E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Official New England Chat Forum (#2)

07-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #485
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I've shipped a set and received a set, both with tires mounted. OEM wheels with RFTs are ~50lbs each to give you an idea of weight. My 162s came from a CA-based forum member and it was over $250 to ship all 4 via UPS Ground cross country. If you're shipping wheels and tires, find some thick cardboard and strap 1-2 layers to both sides of the wheel/tire with lots of packing tape - like a tire sandwich. Ship the 4 individually.

Tell

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #486
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I've shipped a set and received a set, both with tires mounted. OEM wheels with RFTs are ~50lbs each to give you an idea of weight. My 162s came from a CA-based forum member and it was over $250 to ship all 4 via UPS Ground cross country. If you're shipping wheels and tires, find some thick cardboard and strap 1-2 layers to both sides of the wheel/tire with lots of packing tape - like a tire sandwich. Ship the 4 individually.

Tell
Individually will cost me more than 2 per box. Why do you say individually?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #487
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjames View Post
Individually will cost me more than 2 per box. Why do you say individually?
I've never seen wheels with mounted tires shipped in boxes. Not sure where you could find a box sturdy enough to support 100lbs+ of bulky wheels/tires without using a pallet.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #488
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I've never seen wheels with mounted tires shipped in boxes. Not sure where you could find a box sturdy enough to support 100lbs+ of bulky wheels/tires without using a pallet.
I still have the boxes from when PYspeed shipped my setup to me. The shipping label says it was 110lbs and the box is 28x28x22. I'm hoping to reuse that box.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #489
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I got a Mustang that will kick your ass

Well I don't but my brother does. I'm visiting him in Boston and was just wondering where the good race spots are. He's in the south shore Boston area Which places have street legal racing etc and what times? Your help would be much appreciated.

(btw he's got an '11 5.0 with tune and exhaust. I beat him when he was still in Canada with my Dinan 335xi when he was still stock, but he's running a lot stronger now it seems.)
      08-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #490
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Don't think there's any street legal racing in New England. Your best bet is to head to New England Dragway in Epping, NH
http://newenglanddragway.com/home/index.php

It'll save you an expensive speeding ticket and 6 years of insurance premiums.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #491
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Thanks! (I meant 'street legal' as a class of drag/track racing not takin it to the streets. The motoring citizens of Boston are safe and the local constabulary needn't worry).
      08-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #492
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
Thanks! (I meant 'street legal' as a class of drag/track racing not takin it to the streets. The motoring citizens of Boston are safe and the local constabulary needn't worry).
that's cool New England Dragway would be a great place then, Wednesday night is the best time to go as you can get at least 10 races in. Fridays & weekends there's more people and waiting can take awhile.

here's my best run of the night; 13.66 @ 100 mph (stock)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #493
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Can anyone guess what this used to be?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #494
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
your angel lights blew?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #495
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

looks like either angels or fog melted

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #496
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
your angel lights blew?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeclueless View Post
looks like either angels or fog melted
Yep, it was my AEs. I'm guessing water got into the engine compartment which shorted them out causing the damage. I had a spare HID harness laying around and was able to transfer parts over. Making good use of my cold soldering gun lately. Needless to say, I'll be keeping a close eye on things in the coming weeks.

Another pic of the carnage.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #497
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

So did you DIY rig up HID angel eyes? I remember noticing you were running HID fogs at the coding meet, but didn't notice the angel eyes. How's are they in terms of daytime brightness? The current LED bulb solutions are too dim for me, but I'm also worried about HID angels being too bright at night for other drivers. How hard was the build? I've got some soldering experience, but it's all PCB stuff (Xbox 360s and the like).
      08-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #498
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
So did you DIY rig up HID angel eyes? I remember noticing you were running HID fogs at the coding meet, but didn't notice the angel eyes. How's are they in terms of daytime brightness? The current LED bulb solutions are too dim for me, but I'm also worried about HID angels being too bright at night for other drivers. How hard was the build? I've got some soldering experience, but it's all PCB stuff (Xbox 360s and the like).
I made my own kit using this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398208 My setup is slightly different but follows the same general principle.

In terms of brightness, it's very bright, no problems seeing it during the daytime. People complain about it being too bright at night but since my bulbs are in the higher K range and my headlights are tinted, they don't blind oncoming traffic. I personally wouldn't go HID AE if you don't planning on having some way to diffuse the light emitted, way too much glare.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #499
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
I made my own kit using this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398208 My setup is slightly different but follows the same general principle.

In terms of brightness, it's very bright, no problems seeing it during the daytime. People complain about it being too bright at night but since my bulbs are in the higher K range and my headlights are tinted, they don't blind oncoming traffic. I personally wouldn't go HID AE if you don't planning on having some way to diffuse the light emitted, way too much glare.
Wow, that's a lot easier than I was expecting. The night issue will be a problem for me since I'm not willing to tint (I want all the light output from my lowbeams as I can get) and would want a more pure white color. I imagine it's the same issue with the Alpine kit as well.

I'll have to look into seeing if there's a way to coat the bulb itself to reduce light output that won't harm the bulb. Ideally I could coat only one half of it for more even rings. Maybe look into setting up a circuit to dim them at night like the stock, although it'd probably require additional 15W ballasts to switch over to and maybe a microcontroller as well.

Oh, how's daytime brightness, by the way? Comparable to the LCI?
      08-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #500
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot easier than I was expecting. The night issue will be a problem for me since I'm not willing to tint (I want all the light output from my lowbeams as I can get) and would want a more pure white color. I imagine it's the same issue with the Alpine kit as well.

I'll have to look into seeing if there's a way to coat the bulb itself to reduce light output that won't harm the bulb. Ideally I could coat only one half of it for more even rings. Maybe look into setting up a circuit to dim them at night like the stock, although it'd probably require additional 15W ballasts to switch over to and maybe a microcontroller as well.

Oh, how's daytime brightness, by the way? Comparable to the LCI?
Coating the bulbs sound like a good idea, you'll need something that can withstand a lot of heat though. Those hid bulbs get HOT.

Daytime brightness is equal to or greater than the LCI for the inner rings, outer rings are slightly dimmer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #501
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
Coating the bulbs sound like a good idea, you'll need something that can withstand a lot of heat though. Those hid bulbs get HOT.

Daytime brightness is equal to or greater than the LCI for the inner rings, outer rings are slightly dimmer.
Good to hear about the brightness. I'll do some research on coating the HIDs - that's not the first time I've heard those things get toasty.

The Boston branch of BMW CCA is holding an event at F1 Outdoors on the 14th. Any of you guys gonna be there? I signed up a while ago so I don't know if there's still slots open, unfortunately.
      08-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #502
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Boston branch of BMW CCA is holding an event at F1 Outdoors on the 14th. Any of you guys gonna be there? I signed up a while ago so I don't know if there's still slots open, unfortunately.
I almost signed up for the F1 Outdoors meet, but I'm going to be away for that week (and the following week).

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #503
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]

John Hancock Rain by GQjai, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #504
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
I'm starting to hear a low drumming noise coming from the front driver side of my car when i go over small bumps on the road. what could that be from (i can't bring it to the dealer cuz I changed my suspension with H&R coilovers)?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #505
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
I'm starting to hear a low drumming noise coming from the front driver side of my car when i go over small bumps on the road. what could that be from (i can't bring it to the dealer cuz I changed my suspension with H&R coilovers)?
Worn out bump stop? How old is the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #506
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
it's about 2 years....i thought it would be sway bar endlinks
Appreciate 0