E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cool anti-Redlight Camera invention

11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Cool anti-Redlight Camera invention

This actually looks really cool. It claims to flash a bright light when a camera flash is sensed....

http://www.nophoto.com/
http://www.indiegogo.com/nophoto Kickstarter Page

I have to admit I'm a bit of a skeptic as the timing to sensing a flash and responding has to be faster than the camera shutter. I can also see this going off around police cars or ambulances with their bright flashing lights.... or a car coming around a bend in the dark.

Also the price is high and shipping hasn't started.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Why not just use the spray? A ten spot and you're done!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

How about don't run the red light in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Id rather just stop, saves me the worry if it doesnt work, and saves some lives
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Id rather just stop, saves me the worry if it doesnt work, and saves some lives
save lives? i really dislike when people like you make comments such as this, NOBODY here is talking about blowing through red lights, they're talking about just missing the light and getting hit with a fee. many times in NYC, you are caught in the middle waiting to take a left turn, or caught in the middle because there are a million cars going every which way, and you know damn well, that camera doesn't care whats going on.. you're in the box, you're done.

as for the product, not too sure, I feel like once the flash goes off on the street camera, they already have you, I mean unless they tested this, not sure..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Like me? Why do you think we need this then, if people would just do as required when the light turns yellow then there would be no need for red light cameras. Blame all you want, but its true. As people pack the intersection because its yellow they are all in the wrong and you know it. Its called safe driving and like speed cameras, they are a tool to deter people from doing so. As most of my family is LEO anything they put in place that creates safer drivers does not bother me in the least. Ive seen many situations where people minding their own business hit by someone not paying attention or trying to save 60 seconds for a light. Dont give me crap about it not saving lives unless your ready to start dragging out some stats. They work regardless of reason they do work. They create a ton of revenue as well for the businesses involved becuase people do not want to stop. As for them giving anyone a ticket regardless of circumstance that is not true at least here in Florida you get a video, as well the timing the light was yellow or red. If you were stuck in the intersection it will show in the video and your clear of charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

^^+1 Also, it is standard driving rules that you don't enter an intersection unless you are able to clear it in a timely manner. People who ignore this rule create gridlock and make traffic worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
In Illinois I've noticed they are reducing the yellow light cycle. One intersection, with a red light camera, the yellow was two seconds! Studies have shown red light cameras cause more accidents and they are just a revenue stream for the local municipality. Dont ask for evidence...Google it yourself. My old college friend is a State Rep and has been fighting these damn red light cameras for a few years.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
In Illinois I've noticed they are reducing the yellow light cycle. One intersection, with a red light camera, the yellow was two seconds! Studies have shown red light cameras cause more accidents and they are just a revenue stream for the local municipality. Dont ask for evidence...Google it yourself. My old college friend is a State Rep and has been fighting these damn red light cameras for a few years.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Like me? Why do you think we need this then, if people would just do as required when the light turns yellow then there would be no need for red light cameras. Blame all you want, but its true. As people pack the intersection because its yellow they are all in the wrong and you know it. Its called safe driving and like speed cameras, they are a tool to deter people from doing so. As most of my family is LEO anything they put in place that creates safer drivers does not bother me in the least. Ive seen many situations where people minding their own business hit by someone not paying attention or trying to save 60 seconds for a light. Dont give me crap about it not saving lives unless your ready to start dragging out some stats. They work regardless of reason they do work. They create a ton of revenue as well for the businesses involved becuase people do not want to stop. As for them giving anyone a ticket regardless of circumstance that is not true at least here in Florida you get a video, as well the timing the light was yellow or red. If you were stuck in the intersection it will show in the video and your clear of charge.
NY has no such caveats, NY Dept of Finance only wants money, hire a traffic lawyer, pay double ticket value on your 30 over speeding ticket and now its not a moving violation anymore, you have no points, they have a lot of money. And if that is your idea of a good way for a city to make revenue, you should move up here, they would love you but to each their own..

and here are some stats.. and a debate.. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...nder-scrutiny/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
^^+1 Also, it is standard driving rules that you don't enter an intersection unless you are able to clear it in a timely manner. People who ignore this rule create gridlock and make traffic worse.
Yes I understand that you're not supposed to jump in if you know you can't make it, but try making a left turn without entering the box and you won't make it anywhere, but I understand a lot of people are irrational with their decisions.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Of course none of us are talking about running red lights and risking lives- we all have a healthy dose of horse sense in us, don't we?
The trouble is these bastard traffic authority people get you a half-inch over the line, for example, or going through a yellow light, for example, with plenty of time.
That shit is a money maker and pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Take that down to DC, and try it out!

(There's a crazy way to not get a red light cam ticket, very secret but some people have been sharing this secret tip on the web: stop before the line before the light turns to red. I probably shouldn't be posting this secret tip, as people pay good money to get that kind of secret information.)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
NY has no such caveats, NY Dept of Finance only wants money, hire a traffic lawyer, pay double ticket value on your 30 over speeding ticket and now its not a moving violation anymore, you have no points, they have a lot of money. And if that is your idea of a good way for a city to make revenue, you should move up here, they would love you but to each their own..

and here are some stats.. and a debate.. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...nder-scrutiny/

Yes I understand that you're not supposed to jump in if you know you can't make it, but try making a left turn without entering the box and you won't make it anywhere, but I understand a lot of people are irrational with their decisions.
You are allowed to enter an intersection on green or yellow, and you are allowed to clear the intersection on red, if you entered on green or yellow.

