E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Back from Portimao - UNBELIEVABLE TRACK!!!!!

10-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Back from Portimao - UNBELIEVABLE TRACK!!!!!

A few vids from last weekend at Portimao with the bikes - sorry about the super shitty quality (bloody useless YouTube) - that said they were shot from my mates iPhone so what do you expect. I have some amazing onboard footage from my GoPro which i will try and edit down and try and upload here in small chunks.

Overall the weekend was awesome - No Limits were professional, helpful and supportive throughout - met some great new friends - track was everything and more - bike performed faultlessly and dare i say it i rode better than i ever have!! It was super scary in the wet on the Friday but when it dried out the Sat and Sun sessions were pretty much perfect track conditions.

Can you believe they let us all go out on the track in our bloody hire cars on the Friday!!!!?? The rain was so bad and heavy that they had to cancel the sessions but to keep us all happy they said we could go round in cars!! It was utter carnage but so much fun - can you imaging that ever happening at a UK circuit!!!?? We all spanked the arses out of our silly little hire cars and my lasting memory will be driving 8 abreast down the start/finish straight in our Fiat Panda trying to out break a VW Transporter van on my inside!!!!! Hilarious!

The best bit about the trip other than the phenomenal track was the fact you could blast around flat out all day in your leathers all hot and sweaty but then at the end of the day as the sun was setting drive 15 mins back to a hotel on the beach and either dive straight into the sea or into the hotels pool and have a beer and chat with your mates about how amazing the day was!!! My idea of a perfect day!!!

Lap time wise in the dry i was being timed at around 2 mins 7 secs initially - but i started out on brand new unscrubbed slicks and brand new brake pads that needed bedding in!! So i knew i had more in the tank. Then i was fortunate enough to be introduced to Steve Carmichael who is currently doing very well in the Portugese Superbike Championship and he told me he would get me down to 2 mins flat by the end of Sunday - i actually managed to get my best lap time down to 2 mins 1 sec which i was over the moon with and is a pretty damn respectable time considering i'd never ridden track before and i rarely got a "clean" lap in as it was a fully subscribed event and there were a few numptys out there at times.

Cant wait to go back next year. I think we are booking Jerez and Monza next and maybe looking at Almeria for March.

http://youtu.be/vqGidJIbFxg

http://youtu.be/Yvh--ivqNJY

http://youtu.be/yaPiAUh09SY

http://youtu.be/DfQHrSwkCZQ

http://youtu.be/9b5Ac82vQc0
Attached Images

10-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Waa waa woo. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
LOL - thanks fella - hope you are well and the family are good? We really MUST have a catchup and a cuppa soon - ive nearly forgotten how ugly you are!!! Got loads to tell you and a new business venture to tell you all about too! Just about to head off with Louisa and the tiddlers to a very soggy Woburn Abbey but lets speak soon.
      11-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

No 7. Barry Sheene fan?
      11-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Barry Sheene was a legend.
      11-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hi Steve, pics look good. I'll watch the vids a little later. It is a lovely track, be nice if the F1 circus could pay it a visit.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
How goes it stranger!!? Hope you are well - sorry for not being in touch for a while, just been so hectic with the new business - tell all when i next see you. Portimao is an epic track and due to its width and facilities i think it would be a great port of call for the F1 - i know the WSB have a great time there but i appreciate bikes and cars are a whole different kettle of fish. And as for the video clips i attached above, don't worry kiddo, they are so short they won't take much time to watch - blink and you miss me if you know what i mean!!! I will try and edit down some of my GoPro footage to give you a taste of how sublime and flowing the circuit truly is from an on-board perspective. Anyway, lets have a telephone catchup soon and love to Chloe and the pets!! x
      11-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina F31 B3

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Steve,

You look a bit under the weather in that last pic?!

Would love to do Portimao sometime. Think my mate Arron was out there on his ZX10R, but not 110% sure. 2 mins is very respectable too. Happy Days.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
Steve,

You look a bit under the weather in that last pic?!

Would love to do Portimao sometime. Think my mate Arron was out there on his ZX10R, but not 110% sure. 2 mins is very respectable too. Happy Days.

Matt
LOL - trust me i was very glad to get all that lot off after 2 scorching hot days!! There were quite a few new shape ZX10's out there, another popular bike, there were 2 Tom Sykes replicas going very well but i didn't get a chance to speak to them. Hope you and the family are all well Matt, take care buddy.
      11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Here is a quick onboard video shot with my friends rear facing GoPro - he wanted me to follow him and take a look at his lines - after following him for about 4 laps he then followed me for a couple and then we went back to the pits for a chat - we managed to shave around 8 secs off his lap times and get him down to about a 2 min 7 sec lap which was respectable and he was chuffed - he rides an RSV4 APRC with a stupidly loud exhaust!!!

http://vimeo.com/78524668
      11-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Good times!
I'm hopefully off to Portimao next year, did Almeria this year and last so looking for a change. Everyone says it's epic!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody80 View Post
Good times!
I'm hopefully off to Portimao next year, did Almeria this year and last so looking for a change. Everyone says it's epic!
Its very rare that a track lives up to all the hype for me but this one did and then some!! We are considering doing Almeria next year. But Jerez is next on the list!!
      11-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
Its very rare that a track lives up to all the hype for me but this one did and then some!! We are considering doing Almeria next year. But Jerez is next on the list!!
Almeria is worth a look, have done it two years on the trot now and it's pretty much guaranteed sunshine.

Jerez is on my list as well. It's between Portimao and Jerez for me next year. There's a group of about 10 of us looking at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Almeria is worth a look, have done it two years on the trot now and it's pretty much guaranteed sunshine.

Jerez is on my list as well. It's between Portimao and Jerez for me next year. There's a group of about 10 of us looking at the moment.
What bike do you ride fella? Which group do you normally ride in on track days?
      11-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
What bike do you ride fella? Which group do you normally ride in on track days?
Currently got a KTM Super Duke R, have had the last 2 models of ZX6R and fancied a change. Partly to slow down (top end) on the road but ironically have only used 1 tank of fuel on the road this year but done well over 1000 miles on track! Love the bike though, brilliant in the corners and loads of grunt coming out of the bends.

Usually ride in inters but think I could take the plunge on fast next year without getting in the way! How about you?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Usually ride in inters but think I could take the plunge on fast next year without getting in the way! How about you?
I love the Super Dukes - great bikes. Not the sort of bike for me though, i prefer the "race" bike look and feel but each to their own and great that you hold your own in the Inters group. I tend to always go in the fast/advanced group and play around the top end of that group depending upon the track. But if i go with a smaller group of mates who ride in the Inters then i will sometimes go in their group because that way we can have some fun and i can do some filming with my GoPro for them. Nowadays for me it more about having fun with my mates than it is about setting the new track lap record!!!
      11-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A few pics from Portimao, care of Mr Peter Wileman. Shame i had to remove the belly pan, that cat looks so damn ugly, but i had cranked it over too far in one of the earlier sessions and one of the corners scraped the tarmac and ripped a bolt out so we felt safest option was to remove altogether, hey ho. That said I'm loving the shots of me following Steve Carmichael around the hairpin, what a legend that man was!!
Attached Images