E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Have to move to Texas. Should I drive down?

12-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #1
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

Have to move to Texas. Should I drive down?

Yes, I have to move from Vancouver to Houston for about a year The good thing is people on the e90 USA Southwestern regional lounge are very nice.

I have to take my car (please save the lecture about why I did not wait six months and just buy it there and I know I would have saved $10k plus - I just really really wanted my BMW for the summer - yes, I have become my sister ).

I am trying to decide between driving down or shipping the car. The thought of leaving my baby in the hands of others make me terrified. But I am not sure about driving down on summer tires (due to mountain passes etc). But if I get winter tires then I sure as hell wont need them in Houston and how the freak do I get my summer wheels and tires down there without costing a fortune in shipping

Does anyone on the Canada forum have experience driving to California, Vegas, or Texas at this time of year?

Any help would be much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ship it - it's riskier driving the car than shipping it!

It won't be the normal "you" driving, but a tired, unfamiliar-with-new-places, stressed you, and on top of that on bad weather.

Save yourself the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
UWE90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IboughtafreakingBMW! View Post
Yes, I have to move from Vancouver to Houston for about a year The good thing is people on the e90 USA Southwestern regional lounge are very nice.

I have to take my car (please save the lecture about why I did not wait six months and just buy it there and I know I would have saved $10k plus - I just really really wanted my BMW for the summer - yes, I have become my sister ).

I am trying to decide between driving down or shipping the car. The thought of leaving my baby in the hands of others make me terrified. But I am not sure about driving down on summer tires (due to mountain passes etc). But if I get winter tires then I sure as hell wont need them in Houston and how the freak do I get my summer wheels and tires down there without costing a fortune in shipping

Does anyone on the Canada forum have experience driving to California, Vegas, or Texas at this time of year?

Any help would be much appreciated...
Hmm I would say otherwise, and maybe that's why people make fun of me by putting a lot of mileage on my car. I've made the I-5 coast drive 3 times on this car by myself and I know every single portion of the freeway. However I've never driven to Texas since my home's in LA.

If you decide to drive the shortest route, which is like 2500 miles, you'll have to drive through Montana, head down to Utah, cross the Rockies in Colorado, and head down the Midwest to Texas. Even though I never drove in Colorado in this time of year, I wouldn't suggest you do this with summer tires.

Therefore, drive extra 300 miles and take the safer option, which is drive all the way down to LA on I-5 and head east on I-10. You'll only have to cross a mountain pass that might have snow on it at the Cali/Oregon border. If the weather is good few days before you make the drive, you'll have a good chance driving past the mountain pass without your chains. This option, by doing nonstop, would take you 42 hours on the freeway. Therefore, find a buddy and tell him to do the drive with you.

This is how I spread out the drive for the I-5 coast trip:

Seattle to Sacramento(because my friend's there and I can save on hotel cost) - 12 hours
Sacramento to LA - 6-7 hours

Sorry for a long reply but I hope the above information helps. Let me know if anything!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
sandecker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB M3 Ultimate DCT

If you do ship, visit this site first:
http://www.transportreviews.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Lightbulb A Road trip

Just follow this route:
http://************/3dznh3

Driving through snowy and mountainous Colorado is not that bad at all even with summer tires.
If I could do it with a Peterbilt, I don't see why you can't do it with a BMW.
FYI: Peterbilt 367 has 14 additional tires compare to your BMW 335i.
The trick is "Don't go too fast on sharp turns".
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Just follow this route:
http://************/3dznh3

Driving through snowy and mountainous Colorado is not that bad at all even with summer tires.
If I could do it with a Peterbilt, I don't see why you can't do it with a BMW.
FYI: Peterbilt 367 has 14 additional tires compare to your BMW 335i.
The trick is "Don't go too fast on sharp turns".
Are you being tongue in cheek?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

From UWE90
This is how I spread out the drive for the I-5 coast trip:
Seattle to Sacramento(because my friend's there and I can save on hotel cost) - 12 hours
Sacramento to LA - 6-7 hours
Sorry for a long reply but I hope the above information helps. Let me know if anything![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would likely be the route I would take. The whole thing is getting pretty expensive. I am such a tool for not holding my wad during the summer and just waiting and buying down there

Shipping cost is like $1700 from Seattle which is like double the cost to ship from Toronto to Vancouver.

Last edited by IboughtafreakingBMW!; 12-13-2007 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Was not clear
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Drive it. Stick to the coast until you get far enough south to avoid snow and cut across. Enjoy the trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

How about selling your car here and buying a new one down there at their lower pricing? When you return to Canada you can import your car back with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Drive it. Stick to the coast until you get far enough south to avoid snow and cut across. Enjoy the trip.
I'd carry out this plan as well. You'd go through so many major cities... see so much cool shit when driving down in the states.

I drove down to Key West, FL once in the winter... bestest road trip ever.... so much crap happened along the way too hahaha...

I'm still up in the air about cruising to vancouver... all it takes is just me waking up one morning and having a twisted thought lol
      12-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Quote:
totally....the drive along the oregon and cali coasts is phenomenal. It will take you a bit longer, but well worth the drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
VIDoug
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport,THP, PP

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I drove it in the opposite direction when we moved back to Canada -- Dallas to Victoria during October. Given that you will cross the Rockies I think snow is inevitable. At this time of year I wouldn't go without real snow tires and maybe even chains on hand just in case.

I think y'all will enjoy TX, I know we really enjoyed our time there. I don't think you will see any snow in Houston, but we saw snow (that stayed on the roads for a few days) and ice every winter in Dallas.
      09-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
HarlanStelly
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Search freight transportation company

Hello everyone. Probably off topic, but I really need your help. Faced such a problem as finding a trucking company. Someone may have used such companies recently. I need to move my old SUV. I plan in the next month. Hope for your quick answer and solutions to my question, thanks for the answer!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
JeanetteFodor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Search freight transportation company

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlanStelly View Post
Hello everyone. Probably off topic, but I really need your help. Faced such a problem as finding a trucking company. Someone may have used such companies recently. I need to move my old SUV. I plan in the next month. Hope for your quick answer and solutions to my question, thanks for the answer!
Hi, I searched thoroughly for trucking companies based on the reviews and recommendations of my acquaintances and decided to stop at this https://getcarrier.com/blog/car-shipping-cost/. They transported my SUV from Washington DC to California. Delivery went very well, quickly , cheap and most importantly without any incidents. My opinion on this company was very positive, I liked their professional approach to their clients, they work responsibly, quickly and efficiently at the current time of 2020, if in simple words they treat them as their own. super, I recommend to everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #16
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Drive it! Ship everything else. Travel light, enjoy the drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
AlexKoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteFodor View Post
Hi, I searched thoroughly for trucking companies based on the reviews and recommendations of my acquaintances and decided to stop at this https://getcarrier.com/blog/car-shipping-cost/. They transported my SUV from Washington DC to California. Delivery went very well, quickly , cheap and most importantly without any incidents. My opinion on this company was very positive, I liked their professional approach to their clients, they work responsibly, quickly and efficiently at the current time of 2020, if in simple words they treat them as their own. super, I recommend to everyone!
Wow, incredible that you were right there for the answer immediately! It's like the stars aligned. This thead is from 2007, can this please be closed?