E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread

04-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #265
Atorsesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 123

Where are you guys mounting the display unit for the MS-8? Is it even necessary to have access to once everything is calibrated?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #266
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I placed mine in the ashtray. I also store the remote there. It is just loose, not permanently mounted.
      04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #267
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliceman13300 View Post
Where are you guys mounting the display unit for the MS-8? Is it even necessary to have access to once everything is calibrated?
No, it's not, and we don't install them as a rule. We don't recommend they be installed, as the remote is not smooth enough to really use all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #268
Chuck.Ruiz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 xDrive - M Package

Since I just wrapped up my MS-8 and amp install, I feel like I should add my experience to this ginormous thread.

My gear:

Channels 1 & 2: Focal 100 KRS (front doors)
Channels 3 & 4: Focal 100 KRS (rear panels)
Channels 5 & 6: Earthquake SWS-8X (under seats)
Channel 7: Focal Access 100 CA1 (center)
Channel 8: 2 - JL Audio 10w6 (subs)
Amplifiers: 2 - Alpine PDX-5: Channels 1-4 feeding one, channels 5-7 feeding the other, channel 8 split to feed the sub channel on each.

Yes... All of this jammed into an E93. Sorry, grocery bags, no more trunk space for you! I'll post some pics once I finish up the trim work and false trunk floor.

I wish I had read this thread BEFORE starting my tuning, but alas, I am a glutton for punishment.

Things sound quite nice right now, but I'm sure that I'll get plenty of feedback on what I can do to make things better.

FL, FR, RL, RR, Cen: 180 Hz, 24 dB/Oct
SL, SR (under seat woofers): 50 Hz, 6 dB/Oct
Sub: 20 Hz, 12 dB/Oct

Prior to the tuning phase, I set the MS-8 volume to -40, set the amplifier gains to nominal for FL, FR, RL, RR & Center; -0.5 for SL, SR, & Sub.

Tuned for Drivers seat.

Once tuning was complete, turned the gain for the center down to about -0.75, and the gain up for SL, SR & Sub to about 1.5. I also set the low pass crossover on the under seat woofers to 180 Hz.

I had tried setting the Crossover for the Focals lower, but they didn't seem to like it. Letting the under seat woofers do their job made an enormous difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #269
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.Ruiz View Post
Since I just wrapped up my MS-8 and amp install, I feel like I should add my experience to this ginormous thread.

My gear:

Channels 1 & 2: Focal 100 KRS (front doors)
Channels 3 & 4: Focal 100 KRS (rear panels)
Channels 5 & 6: Earthquake SWS-8X (under seats)
Channel 7: Focal Access 100 CA1 (center)
Channel 8: 2 - JL Audio 10w6 (subs)
Amplifiers: 2 - Alpine PDX-5: Channels 1-4 feeding one, channels 5-7 feeding the other, channel 8 split to feed the sub channel on each.

Yes... All of this jammed into an E93. Sorry, grocery bags, no more trunk space for you! I'll post some pics once I finish up the trim work and false trunk floor.

I wish I had read this thread BEFORE starting my tuning, but alas, I am a glutton for punishment.

Things sound quite nice right now, but I'm sure that I'll get plenty of feedback on what I can do to make things better.

FL, FR, RL, RR, Cen: 180 Hz, 24 dB/Oct
SL, SR (under seat woofers): 50 Hz, 6 dB/Oct
Sub: 20 Hz, 12 dB/Oct

Prior to the tuning phase, I set the MS-8 volume to -40, set the amplifier gains to nominal for FL, FR, RL, RR & Center; -0.5 for SL, SR, & Sub.

Tuned for Drivers seat.

Once tuning was complete, turned the gain for the center down to about -0.75, and the gain up for SL, SR & Sub to about 1.5. I also set the low pass crossover on the under seat woofers to 180 Hz.

