E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > "Do Not Wash"

01-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Angry "Do Not Wash"

I know some people put the sign on the dash before dropping the car at the dealer for service, and I almost did it myself, but I put too much trust in the dealership.

Big letters on the ticket: "Do Not Wash"

Thought that would be enough. I was wrong.

On the phone: "Sir, I'm extremely sorry. We washed your car, and I know you told us not to."

Because the dealership uses a 'touchless' car wash, I wasn't too upset; I occasionally bring it to a touchless car wash myself. However, the chimp they hired to drive the cars through the wash felt it necessary to 'dry' the car too.

Everybody knows the 'touchless' car wash doesn't remove much dirt.

I don't know of anyone that does a good 'paint correction' job, like Picus or FMinus, here in Nashville. I've looked for 2 years.

Even after following this thread for 2 years, and visiting Autopia frequently, I am still too intimidated to use a polish. I go to great lengths to keep swirls off my car, and then this from the dealership.

I'm debating what to do.

Edit - it was VERY dirty when I dropped it off, so I know there are swirls. Since it's still pretty dirty, I won't know what the swirls look like until I clean it. Unfortunately, I won't have the time for another 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I know of knowone in Nashville BUT and this is a BIG but, my best friend just accepted a job with Dollar. There is a very good chance I will prolly drive down there to visit this spring/summer. If by then you haven't found someone or done something yourself I'd be more then happy to help you out.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

i just bought a chalk window marker so i can write dont wash on my windows so they wont when I bring it in
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Neurorad: Sorry to hear that, that happened to my on my last car (black ) and it was a nightmare. Did the dealership offer you any compensation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E nine T View Post
i just bought a chalk window marker so i can write dont wash on my windows so they wont when I bring it in
Great idea!

On another quick note, not to hijack the thread of course, but how do most feel about the dealership doing a detail with clay bar etc, my SA said they would do one for some troubles I went through.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Thanks for the offer, DarkCloud. I hope to have my paint corrected by then.

Chalk for windows - good idea, but you'll have to clean it yourself after. I'll be sure to hang a sign on my dash, in English and Spanish, next time.

The dealership offered to detail my car. There is a 'Car Spa' operated at the local dealership. I had my car waxed a couple of times there, but haven't gone back because the job wasn't great - left a haze on the finish both times.

After putting much thought into the subject, I'm afraid I'm stuck using their 'Spa' for paint correction. I wish I had a reliable, proven, local alternative. I searched Ferrari and Porsche forums today for a tip on an outstanding local detailer, and re-searched Autopia, with no luck.

In response to the claying comment - claying a car removes dirt, but does nothing for swirls and scratches. It needs polishing with a mildly abrasive polish, followed by wax/sealant/LSP. Unless they're experienced, I'd shy away from their work.

I'll set up an appt at the BMW 'spa' for a few weeks from now, the next time I'm able to drop it off. It really kills me because I've put such tremendous effort into avoiding swirls and scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
On another quick note, not to hijack the thread of course, but how do most feel about the dealership doing a detail with clay bar etc, my SA said they would do one for some troubles I went through.
Depends. Ask some questions before you allow them to perform this service.

Like, After they clay will they polish the paint? If not, don't let them. Claying the car will expose every little scratch in the paints finish, if they don't polish then their using some sort of filler product to hide the scratches which will eventually show themselves after the filler product wears off. If so next question, Will they polish the paint with a rotary or a random orbit PC? If rotary, is the person skilled and will not leave any burn marks or halograms? If a PC, then that would take a lot of skill to harm the paint. Then begin to ask which products they use? Some people have total preference on products, if they won't tell you what they use I wouldn't trust them with my car.

Basically make them give you a step by step rundown of what they'll do. If you have any questions post what they'll do here and someone will be able to tell you if they do the right stuff.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Depends. Ask some questions before you allow them to perform this service.

Like, After they clay will they polish the paint? If not, don't let them. Claying the car will expose every little scratch in the paints finish, if they don't polish then their using some sort of filler product to hide the scratches which will eventually show themselves after the filler product wears off. If so next question, Will they polish the paint with a rotary or a random orbit PC? If rotary, is the person skilled and will not leave any burn marks or halograms? If a PC, then that would take a lot of skill to harm the paint. Then begin to ask which products they use? Some people have total preference on products, if they won't tell you what they use I wouldn't trust them with my car.

Basically make them give you a step by step rundown of what they'll do. If you have any questions post what they'll do here and someone will be able to tell you if they do the right stuff.
Great points to consider. Thanks. I'll grill them before agreeing to have them work on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Neurorad
Major
Rep

The Service Manager told me, when I picked up the car last night, that they used a chammy cloth to dry the car, so it won't have swirls.

I'm hoping the dedicated detailers know better than to 'dry' an unclean car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Thanks for the offer, DarkCloud. I hope to have my paint corrected by then.

In response to the claying comment - claying a car removes dirt, but does nothing for swirls and scratches. It needs polishing with a mildly abrasive polish, followed by wax/sealant/LSP.

I'll set up an appt at the BMW 'spa' for a few weeks from now, the next time I'm able to drop it off. It really kills me because I've put such tremendous effort into avoiding swirls and scratches.
No problem.

Do you not have the time to do paint correction on your own? