E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Microfiber and Wash Mitt Cleaning

01-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Microfiber and Wash Mitt Cleaning

How do you guys wash your washing supplies to get the dirt out after washing your cars. Is it safe to through it in the washing machine?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

I do. I just make sure to wash them with stuff that doesn't leave any lint like my cycling jerseys and shorts.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here's a link to how we recommend caring for microfiber towels.

For wash mitts, I usually just hose mine down using free flowing water, and let them hang dry. You want to avoid using too much force or using a washer and dryer for natural fiber mitts, like a sheepskin wash mitt.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

For wash mitts, I usually just hose mine down using free flowing water, and let them hang dry. You want to avoid using too much force or using a washer and dryer for natural fiber mitts, like a sheepskin wash mitt.

George
Thanks alot.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Wow - as a recovering "laundri-holic," I was prepared to dispute or clarify anything that might be wrong in that link, but I just went there and everything you said is correct. Frankly, I didn't expect to agree with you, because I see a lot of misinformation on this topic, but your link is excellent.

I know it sounds weird, but there was this time that I was researching washers and dryers, and I really got into all the stuff about washing machines, dryers, and doing laundry. There are actually enthusiast forums for laundry -- and of course I joined them and participated fairly heavily for a few years. Strange the stuff you can get into on the Internet.

That geekiness aside, here is how to care for microfiber. It turns out this is mostly repeating what is in your link:
  • Most important: wash them only with other MF stuff. Or at a minimum, with nothing that lints out, like cotton towels (that would be particularly horrible). Washing with lycra/spandex cycling stuff like de.abeja does should be fine, though I prefer to wash MF towels alone.
  • Second most important: do not use fabric softener! It leaves a waxy coating. It gunks up the area behind the drum of your washer, too, so I'd avoid it altogether. Use distilled white vinegar as a softener instead. Not just for MF towels, but for everything.
  • As for detergent, the Tide Free mentioned on the Detailed Image link is an excellent recommendation. That's a very good detergent. I wouldn't worry about using a detergent with some "smell" to it, though. Most won't hurt your MF towels or leave any residue -- regular Tide powder would be fine, for example. Laundry geek that I am, I prefer a Mexican laundry detergent called Ariel. If you have any Latino grocery near you, you may want to check it out.
  • Use about half the detergent you normally would.
  • Use distilled white vinegar in place of fabric softener. I recommend DWV for all your laundry, not just MF towels. If your washer has a fabric softener dispenser, put DWV there instead.
  • If your washer has a "second rinse" option (most new ones do), use it. If you have this option, use more DWV than suggested on the Detailed Image link. Use nearly as much DWV as you would regular fabric softener.
  • Use the hottest water you can. Some front load washers have "sanitation" cycles with extremely hot water, near boiling. This is normally used for washing cloth diapers or linens. It is fine to use for MF towels, too. On a regular washer, just use the hot cycle.
  • Tumble dry only with the other MF stuff. Clean your lint filter before you do. Do not use fabric softener sheets! If you use dryer sheets for your other laundry, don't be surprised if there is some transfer from the inside of your dryer, but hopefully there won't be any. Fabric softener sheets suck.
      01-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Wow - as a recovering "laundri-holic," I was prepared to dispute or clarify anything that might be wrong in that link, but I just went there and everything you said is correct. Frankly, I didn't expect to agree with you, because I see a lot of misinformation on this topic, but your link is excellent.
Thanks for the kind words BK, we try to provide as much quality information as possible. I know exactly what you mean about a ton of misinformation on lots of topics on the internet, I see it everyday w/ detailing advise. I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for a washer and dryer, feel free to PM me if you have some time.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finally cured my wife of fabric softener sheets. Waxy buildup on cycling clothes designed to wick off moisture is the equivalent of wearing a plastic trashbag to exercise.

BK-Does the DWV leave any odor afterwards? I am intrigued because of the antiseptic and bleaching properties it has already, but as far as softening the fabric I had no idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by de.abeja View Post
I finally cured my wife of fabric softener sheets. Waxy buildup on cycling clothes designed to wick off moisture is the equivalent of wearing a plastic trashbag to exercise.

BK-Does the DWV leave any odor afterwards? I am intrigued because of the antiseptic and bleaching properties it has already, but as far as softening the fabric I had no idea.
LOL on the fabric softener sheets / plastic bag analogy. After a few washes without the sheets, your clothes, particularly the cottons, will feel a little different as the stuff gets washed out of it. The only thing you'll give up is static control. You can't really avoid static cling when you don't use dryer sheets, but it's worth the minor hassle.

Using DWV as fabric softener is an idea that has been around a long time. I didn't know about it until I started learning more about laundry several years ago, but people have been doing it for ages. It really helps rinse soap out of the clothes in the rinse cycle and soften the water. It shouldn't leave any smell on your clothes, even using up to half of cup of it in a load. But if you're concerned, use the "second rinse" option on your washer (if you have one) to ensure everything is thoroughly rinsed out.
      01-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am totally going to try it now. Thanks for the tip, sorry you had to admit to joining laundry forums though. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 04:50 AM   #10
Charles.Matthew382
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi V8

To clean my car washing supplies, I usually shake off loose dirt, wash microfiber towels separately in cold water with mild detergent, and air-dry to maintain their effectiveness.
Appreciate 0