E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carly and FRM2/3 gamble

02-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
I shouldn't think so, it wouldn't be apparent unless trying to code something and as far as BMW are concerned, that is something a dealer would do.

In the wild they don't just fail as far as I'm aware, only when coding....
Yeah from what ive heard they don't just fail, you need to plug in and talk to it, but thats still pretty crappy that they just neck themselves.

One positive is that I have a new FRM3 with new software or coding what ever, so now when I unlock my car, the angel eyes and the tail light LED bars turn on, looks nice as you are approaching the car at night.
      02-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
Itsabdi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

am having the same issue. it gives me a warning and wants you to enter the code and before the coding happens.
it only happens when you code the FRM module. all the others work fine

my car is a bmw e92 2010 lci model and has never been coded before
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsabdi View Post
am having the same issue. it gives me a warning and wants you to enter the code and before the coding happens.
it only happens when you code the FRM module. all the others work fine

my car is a bmw e92 2010 lci model and has never been coded before
So how many of you have pushed forward past this warning and coded anyways? What was the result?

I recently purchased Carly, but have coded this car and others prior with BMW standard tools. I have coded the FRM module on this car once without issue, but this warning has me on the fence about doing it again. I'm not sure if BMW has extended the warranty for the FRM module in the UK, but they have here in the US to 8 years and 125,000 miles. Thinking about taking my chances.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #26
Itsabdi
Private First Class
Rep

i did not take the risk and backed out. got too scared lol. apparently it reads the FRM before coding so if it gives a warning then yes you have a fragile FRM. if you dont get the message then i assume your in the clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #27
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I have coded my FRM2(09 E92) and a few others with Carly and never received that message, very odd. No issues with bricking or killing a FRM for me yet(knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #28
Itsabdi
Private First Class
Rep

heard it only happens on FRM3. thats the one i got
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #29
dpopov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

To dig up this old thread...

Same here. I have e90 LCI and apparently my FRM module is “fragile” it gives me the message to proceed on my own risk, but I cannot do it.

I read in Carly support that : If the app classifies your FRM as “critical”, the probability that your FRM will break during the next few codings is very high (here - http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...rding-frm-ecu/ )

So, it turns out that there are 3 cases:

1. FRMs with no message at all
2. FRMs with message of warning
3. FRMs with “critical” message of warning.

My warning is not critical, but still I cannot go forward and do it

I am using the iPhone carly app + their WiFi adapter. Since I want to code my FRM so bad, I would probably look up ways to do it with INPA. There is no other way, I guess
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #30
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

You have to be careful flashing the FRM module and from what I understand it has nothing specifically with the way Carly codes but how to FRM holds a stable voltage while being read and coded, if it drops even slightly under a specific voltage it bricks from the bootloader and becomes unresponsive. In fact this is a quote from "sensible" detailing the specifics

"EEPROM damage through coding / programming due to voltage fluctuation resulting in IFH-0009 error and no communication via OBD"

Therefore even ISTA D or ISTA+ can cause this fluctuation.

If you do brick the module it can be flashed again but requires both a programmer and soldering directly to the FRM.

I managed to dig the thread out.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189062
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #31
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpopov View Post
To dig up this old thread...

Same here. I have e90 LCI and apparently my FRM module is “fragile” it gives me the message to proceed on my own risk, but I cannot do it.

I read in Carly support that : If the app classifies your FRM as “critical”, the probability that your FRM will break during the next few codings is very high (here - http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...rding-frm-ecu/ )

So, it turns out that there are 3 cases:

1. FRMs with no message at all
2. FRMs with message of warning
3. FRMs with “critical” message of warning.

My warning is not critical, but still I cannot go forward and do it

I am using the iPhone carly app + their WiFi adapter. Since I want to code my FRM so bad, I would probably look up ways to do it with INPA. There is no other way, I guess
If you insist on programming your FRM despite the warning I would suggest looking at a site like APKPURE or aptoid and find an old version of Carly, I believe it was only after the frm's being reported bricked that they then implemented a check and warning so one of the older versions wont have that check in place but may possibly not have the codes you where hoping to flash.. but I suppose you wont know until you try.

It may be worth reading my post above about the FRM, it will help you to understand how to revive a bricked frm and why they brick in the first place which is down to a voltage fluctuation which is why it is always heavily mentioned to use not only a battery charger but a very good one to ensure the voltage is solid throughout.

I've flashed mine twice but I don't recall getting a message about it being one with the known bug, even if it did I've had that thread posted above in my bookmarks to revive it if it did happen

If you go ahead and flash, don't worry if the lights flicker on and off after a flash it's normal. I thought my voltage dropped and I fluffed the module Haha
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #32
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Stock BMW 335xi

Has anyone done this with Android and Bluetooth? It seems like it's always been iPhone when it bricks, am I right?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #33
Virtual Factoid
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011 N52K AT

That bricking has nothing to do with the phone or the app. The problem is with the firmware (which is a type of low-level software) inside the FRM module. Not all FRM modules have this defect - the latest ones are all good i.e. if you buy a new one, you will never see this problem again, at least the one originating from the firmware defect. Carly is the only application that will warn you about it. Use anything else and you will brick it without knowing without warning.

There is another kind of FRM bricking that MrSweet1991 talked about above. That one happens due to voltage fluctuations, especially voltage dips below a threshold voltage while programming i.e. writing to the module (reading is fine). This can happen to any FRM, including a newly bought one but it would be entirely on you because you are supposed to maintain a healthy voltage level while writing to the module. Since FRM module programming is relatively quick, you could keep the car running while doing it. Keeping the car running ensures that the alternator will take care of maintaining a steady voltage at all times. Basically, the writing process gets interrupted due to the voltage dip and a microsecond of interruption/disconnect is enough to scramble up everything and brick it. This could also happen if your bluetooth/wifi signal drops out for any reason while in the middle of the writing process regardless of steady voltage.

There is a way to un-brick the first kind of bricking (the one Carly warns about). But it is not easy. It would help to have some kind of electronics background before going down that path. It involves soldering and programming a specific EPROM chip inside the FRM module back to factory specs.

Last edited by Virtual Factoid; 08-07-2019 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Added more detail
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #34
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Stock BMW 335xi

I tried, and it worked fine! Fortunately. Mine was a 2011 e90 335Xi N55. I know you mentioned that it just depends on the model and not what you're using, but for the record, I was on Bluetooth on Android when I did it. I do tend to have alternator voltage issues even while the car is running.
Appreciate 0