/rubber sticker. One is already peeling off 6 months later.

I saw a 3er in a carpark the other day and it was missing it's centre cap. On closer inspection I'm 100% sure it's on of these Ronal wheels.

So in summary I would say these are NOT genuine wheels at all.

However they are almost indistinguishable from the real thing and are a fraction of the price.
      06-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Ronal Also Make................................... Tum...tum...tum...
* Que Dramatic Music *
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

^^ LOL hahaa is that real?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

I recently ordered some 'genuine' 19" CSL style wheels made by Ronal, overall the experience has been pretty awful but purely due to the seller. The wheels were ordered 5 weeks ago and have still not arrived, the seller went from 3-5 days, to then claiming they were made to order 13-15 days, to no longer answering my calls, forcing me to open a credit card dispute & chargeback.

The wheels you are looking at are most likely not genuine, Ronal are a quality german manufacturer that do produce oem lines for BMW, but also produce high quality lightweight replica wheels in different sizes and offsets. I am sure that if these wheels have genuinely been made by Ronal, whether oem or otherwise then the product will be superb, however how can you tell what you're getting when buying from ebay until it arrives?

It's easy to take a photo of a wheel on your living room carpet, set up a website and an ebay account, so just be careful.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I'm not sure about Ronal manufacturing OEM wheels for BMW,however the MV4 (225) wheels were made for BMW by Cromodora.

I've also never come across a BMW wheel with a subcontract suppliers name being cast into a wheel for BMW,it's not something I would imagine BMW would agree to (could be wrong though)

This is a brand new MV4 (225) wheel supplied by my dealer to replace a cracked one (warranty):

If you're in any doubt about the authenticity of a wheel for sale,just ask the seller to take a photo of the back of it,all the details should be there,most importantly the part no,size and BMW stamp.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0