I had tried setting the Crossover for the Focals lower, but they didn't seem to like it. Letting the under seat woofers do their job made an enormous difference.
You have the underseats set as SIDES ??? If so that is totally wrong.
      04-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #270
Chuck.Ruiz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 xDrive - M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You have the underseats set as SIDES ??? If so that is totally wrong.
Why? Am I missing something about how the MS-8 handles "sides", with regards to calibration? Otherwise, they're just playing 50 Hz - 180 Hz, which they seem to be doing pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #271
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

In L7 mode, sides just play ambient sounds, theyare NOT part of the front stage. What you probably did incorrectly was to set your front speakers as 1-way when they should be 2-way. Once you select 2-way, you will have FL Hi, FR Hi (door speakers) AND FL Lo and FR Lo (underseat wooofers).
      04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #272
austinjsb8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
I spoke to soon, still one remaining issue:

When the MS-8 unit and JL amp finally power down and turn off all of the speakers are making a quick, but quite loud "POP" sound. I am hoping once i clean up the wires laying everywhere this could solve this problem? Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Hey guys,

Still trying to solve the "pop" issue i am having when the MS-8 turns off, and sometimes when it turns on. I've been trying to find a solution online and can't seem to find one. I re-read the installation manual and found this section again:

"IMPORTANT: The MS-8 MUST control the turn-on signal of all the other amplifiers that follow the MS-8 in the signal path. If your system includes a factory-installed outboard amplifier, the turn-on signal may be available at the amplifier. If your factory amplifier has a turn-on wire, cut it and connect the head-unit side of the wire to the MS-8’s Rem In terminal and the amplifier side of the wire to the MS-8’s Rem Out terminal.

This arrangement will allow the factory stereo to turn the MS-8 on whenever the
stereo is turned on and will allow the MS-8 to turn the factory amplifier on and off. It will also help to eliminate audible clicks and pops when the system turns on and off."

I've noticed the "POP" sound occurs when I THINK the HU shuts down and not when the MS-8 shuts down, as the blue indicator light remains on a few seconds after the sound. I am wondering if the problem stems from the signal sent from the headunit into the factory L7 amp, turning off this amp, and this signal is then causing the "pop" to be sent through the MS-8 (still powered on, with REM connected to pin 13 on the HU), and through my external amp as well. From everything I've learned and read, there is no REM signal turn on/off to the L7 amp to cut into, so this leaves me wondering how to solve this...

Does anyone know of a REM turn on source that turns OFF prior to the factory L7 amp being shut down? I'd like to try connecting the REM ON for the MS-8 to such a source so that when the L7 amp shuts down it will be sending any signal into a powered down MS-8.

Overall this issue is making me really hate the MS-8 despite the sound quality improvement, and i hope i can solve it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #273
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

if anyone is reading this thread and thinks they want one of the MS-8 let me know. I have one brand new in box never installed I may sell it. PM me for details. In AZ...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #274
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
Hey guys,

Still trying to solve the "pop" issue i am having when the MS-8 turns off, and sometimes when it turns on. I've been trying to find a solution online and can't seem to find one. I re-read the installation manual and found this section again:

"IMPORTANT: The MS-8 MUST control the turn-on signal of all the other amplifiers that follow the MS-8 in the signal path. If your system includes a factory-installed outboard amplifier, the turn-on signal may be available at the amplifier. If your factory amplifier has a turn-on wire, cut it and connect the head-unit side of the wire to the MS-8’s Rem In terminal and the amplifier side of the wire to the MS-8’s Rem Out terminal.

This arrangement will allow the factory stereo to turn the MS-8 on whenever the
stereo is turned on and will allow the MS-8 to turn the factory amplifier on and off. It will also help to eliminate audible clicks and pops when the system turns on and off."

I've noticed the "POP" sound occurs when I THINK the HU shuts down and not when the MS-8 shuts down, as the blue indicator light remains on a few seconds after the sound. I am wondering if the problem stems from the signal sent from the headunit into the factory L7 amp, turning off this amp, and this signal is then causing the "pop" to be sent through the MS-8 (still powered on, with REM connected to pin 13 on the HU), and through my external amp as well. From everything I've learned and read, there is no REM signal turn on/off to the L7 amp to cut into, so this leaves me wondering how to solve this...

Does anyone know of a REM turn on source that turns OFF prior to the factory L7 amp being shut down? I'd like to try connecting the REM ON for the MS-8 to such a source so that when the L7 amp shuts down it will be sending any signal into a powered down MS-8.

Overall this issue is making me really hate the MS-8 despite the sound quality improvement, and i hope i can solve it.
You should be able to find something that is ignition controlled pretty easily at the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #275
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
You should be able to find something that is ignition controlled pretty easily at the fuse box.
People have used the cigarette lighter circuit as a TO, but of course in this case you would lose all system sounds, including BT, when the ignition is off.
      04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #276
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I am still struggling thinking I may keep my new MS8 and install it.

