E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lowered car haters

08-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #45
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwell3993 View Post
Let me get this straight, you "constantly have to slow down, change lanes, sideway speedbumps/ ramps, go around potholes." And you're wondering why people beep?
+1 OP answered his own question - he is an annoying pain in the ass that is in the way - when old people are honking at you, you really are the problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #46
Peteypab2133
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 GT500 on order / E90 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post

are you telling me that my car is too low? see attached.

Yes, WAY to low. The odd thing is, no one offers a nice stance for springs to begin with, so tired of the sagging ass look. its like having all your fat aunts in the back. tucking is cool on hella flush cars with SUPER DUPER OFFSETS and stretched tires, but on a 3 series it looks like it needs to be raised about 2 inches all around.

Oh and btw, its probably more beneficial to raise the car up, and put spacers on all four corners to widen the stance of the car, and add some really wide tires, rather than slamming it to attempt to eliminate the center of gravity.

2013 GT500 + 2006 E90
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #47
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Yes, WAY to low. The odd thing is, no one offers a nice stance for springs to begin with, so tired of the sagging ass look. its like having all your fat aunts in the back. tucking is cool on hella flush cars with SUPER DUPER OFFSETS and stretched tires, but on a 3 series it looks like it needs to be raised about 2 inches all around.

Oh and btw, its probably more beneficial to raise the car up, and put spacers on all four corners to widen the stance of the car, and add some really wide tires, rather than slamming it to attempt to eliminate the center of gravity.

but i have 19's with a +22 offset in the rear and a 245 tire on a 10 inch rim. how much more of a stretch and aggressive offset do you want?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #48
Blue Liquid
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

I'm on the BMW Performance Suspension, but whatever, I slow down too. Plus I don't want to damage my Advans. They were paving near me recently, and there was a big lip where the old ragged pavement met the newly paved, elevated portion. I slow way down here, and literally two days in a row I had the person behind me throwing their hands up in the air and muttering to themselves. They'll happily slam their wheels and bottom out their suspension without a thought, God forbid they slow down.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #49
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Dont mix things up...

People dont hate you because you got a super duper cool drop on your ride. They hate you because you are a public danger. Wether you drive a M5 or a Sunfire, if you're all over the road, i'll honk at ya...

And no; it REALLY doesnt have anything to do with your dropped suspension; its just a matter of public security and minimizing the chances that the guy behind you hits you in the rear because you have to do unusual moves because you dont want to damage anything.

We dont care about your wheels, your car or whatever... All we care about is our own safety; and obviously yours. Better get your "advan" wheels damaged then getting into a head on or whatever type of collision.

People just dont drive responsibly these days. They just care about their own stuff; THAT'S the real issue... Not our response to that.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #50
mcrazyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Garage List
08 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92justin View Post
Is it just me or does everyone HATE people who drive slammed cars. I constantly have to slow down, change lanes, sideway speedbumps/ ramps, go around potholes. I get horns daily, middle fingers, and angry old people. I guess some people just dont understand what we go through and mistake us for drunk drivers...
i think that you can mod your car any way you want to but think about this you said people hate you any time you have to stop to avoid any hole or speed bump on the road but i bet you hate people that drives at speed limit on the road and block your way lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #51
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Here is wjhat the wheel gap on a race prepared M3 look like.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #52
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
Rep
Drives: lci m-sport e90 n55

Low is a lifestyle some people hate it some love it
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #53
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92justin View Post
I constantly have to slow down, change lanes, sideway speedbumps/ ramps, go around potholes. I get horns daily, middle fingers, and angry old people. ...
I do not hate you for the way you drive - I find it unreasonable to hate people who drive the way condition of the road makes them. Some of the potholes we drive over every day challenge the potholes in the Borat's Kazakhstan. We have roads we deserve. To drive on them, all we need is love, and never mind lowered cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #54
e92justin
LCpl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

