E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > @ what temperatures will our motors warp at?

02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

@ what temperatures will our motors warp at?

I've been trying to understand lately that our motors are built with magnesium instead of full aluminum like the 335i or older models. Why is that? Well because of their mistakes/cheapness our motors will warp with extreme forced inductions. (i.e. supercharger, nitro us oxide, turbo etc.) I just wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of at what temps will out motors melt or warp? I hear a few companies coming out with superchargers for n51/52 so i'm planning on investing on a meth/water injection to keep the air temperature cooled to low enough so it will make a difference in hp and keep the motor from being destroyed from excessive heat. Any comments?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Our motors weren't cheaply made. They are made to be extremely light. Finally when they made the N52 Im fairly positive they were already in the works for the n54 engines. Why make two engines made for the same purpose.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

N52 was built to be light, not cheaply made. I would think the mangesium/aluminum alloy used and all the technology into it was more expensive to do. They dont manufacture any NA engine today or ever with the idea it will be good for tuners to boost them.

Some are stronger built, but weight more

2jz- Built for boost, heavy iron block, tuners discovered it can handle way more boost.

n54- lightweight, built for boost, maxing out around 4-500 hp range.

N52 is very technologically advanced actually.

Melting points
Mg- 1202 F
Al- 1220 F
Fe- 2795 F

Aluminum and Magnesium are basically the same melting point so your Op is invalid.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
N52 was built to be light, not cheaply made. I would think the mangesium/aluminum alloy used and all the technology into it was more expensive to do. They dont manufacture any NA engine today or ever with the idea it will be good for tuners to boost them.

Some are stronger built, but weight more

2jz- Built for boost, heavy iron block, tuners discovered it can handle way more boost.

n54- lightweight, built for boost, maxing out around 4-500 hp range.

N52 is very technologically advanced actually.

Melting points
Mg- 1202 F
Al- 1220 F
Fe- 2795 F

Aluminum and Magnesium are basically the same melting point so your Op is invalid.
oh thanks for clarifying, I therefore retract my previous statement. i heard from the dealership that they were built with magnesium and from what I heard before is Mg has a lower melting point than Al. So that was mainly my most important concern.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
Our motors weren't cheaply made. They are made to be extremely light. Finally when they made the N52 Im fairly positive they were already in the works for the n54 engines. Why make two engines made for the same purpose.
that's true, thanks for enlightening me
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

I've observed coolant temp of 115C at my engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

It was an honest mistake, should've done a little more research before I posted, the reason I though that our motors will melt/warp is because of science projects with burning magnesium. Being that magnesium burns with a combustable property, I was assuming that boosting a n52 would destroy the motor. Btw do you know what the s65 m3 motor is built with? And the s85 m5/6 as well? And do you think meth and water injection would be enough to keep the engine cool?
Quote:
I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
I've observed coolant temp of 115C at my engine.
Is that on average? 200+ degrees faranheit doesn't sound that good for your motor
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Boosting and properly cooling your motor WILL cost you more than trading up to a motor designed by BMW for handling boost. Not only that, but if you upgrade to the 335 you will retain better resale value than a highly modified 328 etc.

As much as I want my 325i to be boosted, it makes NO sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
It was an honest mistake, should've done a little more research before I posted, the reason I though that our motors will melt/warp is because of science projects with burning magnesium. Being that magnesium burns with a combustable property, I was assuming that boosting a n52 would destroy the motor. Btw do you know what the s65 m3 motor is built with? And the s85 m5/6 as well? And do you think meth and water injection would be enough to keep the engine cool?
I was joking man. Billy madison quote.

But Not sure what the others are made of. ill look it up
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was joking man. Billy madison quote.

But Not sure what the others are made of. ill look it up
Lol I knew it sounded familiar, and thanks. Keep me posted as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Boosting and properly cooling your motor WILL cost you more than trading up to a motor designed by BMW for handling boost. Not only that, but if you upgrade to the 335 you will retain better resale value than a highly modified 328 etc.

As much as I want my 325i to be boosted, it makes NO sense.
How would it cost me more? I actually plan on keeping my car being as its an e90 and I could keep it when I have a family lol but I do get where you are comming from, do you think that meth and water would be enough to keep the motor cool? I'm planning a motorswap later on though to a wayyyy bigger and beefier motor
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Lol I knew it sounded familiar, and thanks. Keep me posted as well

How would it cost me more? I actually plan on keeping my car being as its an e90 and I could keep it when I have a family lol but I do get where you are comming from, do you think that meth and water would be enough to keep the motor cool? I'm planning a motorswap later on though to a wayyyy bigger and beefier motor

How WOULDN'T it cost more? What prices do you have so far? I'm not trying to be negative or bum you out or anything, but it is going to cost FAR more to simply add a SC or turbo to your car than it will to sell your car and buy the 335. Yes meth would be enough to cool it, but realistically it'll cost you a fortune to boost a 32_ . I wish it wasn't true or I'd do it on my own, but really it will

The engine management alone will cost SO MUCH MONEY lol. It really bums me out, but it won't bum me out less if I simply pretend it's not true.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
How WOULDN'T it cost more? What prices do you have so far? I'm not trying to be negative or bum you out or anything, but it is going to cost FAR more to simply add a SC or turbo to your car than it will to sell your car and buy the 335. Yes meth would be enough to cool it, but realistically it'll cost you a fortune to boost a 32_ . I wish it wasn't true or I'd do it on my own, but really it will

The engine management alone will cost SO MUCH MONEY lol. It really bums me out, but it won't bum me out less if I simply pretend it's not true.
Well from what damage I've done to my car, I don't think id get too much for it not to mention I have over 50K miles and I don't wanna spend more money to get a newer car. It feels better to know you're the first owner of the car rather than not knowing what the car has been through (racing, drifting, etc.) For some odd reason though, I love my car even if it is a 328 and not a 330, it also makes me pretty happy to know that I had the first lci 328 mtech around my area and every mile on the car was from me. Idk it feels like a connection thing tbh, I had a chance to get an m3 but pulled back becuz I couldn't get over my own car even though the m3 is 100 times better in every aspect but all the work I've done to my car with blood sweat and tears. Id rather swap motors later on but the motor I want is a nice chunk of change and I have to some how fit it in my car or find a shop where I'm not gonna spend 7k to retrofit it in. But for now the supercharger/forced induction sounds not that bad to me. Id spend 7k to have a super duper fast 328I and I can always sell the kit later on if I wanted to and it'd still be worth a lot . How drastic would my tempurature be with meth and water? As how much colder would it be with nitrous? For nos though, id get a fogger system rather than direct port so it'd be easier on my motor and won't corode it as fast
Appreciate 0