E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E93 Music upgrade

07-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

E93 Music upgrade

Looking for some advice. I'm saving the pennies to upgrade the music in my car. I'm not looking for anything incredible...but better than the OEM stuff.

Looking to install:
-Earthquake SWS subs in the floor (4ohm)
-Rainbow component speakers in the front doors and also the tweeters in the A frame
- and an amp!!
This is where I need a bit of help. The subs RMS is 150W each so i'm saying to myself I need an amp that can do 150w RMS to get the best out of them. But i need a 4 channel amp because I only really want to install 1 amp. The component speakers need 90W RMS so there in I'm looking for an amp that can push out these sorts of numbers.

I've been doing some research and stumbled across these 2 as viable options

alpine PDX F6 (4ohm @ 150W rms x 4) £490
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...f6_p-26442.htm

or

alpine PDX F4 (4ohm @ 100W rms x 4) £340
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...f4_p-26443.htm

So then?..
- are they good amps?
- is there anything else comparable out there for similar or better yet, less money. Size is an issue as its got to fit in the allocated space (yes would help if i knew the dimensions of the space - just realised this - tbc)
- do i need the 150W to get the best out of the subs or would the 100W be ok?
-is the saving of £140 in going for the smaller amp worth it or should I just get the bigger amp?
- a difficult one to answer I suppose as its all relative but how much music / sound / loudness is 600W of power? Over kill do you reckon? I'm not looking to be heard all round the corner but just decent clear in car music with a bit of a kick to the bass.
- would i need to upgrade my battery / alternator? If so what the biggest amp i can go for without having to change battery / alternator?
- any other general tips, suggestions advice on the install?

any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The PDX amps are notoriously underrated, so you would probably get a PDX F4 with around 115W - 140W actual watts per channel (but of course there are no no guarantees. So if I were you, I would try the F4 first. It will come with a birthsheet so you will know the power output of the amp before you hook it up.

Digital amps are very efficient and draw very little power from the electrical system. I have 1900W of digital amp power, and the electrical system does not show any negative impact whatsoever.
      07-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Victorae
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 | 2014 Tesla Model S

gaza, I'm looking to do the exact same thing as you are so I'm glad I stumbled across your thread.

As of now, I'm really confused as to what type of amp I need. Are you planning on installing a SECOND amp on top of the OEM purely to power the aftermarket speakers and SWS? If not, then what will power the OEM speakers?

And what numbers are important other than the channels and wattage on the amp? Sorry I'm a noob and totally confused
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
The PDX amps are notoriously underrated, so you would probably get a PDX F4 with around 115W - 140W actual watts per channel (but of course there are no no guarantees. So if I were you, I would try the F4 first. It will come with a birthsheet so you will know the power output of the amp before you hook it up.

Digital amps are very efficient and draw very little power from the electrical system. I have 1900W of digital amp power, and the electrical system does not show any negative impact whatsoever.
1900W and no up grade to your battery or amp?!...sounds good to me
thanks for the advice...didn't know about birth sheets
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorae View Post
gaza, I'm looking to do the exact same thing as you are so I'm glad I stumbled across your thread.

As of now, I'm really confused as to what type of amp I need. Are you planning on installing a SECOND amp on top of the OEM purely to power the aftermarket speakers and SWS? If not, then what will power the OEM speakers?

And what numbers are important other than the channels and wattage on the amp? Sorry I'm a noob and totally confused
Sorry mate but i'm probably just as confused as you! lol
I don't have an amp on my OEM spec so the amp I'm installing is to power all the speakers. I am changing the current OEM speakers with after market one. From the 4 channel amp, a channel to each sub and then a channel each for the front door speaker and tweeter on each side.

at a glance the RMS power is the important number. its the power output that the am can maintain constantly. as for the other numbers google their titles and have a read of what they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
I don't have an amp on my OEM spec so the amp I'm installing is to power all the speakers. I am changing the current OEM speakers with after market one. From the 4 channel amp, a channel to each sub and then a channel each for the front door speaker and tweeter on each side.

at a glance the RMS power is the important number. its the power output that the am can maintain constantly. as for the other numbers google their titles and have a read of what they do.
I think what you are stating above is correct for a 4 channel amp install. You can also power the rears directly from the head unit, with something like 7 watts, not much but at least you'll have something back there and will not cost you any extra.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Victorae
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 | 2014 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post

So our cars do not have an OEM amplifier installed?

And thanks for much for the info, this thread has been great help to me
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I think what you are stating above is correct for a 4 channel amp install. You can also power the rears directly from the head unit, with something like 7 watts, not much but at least you'll have something back there and will not cost you any extra.
Yeah thats the intention for the rears
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorae View Post
So our cars do not have an OEM amplifier installed?

And thanks for much for the info, this thread has been great help to me
Some come with a stock amp and some don't...think it depends on the music system originally specified eg business vs logic 7 etc
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI BMW stereo specs (description)

There are three different stereo systems in the US only the 2010 and early 2011 systems
have the lowest level stereo system listed with the others in the link below

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447

The only spec difference is the newer ones don't come with rear tweeters in the 2010 and 2011 cars
You need to identify which system you have before you can think about what kind of mods
will actually work with it.

The base or stereo system comes with no tweeters at all and no amp the others have amps
though the HI Fi amp is pretty weak

If you have the one without the amp you need a processor to flatten the output of the radio.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=graph

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445266

Last edited by ctuna; 07-27-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0