E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best Suspension Upgrade?

10-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #23
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I agree. These cars are designed to go on the autoBahn at 155mph all day. Cornering however is much different.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
Ramsey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xi

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
2011 335 M Sport  [0.00]
[QUOTE=justpete;16861282]Racing brake fluid and a few weekend HPDEs will show how much the driver needs improving before the car does (that's true for anyone who hasn't tracked a car before, nothing personal). QUOTE]

Agree, will eventually track it one of those days and find out for myself.

By the way you have quite an impressive list of upgrades, lots of DIYs?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
[QUOTE=Ramsey;16862041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Racing brake fluid and a few weekend HPDEs will show how much the driver needs improving before the car does (that's true for anyone who hasn't tracked a car before, nothing personal). QUOTE]

Agree, will eventually track it one of those days and find out for myself.

By the way you have quite an impressive list of upgrades, lots of DIYs?
No DIY (OK, I installed the Ultimate Pedals - oooo ), built by a local SCCA race team. More to come this winter. How much more I haven't decided but we're working on it.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Ramsey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xi

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
2011 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I agree. These cars are designed to go on the autoBahn at 155mph all day. Cornering however is much different.
I forgot to add that I am just back from a businss trip to Germany. I did get to drive on the autobahn for about six hours in a Volvo X60 SUV. Not the best experience. Had a close call switching to the left most lane, floored the Volvo but nothing happened while a new Mercedes E- coming at me probably 145 MPH, had to swerve back into my lane and break hard to avoid a truck!

Wish I had my 335, would have been different. Autobahn driving is a completely different ball game than what we have here....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I'm looking to do my suspension with coilovers next Friday. I've heard several opinions, each with people saying good and bad. I want to know which would fit my needs the best. Thx

I have an e93 335i. I'm looking for something that will give me the max handling with minimal degradation of ride comfort. I live in Florida, mostly smooth roads. I have stock sport suspension. I'm also planning on M3 front control arms and M3 subframe and control arm bushings, and a WaveTrac LSD with Defiv Fabrication rear lockdown. I am not looking to lower much if any past stock sport suspension level. Maybe 1" max in front, 1/2" rear. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. FINAL OBJECTIVE IS TO OUT HANDLE A LAST GENERATION M3 OR CURRENT M4 WITHOUT HAVING A HARSH RIDE.

I've looked at the following
Bilstein B12 pro
BC Racing BR
KW V2
KW comfort street.

All are in the budget.
-Bilstein has the most recommendations so far. Most say very comfortable but handling may be less than others.
-BC was recommended by my installer. It has a mix of good and bad but he says as good as the others and it's based in my town and he has a relationship with them. If I have any problems or want any changes he can get it done fast and easy.
-KW both look good. But their descriptions of these suck. Hard to tell how they compare to each other or the other brands based on general adjectives vs say a rating scale for different characteristics.

Anyway, I need to decide ASAP. Any feedback at all is welcome. No, I don't want HR, Koni, ST, etc. Thx.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I would add ohlins to that mix. I don't have them, but everyone on this site that has got them just raves.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #29
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I would add ohlins to that mix. I don't have them, but everyone on this site that has got them just raves.
they are nothing to rave about, people are actually selling them a lot now. The springs are way to soft. Have to upgrade springs, even then they don't compare to KW2 they are about equal to a ST st best.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #30
MIL.SPEC
Private
Rep
Drives: '05 Evo, '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
they are nothing to rave about, people are actually selling them a lot now. The springs are way to soft. Have to upgrade springs, even then they don't compare to KW2 they are about equal to a ST st best.
THe Ohlins are a great set-up, however (and this was my biggest question which you answered) I have no idea if the springs that come with the kit are the best option.

There is a guy named John Mueller who sets up cars (mostly Evos) here in SoCal and sells a bunch of Ohlins R&T kits. His shop Muellerized set up the Motons on my Evo, and he's got an in-house shock dyno.

