E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Passenger airbag light was intermittent, now on all the time

03-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Passenger airbag light was intermittent, now on all the time

I've had the passenger airbag light come and go, but now it's on all the time, and I'm getting the red airbag warning on the dash.

I wish this happened during the original warranty, or CPO warranty, but those expired on me a while ago now.

I forgot what the quote from the dealer was, but I think it was over $1000 to do, possibly approaching $2000.. I can't remember.. it was while I was already paying $1500 for the eccentric shaft sensor replacement, so I wasn't about to approve another costly repair.

Any experience with this outside of warranty? Any alternate locations to take it? I've been quoted around $500 for just the part alone, without install or code reset.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
I've had the passenger airbag light come and go, but now it's on all the time, and I'm getting the red airbag warning on the dash.

I wish this happened during the original warranty, or CPO warranty, but those expired on me a while ago now.

I forgot what the quote from the dealer was, but I think it was over $1000 to do, possibly approaching $2000.. I can't remember.. it was while I was already paying $1500 for the eccentric shaft sensor replacement, so I wasn't about to approve another costly repair.

Any experience with this outside of warranty? Any alternate locations to take it? I've been quoted around $500 for just the part alone, without install or code reset.
Most of the time a simple software update and reset of the error checks will fix this issue. The sensor contacts cleaned with some contact cleaner.
      03-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post
Most of the time a simple software update and reset of the error checks will fix this issue. The sensor contacts cleaned with some contact cleaner.
I unplugged it, contacts looked good.. plugged it back in. I'll see if it helps. I'm starting to consider the bypass module they sell on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
I unplugged it, contacts looked good.. plugged it back in. I'll see if it helps. I'm starting to consider the bypass module they sell on eBay.
I would recommend you to have the software updated. It will get rid of that error most of the time. You probably just have a buggy year of software loaded on the car, and haven't done updates since the car was last delivered. I don't recommend those eBay modules as it would be potentially unsafe.
      03-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post
I would recommend you to have the software updated. It will get rid of that error most of the time. You probably just have a buggy year of software loaded on the car, and haven't done updates since the car was last delivered. I don't recommend those eBay modules as it would be potentially unsafe.
Thanks for the advice. I actually have a recent software update on my car. When I had my alarm installed at the dealer last year, they had to do an entire update, as the tech said the software was very old.
Appreciate 0