Can anyone tell me lets say I have INPUT from the front door left and right and I have input from one under seat sub to channel 8 is that enough?

I mean is it necessary to add input side Center, rear deck, other woofer?

Or does the MS8 figure it out and sum from just the doors and woofer?

Its weird I can get the speakers to SHHHH out of each one and got the sweep noise from each speaker even the subs but I get no volume from the subs when music plays, no midbass, no low range at all basically.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #277
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Based on some testing yesterday, anyone adding an MS-8 to a BMW E9x who doesn't run a trunk sub, DON'T set it up for the underseats to be subs. Define your system as subless and then define the front as a three-way setup. Otherwise, your 4"s will hate you.
Can anyone tell me what this means? And if they are not set up as "subs" what should I label them as in the set up?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #278
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335forme View Post
Can anyone tell me what this means? And if they are not set up as "subs" what should I label them as in the set up?
Look at post 22 in this thread, that's how you set it up.
      04-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #279
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So front is a 1 way or 2 way?

Funny that post is what I printed for the installer, he supposedly did the install from that post.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #280
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So front is a 1 way or 2 way?

Funny that post is what I printed for the installer, he supposedly did the install from that post.
2-way!
      04-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #281
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
2-way!
Special thank you to Kaigoss69

Not sure what I was doing originally that I did this time but man. What a difference. I really appreciate you taking the time. I have a feeling the crossover settings my installer was trying were way off was the reason it would not sound right.

I didnt add or take away from any inputs. Still no center or rear are into the input on the ms8.

Did you know I am also Hemi4me on the DIY? LOL you were answering on both hahaha.

Couple things.

What does everyones EQ curve look like?

Does anyone mess with the MS8 tones like sub level, mid, treble, bass and center?

I feel like a lot of the sound I hear is coming from the front left door?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #282
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

The MS-8 target curve is the same for every MS-8. Having the 31-band eq to play with as well as user selectable crossover means no two cars will sound the same though.

Try turning the processing on and off and see if the sound moves toward or away from the door. When you did the sweeps did you make sure the tweeters were off, covered, or inaudible? That can screw up the time alignment.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #283
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Special thank you to Kaigoss69

Not sure what I was doing originally that I did this time but man. What a difference. I really appreciate you taking the time. I have a feeling the crossover settings my installer was trying were way off was the reason it would not sound right.

I didnt add or take away from any inputs. Still no center or rear are into the input on the ms8.

Did you know I am also Hemi4me on the DIY? LOL you were answering on both hahaha.

Couple things.

What does everyones EQ curve look like?

Does anyone mess with the MS8 tones like sub level, mid, treble, bass and center?

I feel like a lot of the sound I hear is coming from the front left door?
If the stage is not centered, and assuming you did the calibration correctly, then one of the front door or center speakers may be wired incorrectly (backwards). Double-check the wiring polarities, also going in to the processor. There is a L7 wiring diagram on this forum.
      04-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #284
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

From post #22

For the fronts, select the "high-pass" (which is actually a subsonic filter for the underseat woofers - a bit confusing).

I saw some of your xover points and you put "150 hz for now".

How can I get the under seats to play a little more? I mean it sounds to me like I am getting very little out of the under seat woofer. I mean I can feel em but seems like very little output (I do currently have the ms8 playing them...) I will be adding earthquakes and a 150x2 on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #285
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can anyone tel me why my stock radio keeps changing my bass and treble after turning the car on ? Bass goes to plus 3 amd treble to plus 4
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #286
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have read through the 13 page tread and it is some great information - thanks to all. I think I am set for phase II of my final build with the information that I have found here.
Although, I have a bit of a different problem since I want to do this install in 2 phases. I bought a Dynavin head unit to replace the BMW Professional Stereo with my 2008 335xi and the MS 8 to do a workaround as I have logic 7.
I only want to hook up the MS 8 to the factory speakers right now and add woofers and another amp in stage 2 (I just spent too much money on the DVN, MS 8 and a COBB tune to do all this at once). So anyway, I have a few questions that I didn't see the answer to in the tread. First, what would be the best set up for phase 1 (without adding additional speakers or amp) and Second, would I need a harness (Technic) if I am just running RCA to the HU and hooking up the speakers to the HS 8?

Thanks for your help, I would not ask but I did read through the thread a few times and didn't see my specific answers. I could be that I am new and dumb and lazy and all that other stuff, but I just need some help because I am doing the install this weekend.
Thanks Again.
Appreciate 0