I know he's set up a 1M with Motons and he's done a few GT-R's on the R&T's. So if you're in SoCal, he's a suspension guy you can trust to set up the car properly. And he'll find you a correct set of springs and set the dampening up accordingly. Plus, you know, he'll take you on a "Hell Ride" after your car is done to show you everything it can do

Quote:
P.S inserts are a joke abd your fooling yourself if you think they make much difference. I prefer to do things right the 1st time, I do see why you suggested them....to stay in budget.
Define "joke." Filling in all that void area with firmer polyurethane can't hurt. And if they truly are a "joke," you've only wasted $50 and an hour of labor. It's a good short cut if you have a budget to keep in mind...plus, with labor M3 rear subframe bushings have effectively doubled his original budget. Whiteline sells a decent number of these because they were on national back order.

For me, with the B12 kit, the inserts should be just fine and perfect for a DD. I do not want to open a can of worms and start adding stuff to the 335i. I've already done that with the Evo. Lesson learned

Last edited by MIL.SPEC; 10-31-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #31
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I replaced my ST's with Olhins and feel I made a huge mistake. If you are looking for a comfort type of coilover I would recommend them. However, if performance is your goal, I would not be able to recommend them. I have upgraded springs in the rear and need to have the struts revalved to handle it.

The adjustment rings have seized because of rust and I feel they are too soft. I have replaced my entire suspension and consider them the weak link...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL.SPEC View Post
THe Ohlins are a great set-up, however (and this was my biggest question which you answered) I have no idea if the springs that come with the kit are the best option.

There is a guy named John Mueller who sets up cars (mostly Evos) here in SoCal and sells a bunch of Ohlins R&T kits. His shop Muellerized set up the Motons on my Evo, and he's got an in-house shock dyno.

I know he's set up a 1M with Motons and he's done a few GT-R's on the R&T's. So if you're in SoCal, he's a suspension guy you can trust to set up the car properly. And he'll find you a correct set of springs and set the dampening up accordingly. Plus, you know, he'll take you on a "Hell Ride" after your car is done to show you everything it can do

Define "joke." Filling in all that void area with firmer polyurethane can't hurt. And if they truly are a "joke," you've only wasted $50 and an hour of labor. It's a good short cut if you have a budget to keep in mind...plus, with labor M3 rear subframe bushings have effectively doubled his original budget. Whiteline sells a decent number of these because they were on national back order.

For me, with the B12 kit, the inserts should be just fine and perfect for a DD. I do not want to open a can of worms and start adding stuff to the 335i. I've already done that with the Evo. Lesson learned
ohlins on the E9x are just not great, you look at ohlins on M3 ire even different platform it is different story. They are not great on this platform. Comfort, yes...performance.....nope. I was not a KW fan either, second I put clubsports on, I saw what I was missing.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #33
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:

joke = bandaid. Your going to fill in a old worn out bushing with new insert. Fix the entire issue. I can do subframe bushings in 2 hours. I guess if your on a budget these would be better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #34
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I'm doing kw v2, M3 subframe bushings, and m3 front swing arms and bushings. Replace shock tower bushings with oem I think. That with a wavetrac LSD and defiv fab diff lockdown should give me some improvements.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #35
MIL.SPEC
Private
Rep

Quote:
ohlins on the E9x are just not great, you look at ohlins on M3 ire even different platform it is different story. They are not great on this platform. Comfort, yes...performance.....nope. I was not a KW fan either, second I put clubsports on, I saw what I was missing.
Interesting. Like I said, I am still learning this platform. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Mueller could get them set up properly. There are guys putting down good track times with them on the Evo and their Lotus Cup car is doing well.

http://muellerized.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #36
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Interesting. Like I said, I am still learning this platform. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Mueller could get them set up properly. There are guys putting down good track times with them on the Evo and their Lotus Cup car is doing well.

http://muellerized.com/
if you are going to plunk down ohlins cash and then have to get them tuned by a shop... for a daily and/or street car, whats the point? a good suspension tuner can get all the performance out of a much less costly platform.

an off the shelf bilstein HD(given the same spring rate) that has been tuned by a top suspension guy will give 100% the performance of ANY high end damper under normal use. only under track conditions will the shortcomings of an off the shelf unit become apparent.

as for a guy who is looking to make his daily a little more rewarding with an eye towards more, there are several off the shelf bolt ins that will more than accomodate his requirements. not everyone wants to spend the time, energy and money on a custom tuned suspension.

