E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > WTF!! - dodgy roof seals

06-09-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 33I M-Sport Dec'11

WTF!! - dodgy roof seals

I took my E93 in to my local stealer to have the seal on the passenger side lubricated because it had started to creak a little and after waiting whilst they performed the work, my stealer then told me they needed to have the car back because apparently the roof seals hadnt been fitted correctly at the factory and they need to refit them...they need the car for 4 days!!! Can you believe that ?!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Well if your not happy take the car back and live with the badly fitted seals ? You shoudl be happy that a stealer points out defective fitments / parts .

My local stealer is sh*te beyond belief !
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Yes! Different ways of looking at it 1) Shouldn't have happended full stop. 2) They've coughed up and 'are putting things right'. 3) Should it be a national re-call.

Hope you'll be given a suitable loan car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

My E93 has started to have a small leak on both sides where the middle section joins the rear section and it is going in next week for 3 days. The service manager was not surprised to see this and I think it may be a known problem. He also said that the sealing system is pretty complex. Let's hope ths is not the start of an ongoing issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

I'll bet its during the 4 hottest days of the year too!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Not the first time then!

My previous 2006 E90 developed electrical problems at 3 months / 2000 miles, which were caused by water slopping around the boot.

Leak was through welds at top of boot / bottom of screen at both sides which it took a week to trace.

They had accused me of pressure washing or parking it in a pond ffs

Just poor workmanship it seems
      06-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

Slightly on topic....

not sure if this is me being a little too lenient, but I rarely complain at such 'trivialities' (no offence).

But a modern car (especially one as complicated as modern BM) is a frikin marvel. We enjoy the luxuries of home, but installing a lot of those luxuries in a small box capable of transporting us around at high speed, in comfort is surely something to behold?

The thing has TV, cruise, sat nav, electric seats, remote control, adjustable dynamics, auto lights, mirrors, air conditioning (independent front and back), DVD, CD, Hard Disk Drives, USB access, High end Hi fi, TV, air bags and advanced safety features all controlled from the steering wheel or via voice command.. .... plus much much more...

Never mind the technology under the bonnet.
It really is a wonder how reliable these things are.

I'm not saying we should not take these back and mention them as defects as BM will surely want to improve, but we should give it some thought as to the advancements made and to the fact that things do go wrong...

It always annoys me when people complain about the Internet. When I draw up a fraction of the technology and processes involved in getting their request processed from Just down the road or across the planet, they pause and realise that we are indeed taking things alittle too much for granted... English football anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Fair point Al, but roof seals.........human quality control springs to mind.

I agree the technology is impressive but no doubt to those who design, create and produce said technology it is 'relatively' straight forward, like any of us doing our jobs to which we are trained/qualified.

I would wager that there are even more advances in technology relating to the automotive industry that as yet, cannot be used either because the 'market' isn't ready for it, cost of production or testing has so far proven the product isn't yet reliable enough to fit to a car for use by the general public.

Look at my power steering pump seal that went - was that poor materials, dodgy robot or dodgy human - who knows. I accept anything mechanical can/will fail just the roof seals seems a bit of a silly error in this day and age of technology. As long as they fix them though, that's the main thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

years ago i had a 206cc that leaked like a sieve, when I finally got the egits from the dealership to look at it they discovered that they had forgotten to actually put two of the seals on the car in the factory...... wonder how that ever got past the end of line QC

touch wood thought the E93 has been perfect so far.

I take it your local friendly dealer is Dick Lovett, can't say they have been brilliant to deal with so far, but far better then any of the local Fish Brothers outlets
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes its Dick Lovetts. I am not complaining at all that they have found a fault. In fact, full marks to them for the diagnosis. I was just suprised that they need the car for 4 days and more to the point, totally shocked that the car should leave the factory with incorrectly fitted seals.
The car has never leaked and the only reason why I took it in was because every previous BMW I have had, has suffered from creaky seals at one time or another that has needed changing and so I took it in for a 'fix whilst I wait' as I had assumed that the seal around the passenger door just needed lubricating.
They are providing a loan car and my E93 has been a real pleasure over the last 6 months that I have had it. All I am saying is that a 38 grand motor should never have left the factory with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

Im currently seeking legal action......i had a roof leak on the 1st month, they said they will take 2-3 days to sort the leak and so i booked it in....they took the car for a whole month!!!! yes a MONTH! then when i got it back, a week later its leaking more!! ive had enough - car been at the dealer so many times and the more time it spends there the more they do more damage to the car like - curb 2 wheels, cut my seat, break and GLUE back the blaack window trim and even ripped a tyre! oh yeah and somehow managed to soak the inside with water were the sunvisors are and the top of the dash!!

