E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > REVIEW: Cleaning of intake valves with BMW walnut shell blasting tool

04-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Center of the biggest pulley on the front of the engine.

#3 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...39&hg=11&fg=18
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

I just finished my walnut blasting and the car runs so smooth again. The only downside is I didn't have enough power from the blaster to "JUST" do the cleaning with it. I broke down and scrubbed a little with carb cleaner. I used my blaster to do 80% of the work, but the last bit I couldn't get. I imagine the BMW tool is much better at getting in the tight spots.

I spent probably $300 in tools and equipment (can use them all for different jobs... compressor, air tools, guns, etc), but the BMW tool would have made it so much quicker.

As far as rotating the valves. Use a 22MM socket and turn the crank shaft. The most common method is accessing from underneath the car. I couldn't get enough space (or I was too lazy and gave up), so I just removed the entire fan which was extremely easy (1 torx bolt, an electrical clip, and a side clip). I was then given clear access to the crank shaft and could watch the valves as I rotated the engine.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Wow, nice write up!

where do they rent these blasters???
Not sure where. Was saying we might when we're done using it .
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #26
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Great write-up. I just had mine done at the dealer this week. Car is super smooth and throttle response is greatly approved. Mpg is up too. I think this is needed every 50k and should just become expected maintenance on the car over time. My car is super smooth now, it feels like when I first got the car.
      04-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #27
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Another great review from Alpina_B3_Lux. I can appreciate how long it would take to photograph and document each step. Best writeups on the forum by far.

Thanks for sharing... again.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
MattyKHZ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d MSport

Stumbled across this thread as I have a R56 Mini Cooper S and teh Direct Injection used has known issues with carbon build up.

Reading up on this it seems no-on e in the UK offers a walnut shell decoke service and it seems most garages prefer teh expensive head off approach.

I was thinking of getting this kit myself but did you not say you got teh last one available?

Was wondering if it was available elsewhere ie non BMW but your review states it is made by TVR Group and I am sure the mini instructions found on this site state that the manufacturer is WEZAG.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated. I would even conemplate driving to Luxembourg and back to get this done if you mechanic could work on a Mini????
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyKHZ View Post
Stumbled across this thread as I have a R56 Mini Cooper S and teh Direct Injection used has known issues with carbon build up.

Reading up on this it seems no-on e in the UK offers a walnut shell decoke service and it seems most garages prefer teh expensive head off approach.

I was thinking of getting this kit myself but did you not say you got teh last one available?

Was wondering if it was available elsewhere ie non BMW but your review states it is made by TVR Group and I am sure the mini instructions found on this site state that the manufacturer is WEZAG.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated. I would even conemplate driving to Luxembourg and back to get this done if you mechanic could work on a Mini????
Bought one last week from Tischer BMW here in the US, supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow. I think they are still available.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

We too ordered one last week and it's supposed to arrive this week at some point, so I think they're still out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
RWD Man
Dark Templar
Rep
Drives: E92

you rock man

subscribed for future reference
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

My car feels like they literally put a new engine in after I had mine cleaned last month. The pics the SA showed me were dirtier than any intake I've seen posted here yet. The SA wouldn't email me the pics though.

I'll be using top tier gas from here on out..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Awesome post and pictures! We've just purchased a BMW Walnut blaster too to do my Dad's 335i. Might look into renting the tool and/or helping others do it in the Pacific NW if all goes well .
Where you located
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #34
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
Where you located
hey, me first ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll post something up in the regional's once we've had a change to take it apart and do it on our vehicle. Going to do a write-up and possibly a video as well on doing it. The OP did a fantastic job on his write-up, and I think between the various entities we'll have people covered on the how-to .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #36
MattyKHZ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d MSport

I was told by my local Mini dealer that there is currently zero availability worldwide.

Maybe there are some within BMW or outside the BMW network.

If anyone knows of anywhere in Europe I can order from I would appreciate it.