i say this all the time in my motorcycle community:

a well tuned 'stock' suspension will run circles around a poorly tuned 'best' suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #37
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
... I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. FINAL OBJECTIVE IS TO OUT HANDLE A LAST GENERATION M3 OR CURRENT M4 WITHOUT HAVING A HARSH RIDE.
How about starting with wider front tires? A 235 front tire width is already deficient to a e9x M's stock 245, let alone a F8X's 255. Get wider tires (255 or 265) and add front camber via camber plates or pull the alignment pins from the top hats to max the negative camber to get a real leap in grip.
      11-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #38
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
If you are looking for a comfort type of coilover I would recommend them. However, if performance is your goal, I would not be able to recommend them. I have upgraded springs in the rear and need to have the struts revalved to handle it.
They don't do bad for a comfort coilover, with the front wheel drive lap record at the Nurburgring smashed by the Megane R275 Trophy-R which runs DFV's.

Trophy 'ring record
Ohlins DFV with 400/800 Swifts // M3 arms and bushes // H&R anti-roll bars // Modified top mounts allowing -1.5 deg front camber // 19" MORR VS8.2 // 235/265 Pilot Super Sports // Wavetrac // Evolve remap.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #39
MIL.SPEC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
if you are going to plunk down ohlins cash and then have to get them tuned by a shop... for a daily and/or street car, whats the point? a good suspension tuner can get all the performance out of a much less costly platform.
A little FYI, Mueller almost always (unless you're looking for custom dampening) includes his set-up with the cost of the unit. That, of course, doesn't take into consideration installation or the cost different springs if you request them. It's not like you pay for the shocks and then pay for him to tune them. That's not how he works
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #40
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

B12 vs kw sc? What would you pick?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #41
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
B12 vs kw sc? What would you pick?
If cost and longevity are criteria, B12. If my kw's ever give out I'll probably give B12 a try.
      11-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
They don't do bad for a comfort coilover, with the front wheel drive lap record at the Nurburgring smashed by the Megane R275 Trophy-R which runs DFV's.

Trophy 'ring record
don't think the op is going on the Nurburgring A's also have to realize it is more than just the "coilovers" that let him win this. I will say DFV (ohlins) are much better on other platforms...on this one, I have to say no. I know you know a lot about suspension so I am a bit surprised you don't think this also.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #43
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I am still learning this platform as I have only had my 335 for about 6 months. However, I recommended the Whiteline inserts over the M3 rear subframe bushings because the inserts are easy to do, and from what I remember (unless you're doing the labor yourself), the M3 bushings install with parts is ~$1,000.

And like other people say, real tires are a must with upgraded suspension. People love the Michelin PSS here, it seems to be the forum DD tire of choice. I am going with the Hankook RS-3's because that is the best all-around tire I've found. Love them on the Evo. Looking forward to them on the 335. I will say I do have PS-2's on the 335 at the moment, and they're a pretty good tire (although it's not like I've pushed the e92 with that stupid, super-floaty rear subframe moving around out back). Anywho...

You can do the M3 control arms like people recommend. But then you may run the danger of wanting to do more. I say that because when I was doing the Evo, I was learning about all the separate bushings and what started out as a simple idea ended up with me replacing EVERY SINGLE BUSHING on the car. If it wasn't an upgraded poly bushing, it was making sure the OEM spherical bushings were new with no play.

Now, all this advice/opinion is caveated with how much of a DIY person you are. Are you going to pay someone to do this? Or are you going to go down to Harbor Freight, buy every tool you need including presses and get it done yourself?

What I put in my original post is my "get it and forget it" setup. Because that should suit most tastes. If you end up doing more, you may end up with a set of remote reservoir Motons on your car that need to be rebuilt every 20,000 miles. Don't ask me how I know
I'm very pleased with my setup - the missing piece is an LSD, but that is proving to be difficult to source for my 335is without taking it off the road, as exchange diffs are hard to find. Don't be deterred from trying the Whiteline inserts - they make a substantial improvement for minimal investment.
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #44
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxman1950 View Post
I'm very pleased with my setup - the missing piece is an LSD, but that is proving to be difficult to source for my 335is without taking it off the road, as exchange diffs are hard to find. Don't be deterred from trying the Whiteline inserts - they make a substantial improvement for minimal investment.
my full replacment poly bushing I just found out mushroomed abd looks to be cracked. I am going with these

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...m-e82-e9x.aspx
Appreciate 0