E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dampers & springs help please.

06-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
JonEdwards
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring Msport

Dampers & springs help please.

Sorry - I know this has been sort of covered before, but I still don't know the definitive answer!

I have an early, pre LCI E91 320D Msport. Currently on stock 17" wheels, but some 18s are planned for summer tyre usage. (Non RFT all the way round). 116k on the clock.

Rear dampers have started leaking, so I want to do all 4, and whilst I've got the front struts in bits, now would be the time to do springs if I want to change them.

So:
I want good ride comfort when cruising/pottering round town, but good control when having a thrash down some country lane.

Currently the set up is pretty crashy over small bumps at slow speed. (I live in Sheffield and a lot of the urban roads are like war zones). At speed, there's a degree too much roll, but more importantly it kicks back HARD on unseen bumps/ridges in the road, which mid corner can leave me needing a change of keks... I absolutely DON'T want a superstiff race track style ride. I guess think "Grand Tourer". Comfortable enough to cross a continent quickly, sporting enough to enjoy the mountain passes at the far end.

So, I'm thinking Eibach prokit springs (don't care about lowering much). Progressive wind should make them softer on the small stuff, then stiffer when being pushed into their travel.

Dampers. This is where I get confused. ParaPaul seems to like his Eibach Pro/Bilstein B4 combo, so this seems a good place to start. Comes in about £550 inc springs. Then I look at "suspension kits" and see the Bilstein B12 kit, which is the Eibach Pro springs + B6 dampers. Can get that for about £650. Worth the extra? I very much understand that springs and dampers have to work together, so the B12 idea seems good, but I don't want to end up with something that's too overtly racey to be driveable long distance.

I'm intrigued by Koni FSDs, but understand they don't last too long when used with sports springs (even stock ones). Also pushing the budget rather. What about Koni Yellows?

Lastly - the bumpstops are dead. Replace with OE parts, or is there something better out there?

I am very much on a budget, so if, practically speaking, the springs are unneccessary, that's cool. However I also want to do the job once, right, and then not have to worry about it again, so don't mind spending a bit more to get "The Right Thing" (tm)

Cheers!

Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
westsidee90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

hi bud ive just posed a review on BC coilovers that i fitted to a e60. for around 700 quid your also get new top mounts and the bump stops etc are included so work out cheaper as idealy you would replace the top mounts if your changing your whole suspension. With theses coilovers you can make the ride as soft or hard as you want etc.

Take a look could be another option for you

http://www.bccoilovers.com/index.php...roducts_id=234

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Hey Jon,

The Bilstein B4s will ride similar to standard sport shocks and they're inexpensive as you noted. The Eibach Pro-Kit seems to go well with them. I run Eibach springs in my car (well, AC Schnitzer but they are made by Eibach) and have had no issues. Eibach makes a high quality product.

For bumpstops, check out this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums//showthread.php?t=699650
      06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
mattmilsom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

I've just fitted the Bilstein B12 kit, with pro springs to my e90. I've done about 1000miles on them so far and think they're great.

I had stock SE suspension on them before and wanted to lower the car and improve the handling, I was prepared to suffer some decrease in comfort/ride quality but I think the ride is now significantly better than it was before.

The springs/dampers handle potholes and bumps in the road great, no sudden bumps or jerks and even with 5 people in car nobody was complaining of bumps in road at all (despite 3 being in their 70s and prone to complaining a lot!)

They will lower the car about 35-40mm from standard height and greatly reduce the body roll while cornering.

I am very pleased with the result and would definately recommend them. Here's my thread over on BMW Land.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...?f=36&t=136625
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEdwards View Post
...I'm thinking Eibach prokit springs (don't care about lowering much). Progressive wind should make them softer on the small stuff, then stiffer when being pushed into their travel.

Dampers. This is where I get confused. ParaPaul seems to like his Eibach Pro/Bilstein B4 combo, so this seems a good place to start. Comes in about £550 inc springs. Then I look at "suspension kits" and see the Bilstein B12 kit, which is the Eibach Pro springs + B6 dampers. Can get that for about £650. Worth the extra? I very much understand that springs and dampers have to work together, so the B12 idea seems good, but I don't want to end up with something that's too overtly racey to be driveable long distance.

I'm intrigued by Koni FSDs, but understand they don't last too long when used with sports springs (even stock ones). Also pushing the budget rather. What about Koni Yellows?

Lastly - the bumpstops are dead. Replace with OE parts, or is there something better out there?

I am very much on a budget, so if, practically speaking, the springs are unneccessary, that's cool. However I also want to do the job once, right, and then not have to worry about it again, so don't mind spending a bit more to get "The Right Thing" (tm)
Ello!

Yep, I'm thrilled with the Eibach/B4 combination, it's a night and day improvement over the MSport suspension - but they're the B4 Sport dampers, not the standard B4. Shorter than the standard ones and (I think) slightly stiffer. However, they're too short for the standard MSport springs, you'd need to lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmilsom View Post
I've just fitted the Bilstein B12 kit, with pro springs to my e90. I've done about 1000miles on them so far and think they're great.

I had stock SE suspension on them before and wanted to lower the car and improve the handling, I was prepared to suffer some decrease in comfort/ride quality but I think the ride is now significantly better than it was before.
B12 kit - I *think* it's the B8 dampers, not B6. The B6 are full length dampers again, the B8 are designed for lowering. Having had Eibach Pro Kit with B6 dampers on a previous car, I wouldn't do it again, they were much, much too firm for everyday driving - it was crashy and hard (much like the sock MSport setup )

I'll wait for YvesD to come back with his views on the Koni dampers - he has just fitted the FSDs with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Koni Yellows get good reviews by almost everyone who's used them, providing they're adjusted to pretty much the softest setting. Not sure how they match up price wise though.

Standard bump stops will be fine - but my car is 5 years old and mine were on the verge of disintegrating, sounds like yours are too. If you're buying new ones, you may as well get shorter ones while you're at it, the price is virtually the same.

HTH
      07-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
JonEdwards
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring Msport

Thanks all,

I think I'm going to copy Parapaul and go with the B4S/Pro kit option. Even so, it might have to be done bit by bit, having checked the state of my finances and other required expenditure (new double glazing is apparently more important than cars stuff!).

Paul - you don't happen to have the part number handy for the bumpstops do you (I can't quite read them off the pics in your reference thread)- as you guessed mine are pretty rough (one of the rears has broken in 2), so I'll definitely be changing them. Is the cover tube part of the bumpstop "kit" or is it a seperate item?

Cheers!

Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Z4 rear 3353 6770 350
E36 M3 front 3133 2225 377

Tubes on the rears are part of the bumpstop - they came ready assembled.

If you want, it looks like BMW Direct have relisted the set I bought on eBay. Item number 180883597361 at about £70 posted.
      07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I'll wait for YvesD to come back with his views on the Koni dampers - he has just fitted the FSDs with Eibach Pro-Kit springs.
Very nice.....
Appreciate 0