E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pros/Cons of owning a stick

02-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #67
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
just get the stick!!
my biggest regret in my 328 was buying it with the auto
. I did so because we get lots of seasonal traffic but those times are far fewer than the rest of the time you're out driving around...

i sold my 5 speed Porsche for this car, and i miss shifting dearly.

sure, paddles are fun, but its just not the same...
      02-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #68
Vroom vroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for a 335i

I doubt i can find a car to learn on. Is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #69
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom vroom View Post
Nope. You aren't going to cause any serious damage to the car or burn out a clutch in a week. The 335 is pretty easy to learn on. The CDV smooths shifts when you are less than perfect, the low end torque helps when you are in the wrong gear, and the hill assist removes the anxiety you will get about rolling when you are new to a manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #70
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
Nope. You aren't going to cause any serious damage to the car or burn out a clutch in a week. The 335 is pretty easy to learn on. The CDV smooths shifts when you are less than perfect, the low end torque helps when you are in the wrong gear, and the hill assist removes the anxiety you will get about rolling when you are new to a manual.
This. Definitely get the manual. Just practice when you first get the car and you'll be alright. This car is super easy to drive stick on, IMO.
      02-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #71
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Quote:
Please get the manual. you will learn with stalling in the first few days.

This was my first car and i had only had two sessions on driving stick in my cousin's nissan frontier. when i first got my car my dad had to drive it out of the lot but after practicing at a parking lot for a good half hour i was able to drive it home. i stalled a bunch of times within the first few days but after that i got used to it. I have NEVER regretted getting a stick car. I dont live in an area with too bad of traffic i live in west miramar and 80 percent of all my trips are highway ie(i75 and turnpike and the occasional i95). the only times i ever wish i was driving an automatic is when i am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that takes you an hour to drive for a mile. (that is very rare ive only had to drive through this kind of traffic like twice in three years around major accidents on the highway) anyway, i dont mind driving through stoplights its awesome. what i hate though, is driving forward and stopping 5 feet at a time.

bottom line: i have had my car for 3 years/62k miles and i have enjoyed every single day i had driven it. you wont regret getting a manual car.

Please get the manual because i think of it like this: I would rather drive a Jetta with a 5 speed manual than an automatic porsche (my two cents in terms of driving experience)

good luck
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #72
Vroom vroom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe
Quote:
Please get the manual. you will learn with stalling in the first few days.

This was my first car and i had only had two sessions on driving stick in my cousin's nissan frontier. when i first got my car my dad had to drive it out of the lot but after practicing at a parking lot for a good half hour i was able to drive it home. i stalled a bunch of times within the first few days but after that i got used to it. I have NEVER regretted getting a stick car. I dont live in an area with too bad of traffic i live in west miramar and 80 percent of all my trips are highway ie(i75 and turnpike and the occasional i95). the only times i ever wish i was driving an automatic is when i am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that takes you an hour to drive for a mile. (that is very rare ive only had to drive through this kind of traffic like twice in three years around major accidents on the highway) anyway, i dont mind driving through stoplights its awesome. what i hate though, is driving forward and stopping 5 feet at a time.

bottom line: i have had my car for 3 years/62k miles and i have enjoyed every single day i had driven it. you wont regret getting a manual car.

Please get the manual because i think of it like this: I would rather drive a Jetta with a 5 speed manual than an automatic porsche (my two cents in terms of driving experience)

good luck
Hahaha. Someone else will also have to drive my car to my house for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #73
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

pros - obvious
cons - even more obvious

u don't even know if u like it... if u downshift to 2nd accidentally... say goodbye to your engine... if u haven't learned yet, don't do it... u might hate it.
      02-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #74
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Lots of traffic.

Men dispise the thought of discomfort (cold weather, Dry skin, wrinkled linen, Sour Tres leches, and lack of hair products.

Get the Steptronic! You'll be happier.

Roads have no curves and no hills. Bridges don't count as hills.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #75
Vroom vroom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon
Lots of traffic.

Men dispise the thought of discomfort (cold weather, Dry skin, wrinkled linen, Sour Tres leches, and lack of hair products.

Get the Steptronic! You'll be happier.

Roads have no curves and no hills. Bridges don't count as hills.
Whatever you just said either confused me or made no sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #76
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Dude! stop this... take that deal becoz that car is legit! ... easy to learn how to drive stick... go to any rental car... rent the cheapest stick shift car they have for a week... It doesn't matter if it is a Kia or Ford Fiesta as long as it is a stick... drive it for a week and have fun... got it?!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #77
fallintotherhyme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M316 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
Dude! stop this... take that deal becoz that car is legit! ... easy to learn how to drive stick... go to any rental car... rent the cheapest stick shift car they have for a week... It doesn't matter if it is a Kia or Ford Fiesta as long as it is a stick... drive it for a week and have fun... got it?!
find me a rental car company that has a stick car please.

And OP i recommend finding SOMEONE who will let you practice. You need practice before driving your car off the lot. I had 3 hrs personally. You NEED practice. Knowing the concepts doesn't work unless you're gifted.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
Vroom vroom
Private First Class
Rep

If the guy hasnt sold it already i will crazylildude.. But I can bet money there isnt a single stick rental car anywhere down here... The only practice ill get is in my friends car. Im not exactly thrilled about hurting his car either, he replaced the clutch like 2 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #79
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
If the guy hasnt sold it already i will crazylildude.. But I can bet money there isnt a single stick rental car anywhere down here... The only practice ill get is in my friends car. Im not exactly thrilled about hurting his car either, he replaced the clutch like 2 days ago.
hahahaha! i'll see if i have time to search... geeez! your such a baby!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #80
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
i learned on a pick up truck. lots of pickup trucks are. maybe some friends or family has one you can try out on. it was a Ford F350 diesel. that poor truck. but once you get the hang of it in a few days you'll be fine.

or just have a friend drive your car off the lot to bring it home, then have at it. you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
      02-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #81
.fLip.
no more coupe :(
Rep
Drives: e90

get a stick and dont go back. all my cars have been stick for about the 12 years ive been driving. i had a few months where i drove an automatic volvo while my car was in the shop and boy was it boring lol.

i taught my self in a few minutes. once u learn the basics its just all about perfecting them.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #82
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

"Pros/Cons of owning a stick" thats the question reserved only for auto tran driver to ask. hardly see any stick driver come up with that. owning a 3 series without stick is a sin, you will be missing out so much fun. Just do it
      02-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #83
fallintotherhyme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M316 xi

Quote:
how can you hurt his car. just abstain from anything you saw in the video and you'll be fine. There's no reason a newbie should be burning or riding a clutch.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #84
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Don't panick and stay calm and you will be fine.
      02-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #85
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
i learned on a pick up truck. lots of pickup trucks are. maybe some friends or family has one you can try out on. it was a Ford F350 diesel. that poor truck. but once you get the hang of it in a few days you'll be fine.

or just have a friend drive your car off the lot to bring it home, then have at it. you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
This brings back memories. I learned stick on a 1979 F250. Once I had that down, I was good to drive any manual tranny car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #86
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

The only people who insist on stick shifts are jealous haters who can't afford an automatic,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #87
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The only people who insist on stick shifts are jealous haters who can't afford an automatic,

CA
Most absurd statement I've ever heard on this forum...

02-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #88
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Most absurd statement I've ever heard on this forum...

Agreed, Unless you were talking about DCT then their COULD be some truth. But I could care less about the quicker 0-60, lap times and would rather drive a manual.