E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Trunk mount... lines inside or out?

06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
while the crush zone argument is definitely valid, the issues you listed are nonsense.

the only "panel" you open up is the trunk liner, which is secured by one bolt. leak problems will be the same as an exterior install (let's face it... unless you're installing poor quality lines, they're not going to split or crack), and kinks are only going to happen if you run the lines like a schmuck.
You hit the nail on the head. All the opportunities that you think happen by "schmucks" (as you call them) are very possible in the real world. They also happen quite often. Just because something isn't posted on E90 doesn't mean it doesn't occur. You said it best; if a leak happens it can happen in both areas interior or exterior; by no accident having a leak outside of the car is a bit safer as you're not breathing in methanol!

There are no excuses other then laziness.

It takes 10 minutes to run lines under the car. I've done it countless times.
All someone needs to do is throw the car up on jack stands on the driver side of the car and remove a few bolts of the under panel (not all of them). That will give you access to all the safe routes that BMW uses for it's brake lines and fuel lines. You would then zip tie your lines accordingly. (No drilling required). Then snake the lines up to the drivers side area of the hood.

You wouldn't run a fuel line inside the car? Would you? Same principals here. Methanol is a fuel.
Why try to sell the idea of installing lines in the cabin? There are absolutely no benefits, not even the install time.
You will have to excuse me if I recommend "best practices". I'm not about to put my name out and offer advise that can hurt someone potentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
Im calling bs on everyone saying do this right run them outside the car please name me one person who has had a meth line crack running it inside the car and I will shut my mouth . I will bet money its never happened.......
I know a few actually how much $$ do i get?

To this day I still don't understand why people argue when someone offers safe choices.
Instead they defend poor ideas like running a flammable liquid through your interior or ask "show me one person". Really?

Why are you in such defense? Did you run lines inside your own car? Take a step back. If it still doesn't sink in then I hope for your sake you don't run into an issue. If you don't well god bless. Someone is watching over you. Maybe you should hit the lottery?

It's funny cause these same remarks remind me of those who were desperately defend the safety of WW kits. Those same people would find excuses as to why it happened or make band-aid fixes so it "reduces the chance".

Instead they could have just got a trunk mount tank properly set up and avoid the entire risk.

Do it once, Do it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
I have to agree I went over this in my head a few times and still think running the lines on the inside is better . when have you ever seen a meth line leak/crack/break whatever other than at the fittings ?if anything running under car where they are subject to the element's would make them more likely to get brittle/crack ect..imho inside is the only way to go.
That's why you put them in a sleeve like the one I linked. It costs less than $10 for enough sleeving, protects it from anything that would cut it (nice and thick) and provides temperature protection (200 C I think).

When I went single turbo we pulled all my old meth lines out (went from PPS to PWM system). My old meth stuff was in this sleeving and had been for 3 years. It looked almost brand new without any traces of disturbance.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
You hit the nail on the head. All the opportunities that you think happen by "schmucks" (as you call them) are very possible in the real world. They also happen quite often. Just because something isn't posted on E90 doesn't mean it doesn't occur. You said it best; if a leak happens it can happen in both areas interior or exterior; by no accident having a leak outside of the car is a bit safer as you're not breathing in methanol!

All someone needs to do is throw the car up on jack stands on the driver side of the car and remove a few bolts of the under panel (not all of them). That will give you access to all the safe routes that BMW uses for it's brake lines and fuel lines. You would then zip tie your lines accordingly. (No drilling required). Then snake the lines up to the drivers side area of the hood.

You wouldn't run a fuel line inside the car? Would you? Same principals here. Methanol is a fuel.
Why try to sell the idea of installing lines in the cabin? There are absolutely no benefits, not even the install time.
You will have to excuse me if I recommend "best practices". I'm not about to put my name out and offer advise that can hurt someone potentially.

To this day I still don't understand why people argue when someone offers safe choices.
Instead they defend poor ideas like running a flammable liquid through your interior or ask "show me one person". Really?

Why are you in such defense? Did you run lines inside your own car? Take a step back. If it still doesn't sink in then I hope for your sake you don't run into an issue. If you don't well god bless. Someone is watching over you. Maybe you should hit the lottery?

