E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front axle broke the 3rd time

05-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #45
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon60530814 View Post
I have a 2015 bmw 328i Xdrive. already on my 5TH axel and different mechanics have works on the my car and no one was able to help me. to the point the car is just parked in my garage. does any body knows the issues of this problem?
Do you have any mods to the front suspension?
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:48 PM   #46
glocknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Do you have any mods to the front suspension?
When I lowered my 2011 on Tein S techs I went through 3 axles. They lower the car too much. I replaced them with an Eibach pro kit and my broken axles went away.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2023, 06:38 AM   #47
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknick View Post
When I lowered my 2011 on Tein S techs I went through 3 axles. They lower the car too much. I replaced them with an Eibach pro kit and my broken axles went away.
Yes that would do it. The axle has 2 parts, the "receiver" that come off of the bearing support housing on the diff end and the axle that attaches to the hub and, going towards the diff, ends with the tripod bearing that slides into that "receiver". This allows the tripod bearing to move laterally when the car moves up and down in relation to the wheel. There is only so much lateral movement available before the tripod bearing falls out of the "receiver" and the lower you go the greater the angle between the axle coming from the hub to the receiver so the end of the tripod ends up closer to the end of the "receiver" so there is less lateral movement available before the tripod falls out.

I was actually thinking about having a custom axle made that was longer to allow the lower stance but I never did, a place in Cali was going to make me one.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #48
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Yes that would do it. The axle has 2 parts, the "receiver" that come off of the bearing support housing on the diff end and the axle that attaches to the hub and, going towards the diff, ends with the tripod bearing that slides into that "receiver". This allows the tripod bearing to move laterally when the car moves up and down in relation to the wheel. There is only so much lateral movement available before the tripod bearing falls out of the "receiver" and the lower you go the greater the angle between the axle coming from the hub to the receiver so the end of the tripod ends up closer to the end of the "receiver" so there is less lateral movement available before the tripod falls out.

I was actually thinking about having a custom axle made that was longer to allow the lower stance but I never did, a place in Cali was going to make me one.
I have a humming noise that no one can seem to figure out, including myself. I'm tired of throwing parts at it. I've posted on the F30 forums 2 or 3 times but haven't been able to get a reply. Figured I try here because I'm stumped.

I have a humming/howl/grinding/binding noise coming from the front end under my feet. It's progressively gotten worse. Sounds like something is not lubricated, like a failing bearing.

- It takes about a mile of driving to start making noise
- The noise does not really change with speed
- no vibration (which makes me believe it's not the front driveshaft)
- while accelerating, the noise goes away
- off gas the noise comes back. When braking it gets more pronounced ( this leads me to believe it has something to do with the geometry of the drivetrain due to being lowered)
- front diff fluid looked burned but there were no metal shavings in it that were alarming. Changed it a month later, and nothing at all. Looked new. Yes im using hypoid diff fluid.
- the noise is much more pronounced when I'm on my staggered setup (19" 437Ms), instead of square setup (stock 17s on runflats).

I've narrowed it down to the front diff, axle support bracket, an axle itself, or the front drive shaft itself however there is no play in the u joints.

My neighbor who was a BMW tech took it for a drive. He said its possible that my motor mounts or tranny mount may have failed, further increasing the distance between the hub and diff possibly causing it to bind. I'm also wondering if I simply have a failed bearing in the axle support bracket.

Does anyone know if there is a bearing inside the axle support bracket part# 31508653616?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0871

My car has 130k miles on it. Zero rust, driven moderately, and always garaged. It has a stage 2 engine and tranny tune. I do not beat on it at all though.
I've already replaced the front wheel bearings and the center support bearing on the rear driveshaft, as well as the guibo joints. Transfer case has 20k miles on it and was replaced under recall.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can't really find anything on failed front diffs in the F30. Similar setup in the E90s though.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 07:25 PM   #49
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a bearing inside the axle support bracket part# 31508653616?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0871
Yes there is. If there wasn't the axle at that point would be only supported by the rubber axle seal, which it can't support it.

The front drive shaft u-joints doesn't have to have play to be worn out. They can be binding. You will see orangish red powder like rust dust around the u-joint spider when it is binding. That was causing some vibration though in my case.
Appreciate 0