E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PBX pin getting loose

01-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
froz_v
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW/FR ///M

Garage List
Angry PBX pin getting loose

Hi,

I just brought my car in for the valve lifter problem and after they had everything done i took my car home and within 10kms the check engine light came back on so I took the car back to get it checked. Here is what they are telling me:

Initially it was the warranty work that had some problems and then after the fix, they went for a test drive and the engine light came back on. Thru further checking they found that I had the PBX installed and found that the connector pins fell out because the tape was no longer sticky. So it was the pins that was loose that caused the check engine light.

My questions is that I've had my PBX installed back in Nov '09 when it first came out and have yet to remove it at all. What are the chances of the electrical tape getting loose and having the pin fall out? I did get the PBX installed by a very well known vendor here and all I have to say was he does great quality work

Now they are charging me about $300 for 2hr labour that occurred from doing the check and since it was the PBX at fault so warranty does not cover it. Should I pay it or fight it saying that when I brought the car in it was completely fine except for the ticking and even after finding that the warranty work the dealer had performed did cause the engine light they are now saying it was the PBX at fault... something like that.

Any input or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Yes I know i should have taken the PBX out but the SA there was a close friend's high school friend so the SA told me dont worry about your mods its okay so I brought my car in as is... I am so regretting it right now...
09 E92 335xi M-sport SOLD
08 E90 328xi Gone but will never be forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by froz_v View Post
Hi,

I just brought my car in for the valve lifter problem and after they had everything done i took my car home and within 10kms the check engine light came back on so I took the car back to get it checked. Here is what they are telling me:

Initially it was the warranty work that had some problems and then after the fix, they went for a test drive and the engine light came back on. Thru further checking they found that I had the PBX installed and found that the connector pins fell out because the tape was no longer sticky. So it was the pins that was loose that caused the check engine light.

My questions is that I've had my PBX installed back in Nov '09 when it first came out and have yet to remove it at all. What are the chances of the electrical tape getting loose and having the pin fall out? I did get the PBX installed by a very well known vendor here and all I have to say was he does great quality work

Now they are charging me about $300 for 2hr labour that occurred from doing the check and since it was the PBX at fault so warranty does not cover it. Should I pay it or fight it saying that when I brought the car in it was completely fine except for the ticking and even after finding that the warranty work the dealer had performed did cause the engine light they are now saying it was the PBX at fault... something like that.

Any input or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Yes I know i should have taken the PBX out but the SA there was a close friend's high school friend so the SA told me dont worry about your mods its okay so I brought my car in as is... I am so regretting it right now...

I would say if done correctly, slim to none. Remember the ECU does not suffer any wear and tear, it is not open to the elements. So there is no reason why the electrical tape should be loose.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Last edited by DESI4life10; 01-23-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Electrical Tape provides stretching and waterproofing qualities, electrical tape is non-conductive and is used to cover and insulate electrical splices. It is flame retardant and will not catch on fire should there be a spark as paper based tapes would.

The key to using electrical tape properly is to stretch it as you apply and wrap it tightly one piece at a time. If you do not stretch as you apply then it will come loose, especially when the vinyl is exposed to fluctuating temperatures. (summer heat and winter cold) repeatedly.

The correct electrical tape you should be using is Patco 85 which is a cold-weather tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I used liquid gasket to 'glue' my pins together. I chose this because it's vibration resistant, and can be removed easily and cleanly if need be.

As said above, standard electrical tape dries out over time and is typically not recommended for automotive use (due to vibration(s) of the car) - only household use. Shrinking-type electrical tape is used in autos because it adheres to the wires better and doesn't rely on the glue to hold the pieces together, but it is usually more expensive that what you want to spend on something like this. Thus, i went with liquid gasket i got from Wal*Mart
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
dont listen to this guy

its call painters tape/electrical tape for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Painters tape is usually recommended rather than electrical tape. I find electrical tape dries out over a period of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Electrical tape has it's place.

And it's not on a car.

Especially not to ghetto-pin a box in between a ECU and a car's harness.
Bad install work, no matter who does it.

Those contacts are designed to lock into a connector. Not to be taped together. It's asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
60av8tor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I would say if done correctly, slim to none. Remember the ECU does not suffer any wear and tear, it is not open to the elements. So there is no reason why the electrical tape should be loose.
Disagree 100%. In my younger days - before using solder, proper connectors, and shrink wrap - EVERY case of electrical tape would eventually become shitty due to dirt, moisture, heat, etc. I wouldn't even consider electrical tape an acceptable, permanent connection.

Your argument for how long it has been connected is even more reason for me to believe that it did, in fact, just become disconnected.
      01-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Shrink tube is a good alternative and readily available at most auto parts and radio shack stores.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Shrink tube is a good alternative and readily available at most auto parts and radio shack stores.

Mike
Shrink tubing still does not ensure a proper connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
Disagree 100%. In my younger days - before using solder, proper connectors, and shrink wrap - EVERY case of electrical tape would eventually become shitty due to dirt, moisture, heat, etc. I wouldn't even consider electrical tape an acceptable, permanent connection.

Your argument for how long it has been connected is even more reason for me to believe that it did, in fact, just become disconnected.
True BUT how is it possible for a box that is totally sealed off to be exposed to dirt, mositure, and heat (given its location).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

i used something like this:

its call Heat Shrink Wire Wrap....just use the hair dryer to heat it.
      01-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
60av8tor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post

True BUT how is it possible for a box that is totally sealed off to be exposed to dirt, mositure, and heat (given its location).
It is in the engine bay (heat). Even just ambient temp heat cycling and relative moisture in the atmosphere takes its toll after a while. All I know is that given time, I think it is very likely for a connection made only with electrical tape to fail.
      02-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by froz_v View Post
Hi,

Did they void your warranty when they found it?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
froz_v
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW/FR ///M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
Did they void your warranty when they found it?
nope not at all but then again I knew the SA and he told me go home, remove it and if the engine light comes back on or any problems just bring it back and he will sort it out for me =D

So when I got home I took out the ecu cover and found that my SA told the BMW techs to fix the problem for me by reconnecting the pins. =D

But... now my problem is, after replacing the lifters, I did not take out the PBX and found that during cold starts the engine has very rough idle and I can see the rpm fluctuating up and down. Would the be because of the lifters or my PBX is acting up and I should remove it?
09 E92 335xi M-sport SOLD
08 E90 328xi Gone but will never be forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

Do what your SA said. Your car is obviously still experiencing a problem and you have a PnP tune in there. Remove it.
Appreciate 0