It's funny cause these same remarks remind me of those who were desperately defend the safety of WW kits. Those same people would find excuses as to why it happened or make band-aid fixes so it "reduces the chance".

Instead they could have just got a trunk mount tank properly set up and avoid the entire risk.

Do it once, Do it right.
+1
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

This is off topic but the mental image that I have every time I hear about a BMW on meth... Just cracks me up.

Think 70's cheesy muscle car shirt with the flames shooting out. ROTFL Only it has a definite tremor and scratches at itself a lot...
      06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
That's why you put them in a sleeve like the one I linked. It costs less than $10 for enough sleeving, protects it from anything that would cut it (nice and thick) and provides temperature protection (200 C I think).

When I went single turbo we pulled all my old meth lines out (went from PPS to PWM system). My old meth stuff was in this sleeving and had been for 3 years. It looked almost brand new without any traces of disturbance.
This is an excellent idea. Can you share where you bought the line?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
This is an excellent idea. Can you share where you bought the line?
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/12var...ssleeving.aspx
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
order placed, great info
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Im calling bs on everyone saying do this right run them outside the car please name me one person who has had a meth line crack running it inside the car and I will shut my mouth . I will bet money its never happened.......
I am all for calling BS on people but I did read a story about a guys meth line getting a crack in it on a 335 not too long ago.. He could smell meth in his car but couldnt track it down. If I remember correctly Terry from BMS told him to look by the back seat area... Sure enough there was the crack.
      06-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
order placed, great info
haha, NEW DIY TO FOLLOW!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #32
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
haha, NEW DIY TO FOLLOW!!!
Hell yeah!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
I am all for calling BS on people but I did read a story about a guys meth line getting a crack in it on a 335 not too long ago.. He could smell meth in his car but couldnt track it down. If I remember correctly Terry from BMS told him to look by the back seat area... Sure enough there was the crack.
i like to add a little denatured alcohol in the mix once in a while. if you have a leak, you'll definitely smell it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
i like to add a little denatured alcohol in the mix once in a while. if you have a leak, you'll definitely smell it
Good Idea!
      06-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Quote:

Do it once, Do it right.
hold up jeff didn't realize I was being defensive all I was trying to say is that I have never seen a meth line split unless it was at a fitting . and I have seen many installed over the years. I will be the first to admit I never thought of the major car crash, now meth is pouring on the inside of the car theory lol but let me just say if that's the case your trunk mt tank is probably filling the car as well.this was just my opinion if your using hard lines to run meth under the car is great if not I think that you are just asking for them to crack over time just from the elements ie:water ,dirt,hot .cold,salt ect.... again just my opinion .
      06-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #36
Jimbagley
Rep
Drives: 335is

Where do you get the meth? How often do you refill?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hold up jeff didn't realize I was being defensive all I was trying to say is that I have never seen a meth line split unless it was at a fitting . and I have seen many installed over the years. I will be the first to admit I never thought of the major car crash, now meth is pouring on the inside of the car theory lol but let me just say if that's the case your trunk mt tank is probably filling the car as well.this was just my opinion if your using hard lines to run meth under the car is great if not I think that you are just asking for them to crack over time just from the elements ie:water ,dirt,hot .cold,salt ect.... again just my opinion .
That's an interesting opinion but it doesn't hold much value in real world experience, no disrespect.

I can't say with the utmost certainty that all meth kits and their lines are bullet proof. I have heard of instances of lines cracking in random areas. By no accident the quality of these lines were not up to most standards or it could have been a manufacturing defect or lines not intended for methanol use.

Again, since it's a "fuel line" it's a safer bet to put the lines outside of the car where factory fuel lines would be.

Many members including myself have daily driven without issue. From temps as cold as 8 degrees F and as hot as 110F. If the issue is water, dirt and other debris/ elements there is always the alternative for SS braided lines and the offering of a braided sleeve.

I know a few guys personally who drive their cars daily and in the winter/snow/salt/rain on their original lines (Devils Own/ Coolinmist/ Aquamist) for over 4 years/ 50K miles.

If the concern is the utmost safety then dont run methanol. It's not the safest liquid to be driving around with.

If the concern is using methanol in the safest manner possible I would recommend a Race Methanol Tank and SS braided lines. No system is bullet proof but in the quest for doing things right the latter would be the safest route to my knowledge.
Appreciate 0