E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Windshield question

01-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
SO__USA
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

Hey guys just have a quick question about replacing my windshield. The reason is its pitted to hell lol and I was wondering if anybody has replaced theirs and would share some tips! Definitely want OEM replacement is it possible through insurance and if so where should go/ do? Haha looking for guidance don\'t want to mess up the car!!!

Anything would help
      01-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Haven't had it replaced in my E90, but I've had good luck with JN Phillips in the past. I prefer to take the car to them - regardless of their marketing statements, it's easier to do a better job in a controlled environment compared to the back of a van on a 10 degree day.

Absolutely insist on OEM glass. They should know, but remind them about the rain sensing wipers as well.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

The JN Phillips replaced my windshield the last time. Before that I had executive glass do it. I made the mistake of having them come to my place of work. They ended up screwing things up that ended up causing paint work problems, the seal wasn't tight I guess. My body shop recommended JN Phillips. They did a good job and did it in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Shawn824
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I used Safelite Auto glass and had very good luck with them. They told me it was probably going to be an hour to do (when I brought it into the shop for my appointment) and it ended up only taking around 30 mins. New and clean window with perfect fitment.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

I also used JN Philips with good results (Pilkington glass, no leaks). Good luck, pitting is awful, you'll be glad you went through this.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
lazlow442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

Garage List
I had mine replaced by Safelite and they did a good job. They came to my house once to look at it and make sure they get the right replacement, then came a few days later, took the guy about 30 minutes. Plus they have a lifetime warranty on any glass they replace and they vac the inside of the car as well as clean all the glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

My insurance company told me that they won't pay for OEM and that it is the exact same glass with a BMW brand. Is this true? How much better is BMW glass REALLY?

I have a tiny chip and its out of the way enough that I'm choosing to live with it rather than lose the original glass, but if the new one will be just as good I'll do that once the weather warms up.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
lazlow442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

Garage List
To my knowledge BMW only uses two kinds on glass on their cars, Pilkington and Sekurit. You can check your windows and see what you have. You will only get the BMW logo on it if you get it replaced by your dealer(or whoever they outsource it to). If you go through another company like Safelite you can get the same glass but it won't have a BMW logo on it, it's also a lot cheaper which is why you insurance company wont pay for BMW to do it.

If it's just a tiny chip you should ask about just having them repair it, it will be a lot cheaper and you won't be able to tell anything ever happened to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

I just had mine replaced (rock chip in my line of vision so it wasn't a good candidate for repair). My car was at an autobody shop to fix some scratches and he does windshields as well. The shop recommended an OEM replacement. Insurance company (Arbella) resisted at first, but the shop did the haggling for me and insisted that with all the electronics that are associated with the windscreen OEM was necessary and the insurer agreed and coughed up the dough. Might be worth pressing the issue if you want OEM (brand is Pilkington, but has the BMW logo for whatever that's worth).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
I just had mine replaced (rock chip in my line of vision so it wasn't a good candidate for repair). My car was at an autobody shop to fix some scratches and he does windshields as well. The shop recommended an OEM replacement. Insurance company (Arbella) resisted at first, but the shop did the haggling for me and insisted that with all the electronics that are associated with the windscreen OEM was necessary and the insurer agreed and coughed up the dough. Might be worth pressing the issue if you want OEM (brand is Pilkington, but has the BMW logo for whatever that's worth).
No way I have Arbella. Got any more info on what you did to get them to replace it with the OEM glass?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
No way I have Arbella. Got any more info on what you did to get them to replace it with the OEM glass?
I really don't have any more info, the shop that did the install did the negotiating. When I brought it in I said that I had concerns about non-oem and the installer said he completely agreed and that he'd go to bat for me. Took about 2 days to get coverage, so I'm assuming they didn't readily agree. Interestingly, I learned that many insurers in MA don't handle the windshield claims themselves, but use a third party administrator. I don't know how that effects the criteria for OEM v. aftermarket replacement, but I bet the same company handles claims for many different insurers.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

GF just had the windshield replaced on her 325 by JN Philips, and they put Sekurit glass on without her asking for OEM (her previous replacement through another shop was PGR), though no BMW logo. Insurance paid 100%.
      02-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

I just had my original windshield replaced by JN Phillips in Burlington last week. I had a rock get kicked up by a truck and hit my windsheild causing a nice dark chip in my field of view. I called my insurance (Amica) and they took care of everything, asking me where I'd like to get it repaired and authorizing OEM glass replacement. JN Phillips did an excellent job in about 2 hours. They used Saint Gobain Sekurit glass identical to OEM but without the actual BMW logo. No issues with the rain sensor, rear view mirror, seals or anything. I'd highly recommend them for any glass replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
3_runner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I also used JN Phillips, I would however recommend non-oem glass. I got oem and small chips shortly after some highway driving. It is quite weak compared to other brands. Do a search and you'll see others with the same concerns.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
SO__USA
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

Used safelite and they worked with me and my insurance to get me OEM glass with the logo and could not be happier! Took about two hours on the phone but worth it. And how you ask... the OEM glass was cheaper then the insurance quote with replica so they covered the whole thing. Doing your hw will pay off and I also took your guys advice by bringing it to the shop, makes the most sense.
      04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
I got my windshield replaced 2 years ago with Safelite but it was during the winter. Best thing is try to wait til the summer or go into the shop. It was convenient they came to my work place and change the glass but the glue around the glass did not stick in some areas.
Appreciate 0