Currently trying to get in the process of returning the car as im gettin very poor service and even after a month of trying to fix the roof, they cant seem to get it fully fixed!
      06-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

I can appreciate the need to get the job done right and I'm not saying you did the wrong thing in taking it back. Expectations should be high when spending such money...

My point was much higher in managing peoples expectations when choosing to own and run such a complex beast.

Wafik's experience is totally unacceptable, but I suspect more down the workmanship post sale....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I picked up my car last night after having the roof seals done. They had it for a week as they needed an extra day to test it for roof rattles and needed a dry day for that. I had a 1 series as a loan car...a 2 litre diesel automatic...god the torgue was amazing...god knows what the 3.0D would be like.

Anyway I haven't tested my E93 with the roof up yet to check for rattles as it was blisteringly hot last night but the new seals are a far neater fit then when the car was delivered from the factory and the doors seem harder to close now so I am guessing the cabin is more air tight.
I gave Dick Lovetts firm instructions not to clean it which they took note of and a friend of mine who runs a valeting business as just valeted the car for me and he said the seats were really grubby. Has to be expected I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariboy View Post
Well I picked up my car last night after having the roof seals done. They had it for a week as they needed an extra day to test it for roof rattles and needed a dry day for that. I had a 1 series as a loan car...a 2 litre diesel automatic...god the torgue was amazing...god knows what the 3.0D would be like.

Anyway I haven't tested my E93 with the roof up yet to check for rattles as it was blisteringly hot last night but the new seals are a far neater fit then when the car was delivered from the factory and the doors seem harder to close now so I am guessing the cabin is more air tight.
I gave Dick Lovetts firm instructions not to clean it which they took note of and a friend of mine who runs a valeting business as just valeted the car for me and he said the seats were really grubby. Has to be expected I guess.
Glad they fixed it, but it's the length of time that they needed it which seems odd.

How can it take a week to swap a few seals over????
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #15
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hope its done for good now....hopefully these seals work much better and keep it air tight! mine was grubby after they cleaned it!
      06-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Glad they fixed it, but it's the length of time that they needed it which seems odd.

Took them 4 weeks to do mine and still failed....but i guess im glad the cars getting replaced now!
      06-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #17
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post

Lol thats why I originally posted this thread. They had the car for a week. They did call me after the first day to tell me that they had started work and more seals were being delivered the next day. Apparently it is a known problem and although the car was whisper quiet before I guess it should be better now.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
Hope its done for good now....hopefully these seals work much better and keep it air tight! mine was grubby after they cleaned it!
Yeah, mine was filthy. Still, Dave from Spotless Valeting performed his usual miracle and the car looks like its factory fresh again....inside and out. He's a cracking good valeter.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
I'll bet its during the 4 hottest days of the year too!
thats why his screwing
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #20
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so a quick update. had the car back for a few days now and looks like Lovetts really have done a cracking job. Even at high speed, the car is a lot quieter than it used to be and it was pretty good before.
It almost feels a lot more solid as the cabin is a lot more air tight. I dont know whether the seal were just badly fitted at the factory or whether the new seals that BMW are now fitting are improved but either way the car is a lot better.
The fit is a lot neater too so I have to give full marks to Lovetts for this one. A job well done.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #21
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I'd be really interested as to why they need the car for 4 days? That's a whole lot of man hours!!!
      07-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #22
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
one assumes the seals are some how attached to the car with glue or something? I expect they need to cure before they can test it with water etc.
Appreciate 0