E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP failure on brand new 335i?

08-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Crazy AWD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

HPFP failure on brand new 335i?

Brand new 2009 335i, ~1 week old, 750 Miles. The Service Department battle has begun.

So last week Monday night I install the ar aux oil cooler (nice package). Thursday night I'm driving for about two minutes (starting from cold engine), go over a bump, and then get the engine power reduced message along with a 4x4 and DSC disabled message.

I take the car home and park it overnight. Next day I go to start the car and the idle engine RPMs are all over the place (500-1500) and I have a yellow service engine soon light (no other messages). I attempted to drive the car to the dealer...but when I came to a complete stop the engine would just stall on me. It took about 5-6 presses of the start/stop button to get the car restarted. I then carefully made it back home...never coming to a complete stop less the car would stall again. Had it towed.

The dealer doesn't know what the problem is. They ordered a MAP sensor today (SA said they ordered a "Mass Air Flow" sensor...ha, right...but this is why he is a SA and not a tech). They are going to try to put that in tomorrow and see what happens. I get a call today that they want to do some more diagnostic time on the car and if it's do to my modification (oil cooler) then they are going to charge me 3hr diag time. If it's under warranty then they will cover it of course.

My general opinion to this is I'm really not looking forward to having to diagnose my own car's issues because the dealer's service department is incapable of fault tracing or is unwilling. (had to do this back with my Volvo S60 R all the time).

I don't have the codes yet...although I should have them tomorrow when I get to talk with the shop foreman. However, my first guess from the anecdotal evidence is that my HPFP, or perhaps the HPF sensor, bit the dust. Agree? Disagree? Other ideas?

Oh, and yes, I do have a BT tool on order now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Interesting that this was caused after a bump. I wonder if something got left loose during the cooler installation?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

The dead hooker in the trunk probably rattled something loose when you hit that bump.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Crazy AWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
The dead hooker in the trunk probably rattled something loose when you hit that bump.
That should probably be plural...it's a big trunk after all!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Crazy AWD
Private
Rep

OK - Codes

29E0:
29E0 Fuel mixture control
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have not been completed
Timeout

29E1:
29E1 Fuel mixture control 2
Timeout

2A2C:
2A2C Fuel mixture control 2
Short circuit or signal interruption

2A2B:
2A2B Fuel mixture control
Short circuit or signal interruption
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

fuel mixture? that has nothing to do with oil coolers.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

bad gas?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

sounds like his AFR is off, that has nothing to do with bad gas or oil coolers.

MAP sounds like a good cantidate, I dont know maybe HPFP as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

It's your imagination.

Nothing ever fails on our 335's.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Crazy AWD
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if 2A2B/2A2C is a physical sensor or just some magic calculated value.

Thinking fuel system or loose connector/pinched connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Sounds to me like bad timing, and I don't mean with the engine. I think it's a coincidence that it happened after your cooler install. IMO this was going to happen in any case. Let the dealer fix it - that's what the warranty is for.
      08-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy AWD View Post
Brand new 2009 335i, ~1 week old, 750 Miles. The Service Department battle has begun.

So last week Monday night I install the ar aux oil cooler (nice package). Thursday night I'm driving for about two minutes (starting from cold engine), go over a bump, and then get the engine power reduced message along with a 4x4 and DSC disabled message.

I take the car home and park it overnight. Next day I go to start the car and the idle engine RPMs are all over the place (500-1500) and I have a yellow service engine soon light (no other messages). I attempted to drive the car to the dealer...but when I came to a complete stop the engine would just stall on me. It took about 5-6 presses of the start/stop button to get the car restarted. I then carefully made it back home...never coming to a complete stop less the car would stall again. Had it towed.

The dealer doesn't know what the problem is. They ordered a MAP sensor today (SA said they ordered a "Mass Air Flow" sensor...ha, right...but this is why he is a SA and not a tech). They are going to try to put that in tomorrow and see what happens. I get a call today that they want to do some more diagnostic time on the car and if it's do to my modification (oil cooler) then they are going to charge me 3hr diag time. If it's under warranty then they will cover it of course.

My general opinion to this is I'm really not looking forward to having to diagnose my own car's issues because the dealer's service department is incapable of fault tracing or is unwilling. (had to do this back with my Volvo S60 R all the time).

I don't have the codes yet...although I should have them tomorrow when I get to talk with the shop foreman. However, my first guess from the anecdotal evidence is that my HPFP, or perhaps the HPF sensor, bit the dust. Agree? Disagree? Other ideas?

