E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i drift?

07-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #45
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Bimmer loyalist already said this... but I feel like it should be said again (with my own twist).

Seems like a typical "bmw is too good to do anything but cruise around and generate envy" type comment.

You might as well have told him to 'rice shit up somewhere else'.

Seems like an appropriate reply to me.

skateDFWe92 had a reply to the OP which had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OPs QUESTION.

So please : if you go off topic, don't expect kindness from the OP. Get over yourselves.

Remember : People think BMW drivers are a bunch of 'better than thou' types that look down on other car makes.

skateDFWe92's reply reads like : "bmw's are too good to drift"

You sure treetirdy5 sounds like the 'stereotype generating' poster in this thread?

Yes. treetirdy5 should just try it.

skateDFWe92, I don't believe you.

You think 50k is a lot of money. If it's expensive to you, then I *really* think you replied with a "BMW is too good to rice on" attitude.
If you drove a Ferrari and the BMW was your beater, I really doubt you'd have said anything about buying a 240.

P.S.
skateDFWe92 << nothing personal. Just have to "spin" this the other way, as I can't stand the "treetirdy5 gangbang bandwagon bashing".

-------------------------------

treetirdy5 << Yes you can drift it.

With stability/traction off :
As you rotate faster, the weight transfer will spin out the inner wheel. As a result, your inner wheel will be useless, and your outer wheel will grip (with no torque - limp) and you will stop rotating. So you can expect a ~180 or so rotation.

With stability/traction reduced 1 click :
You can keep your drift going 360, HOWEVER, the stability control will be very jerky as it will be fighting you for control. It will actively try to prevent you from drifting.

You are best off with an LSD upgrade and traction/stability off.

-scheherazade
Job well done. I was thinking the exact thing (all those things).

Douchebags FTL. Anyway, the other day I was making a left at a 3-way intersection and no other cars were around, so I sapped the throttle at the apex. Easily got sideways, even on the hot CA pavement with 2 friends in my car (E92 335i). Also, it's an AT.

Get out there and try it bro. You only live once, and it's not like this is a 7 series. It's a 335i that comes stock with 306 HP.. don't drive it like a grandma.
      07-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaywood View Post
Douchebags FTL. Anyway, the other day I was making a left at a 3-way intersection and no other cars were around, so I sapped the throttle at the apex. Easily got sideways, even on the hot CA pavement with 2 friends in my car (E92 335i). Also, it's an AT.
When I had my evo... if it was past 1am, and no one around... I don't think there was a left turn that didn't involve gobs of oversteer :P

Unfortunately my 335 clutch isn't holding up like the evo's did. I slipped it a 4k about 4 times, and 4.5k once... and it was glazed over. I've been driving it normal to get it to break-in again

I'm gonna have to keep it to 3k or less, which is really close to 'too little to break loose with awd'. I have to rock the steering to make it happen.

I'm looking forward to a 2 or 3 plate clutch so I can slip it a 4.5k without glazing over.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #47
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
nice drifting OP
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #48
treetirdy5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 MTech 135 & 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaywood View Post
Job well done. I was thinking the exact thing (all those things).

Get out there and try it bro. You only live once, and it's not like this is a 7 series. It's a 335i that comes stock with 306 HP.. don't drive it like a grandma.
I did do it... check the video a few posts back...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #49
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #50
skate_E92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetirdy5 View Post
I know the car is not intended for this but the more i think about it, it seems like a very nice platform to create a drift car... I was just wondering how you all felt about how well the open diff would work for sliding the car. I know a limited slip is the best.. but for starting out... how well do you think it would work... hell would it even get sideways??? let me know what you think

Quote:
Bimmer loyalist already said this... but I feel like it should be said again (with my own twist).

Seems like a typical "bmw is too good to do anything but cruise around and generate envy" type comment.

skateDFWe92 had a reply to the OP which had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OPs QUESTION.

So please : if you go off topic, don't expect kindness from the OP. Get over yourselves.

Remember : People think BMW drivers are a bunch of 'better than thou' types that look down on other car makes.

