E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Removing E91 Rear Roundel?

05-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Question Removing E91 Rear Roundel?

I've searched here, other BMW forums, and over the internet, but I can't find an answer.

I don't want to go down the vinyl overlay route, because the edge of the roundel is starting to corrode, but none of the usual vendors seem to sell a proper replacement for the E91. I asked one of them - I don't remember which - and was told that it was too difficult to replace the rear roundel on an E91 which was why they offered the vinyl overlay instead.

The tailgate diagram on RealOEM seems to suggest it's a similar setup to the front roundel, with holes behind the badge for lugs to sit in, but I can't find the right part number for the badge itself to check if that's actually the case... What I don't want to do is pull the old one off and not be able to replace it properly.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks
      05-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
If the roundel is fitted as per the bonnet, I did the following:

Fitted masking tape all around the roundel.
Using an old credit card, I eased this under the roundel and with a small broad bladed screwdriver gently prised the roundel up. You'll need to move the card around the roundel prising up as you go.

Heating the roundel with a hairdryer prior to doing all the above will help, as there is a spongy glued disc under the roundel that you can't see.

Then this link will take you to the new roundel (scroll down)

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp...&Item=unassign

Or if you want to give us all a laugh, fit these

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp...&Item=unassign

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I've searched here, other BMW forums, and over the internet, but I can't find an answer.

I don't want to go down the vinyl overlay route, because the edge of the roundel is starting to corrode, but none of the usual vendors seem to sell a proper replacement for the E91. I asked one of them - I don't remember which - and was told that it was too difficult to replace the rear roundel on an E91 which was why they offered the vinyl overlay instead.

The tailgate diagram on RealOEM seems to suggest it's a similar setup to the front roundel, with holes behind the badge for lugs to sit in, but I can't find the right part number for the badge itself to check if that's actually the case... What I don't want to do is pull the old one off and not be able to replace it properly.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks
My tailgate roundel was corroding too. I just bought a new one from BMW (£15 ish) and fitted it in 1 minute, it fits exactly the same way as any other roundel, so that particluar 'vendor' was talking out of his backside!

E91 LCI badges: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=51&fg=20

Item 1 only applies to 'hood' (bonnet) thus item 3 is for anywhere else (ie tailgate)

grommets item 4.

You'll need a soft plastic tool to prise off the old badge without marking the paint, or use metal tools wrapped in PVC tape etc, doesn't matter if it breaks off.

It is a different part number to saloon and coupe tailgate badges, so maybe the low volume stops aftermarket badges being worth while to manufacture?

Last edited by doughboy; 05-25-2011 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Nice one Doughboy, thanks

If I can get a new OE roundel, I'm happy to put a vinyl overlay over that

Edit: its 78mm if anyone is interested, and CF or monochrome roundels are available.

Last edited by parapaul; 05-25-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0