E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > muffler delete pipe size?

01-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
joe325i
Private
Rep
Drives: sedona rot 135i

muffler delete pipe size?

so im doing just the muffler to satisfiy my needs for now. but i was thinking if the pipe from the resonator to the muffler is 3" and i lobbed off the muffler and ran 3" pipe wouldnt i lose some torque? what do you guys think of running say 2.5" as to pick up a little bit of back pressure?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

I'm currently runnign 3in from cat back, I notice a lot of backpressure lost on low end and torque but high end, its free flowing and sounds really nice
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Mine was done right to the right of the driver's side control arm using 2.5 inch mandrel bent piping mated to a magnaflow y and out two tips. It has no noticeable loss of torque, and I love the tone. Wish There was a way to make it drone at 2000-2500k a little less. Otherwise tho it sounds great.

To be honest I haven't noticed any "losses" that people talk about. I have the Injen intake and this MD and the car if anything feels alot quicker. It definitely pulls harder up top. I feel like too many people are dyno queens.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
joe325i
Private
Rep
Drives: sedona rot 135i

when i was an audi folk haha i had full straight 3" exhaust . i lost low end but when i put my magnaflow muffler on which was a staright threw type , i gained back my low end torque. i am going to put the same muffler on my 325 but not till winters done and gone. when its nice out i will do a catback deleting all nonsense back to my muffler. do you know the part number of the y piece?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I used this Y
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9817

Stainless and well built. 2.5 inlet, dual 2.25 outlet.

Needs some customizing as the tips sit too far apart if just mated to the Y

and Thermal R&D 3246 Stainless Double Wall Tips. The Y can be had for 25 on amazon, and the tips are very similar to the Dimisa tips. I happened to prefer the Thermal ones from an exhaust I had on a previous car. They were about $100.

I went this route because I dont like the way the dual tips most shops sell, and people use look. Where the are basically meeting the single at a 90degree angle. looks funky to me. My setup flows alot better I feel. Ill get around to taking pics some day.
Appreciate 0