You sure treetirdy5 sounds like the 'stereotype generating' poster in this thread?

You think 50k is a lot of money. If it's expensive to you, then I *really* think you replied with a "BMW is too good to rice on" attitude.
If you drove a Ferrari and the BMW was your beater, I really doubt you'd have said anything about buying a 240.

P.S.
skateDFWe92 << nothing personal. Just have to "spin" this the other way, as I can't stand the "treetirdy5 gangbang bandwagon bashing"."

i did not gang up or rip on _treetirdy5_ and i apologize if i offended him, but if you read his first post he clearly stated "it seems like a very nice platform to create a drift car" so how did my reply have nothing to do with the thread??? and to ask "hell can it even get sideways?" is just lame.. you can get sideways in a dodge neon if you really want to! not once did i bring up any "rice" statements??? our car has mitsubishi turbochargers for christ sake! and i never gave off the impression "bmw's are to good to drift"??? i try to hit some powerslides on turns and go out for th occasional parking lot burnout's> why else would someone want a RWD car? so with all that being said, you _ scheherazade_ seem to be the "stereotype generating poster"............. oh ya, treetirdy5 congrats on the successful donuts, all you had to do was go find out for yourself. you already had suspension mods and such, im surprised you didn't wanna find out as soon as the car was "broke in" (i know i did). i apologize again i just didnt take kindly to your attitude towards my post. it was just a suggestion.
      08-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #51
UnknownSpiritX5
Drive till Infinity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i (E90), 2020 X5 40i (G0

THAT WAS AMAZING (the video)

Looks like you weren't just a noob asking nooby questions (unlike me)
      10-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #52
AndyDaBoss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 08' E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
great job

i for one cannot get my 08' 335i sideways, its a shame just got an injen intake in it too
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #53
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post

P.S.
skateDFWe92 << nothing personal. Just have to "spin" this the other way, as I can't stand the "treetirdy5 gangbang bandwagon bashing".

-------------------------------

treetirdy5 << Yes you can drift it.

With stability/traction off : (Edit : With a pre-e-diff software 335 (before 08), or an XI which has no e-diff)
As you rotate faster, the weight transfer will spin out the inner wheel. As a result, your inner wheel will be useless, and your outer wheel will grip (with no torque - limp) and you will stop rotating. So you can expect a ~180 or so rotation.

(Edit : If you have the e-diff software, you can do decent drifts. I mention this in my next post.)

With stability/traction reduced 1 click :
You can keep your drift going 360, HOWEVER, the stability control will be very jerky as it will be fighting you for control. It will actively try to prevent you from drifting.

You are best off with an LSD upgrade and traction/stability off.

-scheherazade
awesome post..couldn't read it all, cuss some of it was good material and just made me want to

+1
      10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #54
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDaBoss View Post
i for one cannot get my 08' 335i sideways, its a shame just got an injen intake in it too
sure you can. You just aren't trying hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #55
gaberoll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
I know the car is not intended for this but the more i think about it, it seems like a very nice platform to create a drift car... I was just wondering how you all felt about how well the open diff would work for sliding the car. I know a limited slip is the best.. but for starting out... how well do you think it would work... hell would it even get sideways??? let me know what you think
Quote:
i am not looking for a drift car ...I asked a question... thanks for your worthless statement
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #56
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDaBoss View Post
Press and hold DTC for 5 seconds, turn wheel, press gas pedal down, try and maintain your line Just curious...what does your intake have anything to do with it? I can do donuts all day in a parking lot, even with my AT.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #57
AndyDaBoss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 08' E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Press and hold DTC for 5 seconds, turn wheel, press gas pedal down, try and maintain your line Just curious...what does your intake have anything to do with it? I can do donuts all day in a parking lot, even with my AT.
just wanted to add that, why not admire a new mod to your
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #58
aj555
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW xDrive35i

Garage List
(already posted, but still a decent video)

335 drifting in snow

(Wife's Daily Driver) 2000 BMW 328ci E46 - less than 90k miles

(Gone) 2007 BMW 335i E90
Appreciate 0