Oh, and yes, I do have a BT tool on order now.
hey man!

best of luck, sucks you had an issue so quickly!!!! i put almost 40k miles on my heavily modded 335 w out a problem, maybe i was lucky.
      08-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You're right. It's pretty clear that BMW doesn't have a viable HPFP for the gasoline supply in the USA, nearly three years after the car was introduced. So for all you noobs who just took delivery, you can continue to fear the dreaded long crank every time you hit the START button!!!

That's pathetic, any way you look at it...
      08-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Chevron is the only gas station in my area that doesn't have the "Up to 10% Ethanol" sticker.

Instead they have a sticker that says "This gasoline is oxygenated"

Is it basically the same shit?
      08-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AlpineTTSedan View Post
Chevron is the only gas station in my area that doesn't have the "Up to 10% Ethanol" sticker.

Instead they have a sticker that says "This gasoline is oxygenated"

Is it basically the same shit?
I believe the OC (and most of Cali for that matter) is on the mandatory reormulated gas plan.

So, if Chevron is indeed selling gas without 10% ethanol, then I believe they can get in some deep shit with the EPA.

Check this map to see if your county is ghey

Basically, if you live in a red area (which is a good slice of the population in the US), you're F'd in the A. It's odd how high pollution areas are the ones targeted for reformulated gas when it burns quicker, and pollutes more. In fact, the ethanol leg-humpers are up in arms because California's new proposed clean air standards would make it so that reformulated gas would not pass, but pure dino gas would.... Interesting stuff, huh?

Don't drink the ethanol kool aid.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

So if the pump isnt labeled they have no ethanol? I have seen some here that dont say it.

Charlotte NC...

Any KNOWN brands that dont ethanate their gas?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

this sux...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I believe the OC (and most of Cali for that matter) is on the mandatory reormulated gas plan.

So, if Chevron is indeed selling gas without 10% ethanol, then I believe they can get in some deep shit with the EPA.
Not necessarily, and I quote the EPA website

"Reformulated Gas"

Reformulated gasoline (known as "RFG") is gas blended to burn cleaner by reducing smog-forming and toxic pollutants in the air we breathe. The Clean Air Act requires that RFG be used in cities with the worst smog pollution to reduce harmful emissions that cause ground-level ozone.

The law also specifies that RFG contain oxygen (2 percent by weight). MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) and ethanol are the two most commonly used substances that add oxygen to gasoline. Oil companies decide which substance to use to meet the law's requirements.

This is important... The Oil Companies decide!!! SO With that being said, the OIL Companies decided to put ethanol in the gas which messes around so much with our HPFP's.... but Hey, I could be wrong, it could be the sulfur content which is posted in another thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288034

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army335xi View Post

The law also specifies that RFG contain oxygen (2 percent by weight). MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) and ethanol are the two most commonly used substances that add oxygen to gasoline. Oil companies decide which substance to use to meet the law's requirements.

This is important... The Oil Companies decide!!! SO With that being said, the OIL Companies decided to put ethanol in the gas which messes around so much with our HPFP's.... but Hey, I could be wrong, it could be the sulfur content which is posted in another thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288034
I stand corrected.

I still don't understand how ethanol is seen as less polluting when it can't pass the upcoming CARB mandates when old gas can??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #20
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I stand corrected.

I still don't understand how ethanol is seen as less polluting when it can't pass the upcoming CARB mandates when old gas can??
could you post the link to the CARB information -- ???

with the current ethanol/gasoline mix the problem may not be passing the updated standards for HC / CO -- it may be that the ethanol is creating a "too lean" mixture thus leading to problem controlling NoX.. which in CARBs book is the main offender (ozone layer wise) -- or at least it was when i got certified many moons ago..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
Crazy AWD
Private
Rep

Yippy! Seem to have corrected the issue...

I took out the throttle body and inspected it...there was a small defect in the throttle plate (piece of mettle from the machining process). Took the throttle plate out of the throttle body and used a straight razor blade to clean off the edge.

It looks like the throttle body was not able to fully close when it was going through its initial calibration...so the computer must have thought the throttle plate was at x degrees when it was really at x degrees + ~5 degrees extra.

Need to put the car all back together for some high speed tests now...yah!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I was thinking you might have accidentally loosened up one of the FMIC or CV fittings. Hope the throttle plate solves the problem.
Appreciate 0