E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Steering Wheel Pistol Holster

04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg/CR e92 335i

Thought this might be useful for those with a License to Conceal Carry a firearm. I didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought I'd share. It is basically a inexpensive and effective way to holster your pistol under your steering wheel column. They make expensive kits like this for $50, but I did this for $20 (price of the holster).

It allows for very quick and easy access to draw your pistol in the event you need to, yet tucked away enough to keep it concealed. I have carried this way for over a year and it has never fell off, and no one has ever noticed when I had passengers.

I used a Blackhawk Ambidextrous Holster with a Mag Pouch, but others may work out just as nice.

This is how I configured the holster. I'm right handed, so I had to configure the holster to be left handed to be able to draw from under the steering wheel with my right hand. I also flipped the thumb release because I found it to be a more natural motion to push down (than pull up) on the thumb release when reaching for my pistol.

Raise the steering wheel up

Clip on your holster

And that's pretty much it. This is how it looks all done.

The holster looks pretty exposed from here, but with a driver the legs block off some of the view. But as you can see, even without a driver, it blends well into the darkness.

Last edited by msp2three35i; 04-15-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
LeMansBMW335i
Based on a true story
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Pretty simple. Nice work.
2009 335i M-Sport: BMW Performance SSK/pedals/ spoiler/suspension/rear diffuser, 650i clutch, 35% tint, JB4, AFE DCI, Meth Injection, Ceramic coated VRSF Downpipes, ER Chargepipe, DTEC Angle Eyes, LED Interior and Reverse Lighting, Shift Light & Low Meth Light inside Rear View Mirror Clown Nose
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

why carry a gun around like that? I could see you brandishing that gun when someone tries to cut you off/ just saying...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou
why carry a gun around like that? I could see you brandishing that gun when someone tries to cut you off/ just saying...
I carry my pistol everyday for self defense with a LTCC. In the event I need to protect my self or a loved one from imminent danger, time is of the essence. The last thing I want to be doing is be fumbling around the glove compartment, under the seat, etc. looking for my pistol under duress.

I understand your concern for an individual with a history of road rage, but that's an entirely different issue in itself. This is definitely for responsible individuals.
      04-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
e90FunRun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Its a nice setup and like you i carry everywhere i go. But, unfortunantly its ilegal in most states even with a CWP. Basic rule of thumb would be the "2 step" process. I.E.. step 1 open something, step 2 reach in and pull the weapon out...
i'm doing my best to check every law in SC to make sure i can do this even though i'm a MP.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Pretty boss but unnecessary IMO. If you carry around a pistol you better be willing to use it and not just flash it in hopes your problems will go away because guns usually escalate situations, not calm them down. If you're military police you should be able to handle most situations just fine by yourself without having to resort to a gun.
      04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

Nice setup but I prefer something more tucked to the side either to the right of our leg area and pointing down.

For those that mention its not necessary. It's not about road rage or handling yourself. No one would pull out a gun in those road rage situation thats just plain stupid and asking for jail time. Like OP said its for responsible individual and I would hope that most CHL owners are. It's for the 1 time that your life depends on it. No one knows when that one time will be.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

For the people who says its unnecessary

We get Concealed permits/license for a reason to protect ourselves not to flash it to look cool. On the other hand having a license and not carrying the pistol on you is hypocritical.

Great idea OP.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
BCeagle08
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xDrive 6MT

some people
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Nice setup you got there. What do you carry daily?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I'm glad it may be useful for some of you guys out there who carry everyday like I do. I know it's not for everyone, but doesn't hurt to have options.

I carry a sig p229 in .40
      05-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Toda Party
Private
Rep
Drives: E90, EM1, CBR

Nice! I must try...I was thinking of putting mine in the side pocket in the door but I always forget to lock my doors so if they pulled the door open I'd be screwed

BTW Amazon has super cheap nylon holsters that are basically the same as yours except a crappier retention strap for 13 shipped (if you have Prime) if you ever need another one.
http://www.amazon.com/Outbags-OB-30S...0001067&sr=8-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Pretty boss but unnecessary IMO. If you carry around a pistol you better be willing to use it and not just flash it in hopes your problems will go away because guns usually escalate situations, not calm them down. If you're military police you should be able to handle most situations just fine by yourself without having to resort to a gun.
I don't think most people get a concealed carry permit and plans to just wave a real gun around to intimidate people. You could just get an airsoft pistol for that purpose - they look pretty real and it'd be hard to tell if it was real or not. People have been shot by police for drawing their wallet of all things, so...

The vast majority of conceal carry permit holders know when to have to resort to pulling the gun out and using it. Sure there are some douchebags out there, but there's always a few bad apples in any group.

If it's some road rager with empty hands? Meah, most wouldn't draw. Some carjacker or meth head with a knife or other deadly weapon at your window? Good luck "handling" that with calming words

Not trying to start a gun debate on here, just trying to give some insight. If u don't like guns u can always use a taser or something instead. The types of people you are looking to protect yourself from are not always rational or coherent (i.e. the Miami face eater, or any number of hardcore drug users running around).
      05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Great idea! Thx...conceal carry coming to IL finally. Albeit, the politicians will try to limit CC in autos and require that you lock it in the trunk or glove box which is pointless.

Yes, to those that think this will escalate situations do not understand CCW. Actually had a conversation about it last night and one individual thought IL would turn into the Wild West. LOL... so many uninformed people...he did not realize IL is (maybe was) the ONLY state that did not allow CCW w/ the appropriate license. He also thought the licensing for CCW would be the same procedure as obtaining a driver's license. LOL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
hitenrallye
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #16
grubby669
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
What is unnecessary, your comment about ccw responsibility and assuming about something you are uneducated about.

OP nice setup Im going to try something like this in my E92 this week.
I just noticed your front bumper is missing....
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby669 View Post
What is unnecessary, your comment about ccw responsibility and assuming about something you are uneducated about.

Installing the rocket launchers...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:

06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toda Party View Post
Nice! I must try...I was thinking of putting mine in the side pocket in the door but I always forget to lock my doors so if they pulled the door open I'd be screwed

BTW Amazon has super cheap nylon holsters that are basically the same as yours except a crappier retention strap for 13 shipped (if you have Prime) if you ever need another one.
http://www.amazon.com/Outbags-OB-30S...0001067&sr=8-1
that's a nice find Toda. the belt clip looks the same as mine which fits nicely to the dash under the steering wheel and is heavy duty enough to securely hold the weight of your firearm mounted horizontally.

Quote:

yeah I was in the process of snapping some pictures of my progress of replacing my bumper with an mtech and painting the headlight housings black when I thought of making this DIY. i'm glad there are people finding this useful
      06-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Looks like a good way to get shot if you get pulled over
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknezfalz View Post
Its a nice setup and like you i carry everywhere i go. But, unfortunantly its ilegal in most states even with a CWP. Basic rule of thumb would be the "2 step" process. I.E.. step 1 open something, step 2 reach in and pull the weapon out...
i'm doing my best to check every law in SC to make sure i can do this even though i'm a MP.
At least in Florida, the whole 2 step or 3 step rule is a myth and bullshit.
Anyways, It may work better in other cars. I do love keeping mine in the fold out pocket, pretty discrete and not bad to get to if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #22
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains
Looks like a good way to get shot if you get pulled over
I guess anything is possible. I would personally hand the officer my CCW license with my drivers license and tell him I am licensed to carry and disclose where it is. This is the proper etiquette I was taught by an officer to avoid those worst case scenarios.