E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2006 325I stock stereo change

02-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
stanger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

2006 325I stock stereo change

I know this topic has been brought up several times. i just want to share my recent experience with this.
Two weeks ago I took the car into a shop to start the process to remove my stock (Base System) with a new Kenwood deck. They had to install a can-busII module (not sure exact name or part number) along with the deck. This would allow the steering wheel controls to work (Not exactly the same as stock functions, but they work good for the functions they do now ie: Volume Up & Down, Station Up & Down, Source Change, Mute, Phone). Installing this can-busII part, also allows for updating the cars modules. The only thing that did not work and kept coming up with an error was the SOS system. to correct this, they had to mount the stock base stereo system in the trunk, with wires from the can-busII part back to the trunk for power and I think the main bus wire(s) and then they had to connect the MOST cable. After all this, everything works, well not error codes are shown. The SOS technically is hooked up, but there is no mic or speakers hooked up to the stock stereo which is where the SOS gets its feed from, but other than that, all is working. This just means that if you hit the SOS button, it will call them, I dont think I can hear or talk with them. I can live with this.
So, if you want an aftermarket system, it can be done, not cheap but it is possible.
PS Thanks to all that have provided me info on this journey.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You and I have been corresponding about this. I'm going to bring up some of the points that I made to you before.

For clarity for others reading this, you did not have a base System in 2006. You had a Professional CD player and a HiFi audio system.

I'm still totally unclear on why you keep saying that a PAC SWI-CAN "allows for updating the car's modules". Where did you get this idea? It may not interfere with updating the car's modules on its own (or it may, I dunno), but that has NOTHING to do with the BMW dealer computer "seeing" the head unit as present when it does its coding... the presence of the head unit on the CAN bus is the determining factor, not that they sold you a PAC SWI-CAN steering wheel control interface.

How do you know that no error codes are being thrown? Have you hooked it up to a code reader of some sort?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
im not sure what to make of this thread, i have an 06 325 that has the hifi system. i replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit myself. never once did i get any error codes flash on the dash, the only draw back i know of is that i have to put the factory unit back in when they need to code the system, like when i had the alarm activated. i did not opt for steering wheel controls, i dont find it enough of an inconvenient
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i just read another post about a different aftermarket head unit, so i guess these problems are all bmw assist related which i do not have.
Appreciate 0