Believe it or not, there are people who can't understand that. All a New Yorker has to do to experience that is drive 85 miles to the south. Suddenly, nobody alternate merges and they come to a complete stop on green behind the line, if they think they can't complete their turn on green. Stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Take that down to DC, and try it out!

(There's a crazy way to not get a red light cam ticket, very secret but some people have been sharing this secret tip on the web: stop before the line before the light turns to red. I probably shouldn't be posting this secret tip, as people pay good money to get that kind of secret information.)
Easier said than done sometimes John- you know that.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

It is possible for it to work.
The camera shutter has to be synced with the flash.
A sensor can detect and flash a strobe much faster than the shutter can close.
A fast shutter can be 1/1000 of a second but it also means that your sensor must be sensitive enough with an aperture large enough so you don't underexpose. The cells force an overexposure and the image gets blown.

Now, here in Ca. some jurisdictions play with the timing so as to force a red light hit even if you enter on a "stale green"/early yellow.

There is a "point of no return" where even if you see the light turn yellow, it would be unsafe to stop and either cause the person behind to stop abruptly or run into you OR get you stuck in the middle of the intersection. Some areas set the timing up so short to cause false positives on the red light cameras for revenue generation.

$350 is expensive because what it does is simply the function of a "salve" flash.
You could do a similar function with a camera slave flash if the photo detector was placed in the right location. A slave flash can be had for $35 or so. One tenth the price of this unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
It is possible for it to work.
The camera shutter has to be synced with the flash.
A sensor can detect and flash a strobe much faster than the shutter can close.
A fast shutter can be 1/1000 of a second but it also means that your sensor must be sensitive enough with an aperture large enough so you don't underexpose. The cells force an overexposure and the image gets blown.

Now, here in Ca. some jurisdictions play with the timing so as to force a red light hit even if you enter on a "stale green"/early yellow.

There is a "point of no return" where even if you see the light turn yellow, it would be unsafe to stop and either cause the person behind to stop abruptly or run into you OR get you stuck in the middle of the intersection. Some areas set the timing up so short to cause false positives on the red light cameras for revenue generation.

$350 is expensive because what it does is simply the function of a "salve" flash.
You could do a similar function with a camera slave flash if the photo detector was placed in the right location. A slave flash can be had for $35 or so. One tenth the price of this unit.
It's not complicated, either a person ran a red light, or they didn't. Yes, no. Black, white.

There are 3 pics on a summons--one, showing that the vehicle is behind the stop light, on RED. two, showing the vehicle proceeding through the intersection, on RED. three, a close-up of the vehicle's plate.

Why do people make it so complicated, as if running a red light is subject to interpretation?

If you cross the light on green, or yellow, you do not trigger the camera. If someone else triggers the camera and you're in the intersection, guess what? There isn't pic # 1 showing that the light was red, and you were behind the line.

In DC/MD this is a non-issue. You could conceivably spend $1200 in fines just going across town, if you didn't follow the law.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I believe it is Seattle that was planning on pulling them. Stupid drivers are causing more accidents slamming on the brakes for the red lights (yeh, they could just learn how to drive....)

They also noted that they weren't a revenue stream. It was costing more in issuing the fines, disputes, camera calibrations, etc than they received back in revenue.

Personally, I'm glad they are there. They just installed a new one on the offramp going to work. Normally, if the light was green, I'd cross the intersection at 50mph. The other day, say the light, thought "hmmm... wonder if that's a speed on green as well", so I slowed down to 30. Lucky I did, as some a$$ blew through his red light (which was red for ~20 seconds already) going the other way doing 50MPH. If I hadn't slowed, I'd been smeared across the intersection.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Those redlight cameras are bullshit. Of course nobody is advocating running red lights, but my grandmother received a ticket when making a right on red in a place where was allowed to turn. I guess the camera registered her car as going through or not yielding to the light. That being said, these cameras are inaccurate and give tickets to some of the safest drivers on the road (like my grandmother).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

This. Got my poor elderly mother too.
Bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I could use this! Sometimes I get stuck at a 6 minute redlight when im going to work at 5am, or coming home on the weekend at like 3am. and im just sitting there. only car on the street. I would never run a red light just because im in a hurry though!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I agree with "don't run red lights" and "don't drive like a jerk" in general, however, my perception (as someone who lives near DC) is that traffic cameras are not at all intended to make the roads any safer, they are designed as "gotcha" devices to punish people who are driving in a normal everyday manner e.g. by putting speed cameras on a road with artificially low speed limits or putting RLCs at intersections that have yellow intervals shorter than they ought to be (and not subjectively, I'm talking about official guidelines here.) So while I'm decidedly anti-driving like a douche, I'm also anti-camera enforcement as well.

Some light bedtime reading here - an old document but sadly things haven't changed much (the state of Virginia being the notable exception)

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/TickRe...sSiteHome.html
Appreciate 0