And does this need a seperate compressor for air supply or does this have something built in?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
STONEY_M5
MAAD HEAD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M 2013 M5

Garage List
13 F10 M5  [0.00]
2010 X5M  [0.00]
07 335i  [9.26]
can u use just a compressor?
      05-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #38
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Great write-up. I just had mine done at the dealer this week. Car is super smooth and throttle response is greatly approved. Mpg is up too. I think this is needed every 50k and should just become expected maintenance on the car over time. My car is super smooth now, it feels like when I first got the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD Man View Post
you rock man

subscribed for future reference
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyKHZ View Post

Reading up on this it seems no-one in the UK offers a walnut shell decoke service and it seems most garages prefer teh expensive head off approach.

I think you should be able to get one of those machines from the US, I believe there's still some availability there although the shipping costs will of course be higher.

Otherwise, the system I have is also perfectly usable on a Mini as they're also direct injection. However, you'd need a different adapter (I don't have the BMW part no. for the Mini adapter) and I would have to ask my friend whether he would be interested in trying this out with a Mini. I would however think it's more practicable if you ask around in the UK forums as there also seem to be some guys who are going to do this with a simple blasting tool plus compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Another great review from Alpina_B3_Lux. I can appreciate how long it would take to photograph and document each step. Best writeups on the forum by far.

Thanks for sharing... again.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I'll post something up in the regional's once we've had a change to take it apart and do it on our vehicle. Going to do a write-up and possibly a video as well on doing it. The OP did a fantastic job on his write-up, and I think between the various entities we'll have people covered on the how-to .
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX TT3 View Post
can u use just a compressor?
What would you do with a compressor? It only compresses air. You need a blasting tool in order to be able to mix the compressed air with the granules and inject it into the intake ports.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #39
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Silly question but with all the pain involved in removing the manifold, I would want to clean the seat surfaces of the valve as well, not just the body of the valve. Seems to me like that seat area of the valve would be prone to carbon build-up from ventilation gases passing over it when the valve is open.

Downside with that is, the valve needs to be open when cleaning, which means that the granules end up inside the cylinder, and that's not a good thing.

Any thoughts on this...?
      11-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Silly question but with all the pain involved in removing the manifold, I would want to clean the seat surfaces of the valve as well, not just the body of the valve. Seems to me like that seat area of the valve would be prone to carbon build-up from ventilation gases passing over it when the valve is open.

Downside with that is, the valve needs to be open when cleaning, which means that the granules end up inside the cylinder, and that's not a good thing.

Any thoughts on this...?
With the walnut shell method that is not possible, as the valves need to be closed during the cleaning procedure as you mentioned yourself, in order to avoid that they get into the cylinders.

The only way I know of cleaning the underside of the valves as well is either (i) taking the head apart (which is obviously impracticable) or (ii) using dry ice instead of walnut shells as cleaning material. Then you can leave the valves open during the cleaning procedure. I recently heard that a garage in Munich is offering this service, and I think a good garage close to you could also set this up.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #41
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
using dry ice instead of walnut shells as cleaning material.
Explain???
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

IMO the walnut blast procedure will clean up all you could wish for. Anything else is really just asking for the unnecessary and unworthwhile. Most of the build up (99.9%) is effectively removed during the walnut clean. The rest on the other side of the valve seat is burnt in the standard combustion cycle. If you really want to get over the top with it, perhaps try some good induction cleaner to run through the motor while running (ie. BG cleaner, etc). Definitely do the standard walnut cleaning first though. Otherwise be very careful using any foreign objects around the valve seat... it is very import that it seals with the valve perfectly and if nicked or worn unnaturally in any way it can cause you much bigger problems than a very tiny amount of surface discoloration.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #43
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Explain???
Someone on the German forums is offering this right now. Apparently instead of using walnut shell granules, they are using dry ice which does not leave any residue. Therefor the valves can stay open during the cleaning process and the back side of the valve can also be cleaned.

I agree, however, that almost all of the carbonised material is removed with the walnut shell method and that the dry ice method will in practice not produce noticeable better results.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #44
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

I started getting really bad misfires and extreme shaking in my N54 after about 43k miles.

Ended up getting my valves cleaned at Bulletmotorworks.com, I would highly recommend them to anyone in the SoCal area. These guys are extremely knowledge about the cars they work and and very helpful.

Here are some before and after...