To the people questioning why we do this... obviously were not race car drivers. We do it for the looks. As for being a danger to other drivers. Slowing down on speed bumps and going sideways doesnt put anyone in danger. As a driver you should always keep your eyes on the road anyways, with that said all were asking is that you take caution in the intentions of other drivers and slow down which is what you should already be doing...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #55
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oblivious View Post
People don't hate lowered cars, they hate people who drive like assholes and inconvenience everyone else. And that usually comes with with lowered cars. People who swerve around every single stupid thing in the road because they have a car that they decided to lower are annoying. You can still have a lowered car and not drive like a complete douche.
Your funny
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #56
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liquid View Post
I'm on the BMW Performance Suspension, but whatever, I slow down too. Plus I don't want to damage my Advans. They were paving near me recently, and there was a big lip where the old ragged pavement met the newly paved, elevated portion. I slow way down here, and literally two days in a row I had the person behind me throwing their hands up in the air and muttering to themselves. They'll happily slam their wheels and bottom out their suspension without a thought, God forbid they slow down.
That's a completely different situation if you ask me. That's not a daily occurrence, so having to slow down for things like that is normal. My xi is stock and I still slowed down in an area where new pavement met old. It was about a 2 inch difference, but there was no way I was hitting that at anything over 20 mph. I did it once by accident at 45 mph (highway exit) and it felt down right terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #57
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
That's a completely different situation if you ask me. That's not a daily occurrence, so having to slow down for things like that is normal. My xi is stock and I still slowed down in an area where new pavement met old. It was about a 2 inch difference, but there was no way I was hitting that at anything over 20 mph. I did it once by accident at 45 mph (highway exit) and it felt down right terrible.
There is a huge difference between slowing down for a road hazard and going sideways over a speedbump or slowing to a crawl for a manhole cover.

Like every prudent driver with a nice car, I avoid road hazards as much as possible but there isn't a road in the DC area where I'd have to go sideways over a speedbump. That also requires more than one lane so you're also endangering oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #58
g_rant
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
if speed bumps scrape your car, its not road worthy.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #59
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

You all do realize that a Lotus, a Porsche, a Vette, a 350/370Z, etc are actually lower stock than use who do small drops?

So.... those cars are safety hazards because they can't go over speed bumps?

When my car was (well it's stock now too) stock, there is a huge gap in the front (rear is fine IMO)

the vert's have a 3.5 finger gap...

Even with that much of a gap, I had trouble clearing some (not all) speed bumps and needed to go at an angle.

So is my car, even stock, be kept off the road?
or is it because i don't want to scrap my bumper, or have the undercarriage hit?

I've gone over speed bumps at 1mph and my undercarriage still hit...
I realized I need to go over bumps at angles from then on (car was stock)

So... slammed... yeah it's too much and unsafe... but lowered.. I don't feel it's unsafe
a 3.5 finger gap really runs a car's overall look IMO

Nonetheless, lowered or not, one should try and avoid pot holes.
And so what if you make an angle over a speed bump or go over it at 1mph?
You're suppose to go over the bump as fast as you can so the people behind you are happy?
Doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #60
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Z06 stock ground clearance is 4.8", which is equal to a 335i that is lowered 0.7" in front. 350Z ground clearance is 4.7". My RX-8 also had 4.7" clearance.

These cars were designed to sit that low, so the manufacturers made sure there was nothing hanging down that could scrape. But BMW did not design the 335i to sit that low, and that's why it doesn't work.

Anyway, no one cares if you're willing to drive through hoops for a ridiculous cosmetic look. But if you slow people down, you're no better than the old man cruising below speed limit in the fast lane.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #61
A4rings
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Space 335i

Quote:
this might take a while.....

everyone hates people who drive slammed cars. PERIOD.

mine too...

well you must have a 4x4.

speed bumps shouldn't be that high so my car scrapes.

why do you need coilovers to race? my car's value hasn't changed a bit.

handling, adjustability, driver comfort..

i can keep up with traffic.
im sorry but i am the biggest proponent of slammed cars but your car looks broken.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #62
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

They cause Forest Fires

When they send sparks flying into the brush.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #63
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

i ride low, not slammed, already having some difficulty going bumps in the road, but coilovers helped a lot with the suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #64
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
this might take a while.....

everyone hates people who drive slammed cars. PERIOD.

mine too...

well you must have a 4x4.

speed bumps shouldn't be that high so my car scrapes.

why do you need coilovers to race? my car's value hasn't changed a bit.

handling, adjustability, driver comfort..

i can keep up with traffic.

Im sorry but your car looks retarded. There is a difference between lowered for a sporty profile and lowered to the point where your wheels are above your fender.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #65
Blue Liquid
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
They cause forest fires. When they send sparks flying into the brush.
haha
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #66
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

While lowering your car may be a concept for better handling you have to have some other things happening at the same time, none of which your likely to have; first you have to be up at speeds well over 80 or 100mph's to take advantage of aero effects, not happening, you have to have a very special shapes on the bottom of the car, not happening, and you have to have some very fancy aero pieces on rear to ensure air comes off car clean, not happening. So lowering car DOES NOTHING for you street guys.

HS
Appreciate 0