E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 2 Installed – Interesting Story

12-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #45
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
Is the Flashloader small enough to stow away in the car? How long does it take to switch maps?
The flashloader is very small, about the same size as the BT tool. As for the time to change maps, it takes just a press of the button and the map's changed, that's all.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      12-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #46
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
That's the exact mindset I have about my car and why I'm choosing GIAC and the same components to go into my car.

I do have a few questions for you though:
  • How long have you had the AR HFC downpipes installed? Have you seen any trouble codes with regard to secondary O2 sensors or catalytic efficiency? I'm planning to use the AR catted downpipes also and want to make sure they're just an "install and forget" affair.
  • I've had the downpipes installed for just about a week and a half now and for probably a couple hundred miles. I haven't seen any codes yet but I understand I could get a CEL somewhere down the road - I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I do get a CEL I'll probably end up getting an O2 sim but I'm really hoping I don't need to do that. We shall see...
Quote:
  • Do you have the secondary oil cooler connected on the CP-E FMIC and do you feel it has helped to improve oil temps? How complicated was the install?
  • Yes, I have the secondary oil cooler connected as well - the one that came with the unit. It's hard to tell how much it's helping but my oil temps have definitely been a bit lower than they were without it - by 10-15 degrees. I think it is helping. Also FYI - my car came with the stock oil cooler as well and I believe you need this to install the CP-E unit as the CPE oil cooler is meant to supplement the OEM oil cooler.
Quote:
  • How much power do you think you've left out by using the stock intake and a drop-in filter?
  • Well, good question. The GIAC gentleman I met when I was doing the flash told me that I'm leaving 10-12hp on the table without an intake and he also said (as did GIAC) that without an intake my turbos would have to work a bit harder (not exactly sure what that means). As such, I have an AFE intake on its way. I really didn't want to go with an aftermarket intake but I didn't like the sound of my turbos working harder. I'm not that concerned about the 10-12hp so I view that as an added bonus. The car seems to run fine to me without it, but hey, what do I know...
Quote:
  • Is the Flashloader small enough to stow away in the car? How long does it take to switch maps?
  • Yes - it fits in the glove box and it fits in the door pockets - it's smaller than a pack of cigarettes but it also has a cable attached to it that you plug into the OBD port - I'd say it's about 18" long or so. After you plug it in you press the "read" button which tells you what tune is currently in operation - about 2 seconds. After that you choose the one you'd like by pressing the corresponding button and it switches - about 1 second. You can also switch maps on the fly but it is not recommended for road safety reasons.

Last edited by I335; 12-25-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #47
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

you got your car flashed at East Coast European. those guys are the shit, i've been going to them for years since before they were even ECE.
      12-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by branabolic View Post
you got your car flashed at East Coast European. those guys are the shit, i've been going to them for years since before they were even ECE.
Yes, I did - and yes, good guys there. They're really and Audi shop and they do lots of GIAC flashes on Audis as well. I was the first BMW GIAC tune and Mark told me he's done several since I had my stage 1 flashed a bit more than a year ago. Mark literally spent hours trying to get the flash installed on my car and didn't charge me a dime extra. They're a young bunch of guys who work there (at least compared to me) but they're also very professional. I'd highly recommend them. Although they're almost an hour away from me the drive is just about all highway up route 95 - makes for a great drive home after I get my power injection so I don't mind going that far at all. In fact, as I'm sure you're aware, that section of 95 is rarely crowded so it makes for a perfect test drive on the way home for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Well, good question. The GIAC gentleman I met when I was doing the flash told me that I'm leaving 10-12hp on the table without an intake and he also said (as did GIAC) that without an intake my turbos would have to work a bit harder (not exactly sure what that means).
It means your turbos may soon take a crap. Our OEM turbos don't seem to be able to handle additional boost from these tunes very well, which is why I've been very apprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #50
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
It means your turbos may soon take a crap. Our OEM turbos don't seem to be able to handle additional boost from these tunes very well, which is why I've been very apprehensive.
What makes you say that? I haven't heard of too many stories of the turbos not being able to handle the boost from "these tunes" very well. Are you referring to the GIAC tunes specifically when you say "these tunes"?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #51
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
What makes you say that? I haven't heard of too many stories of the turbos not being able to handle the boost from "these tunes" very well. Are you referring to the GIAC tunes specifically when you say "these tunes"?
Just do a search. Mr.5 who posted on this thread had a GIAC stage 2 tune, and shortly afterwards, he replaced his turbos. Just ask him.
Appreciate 0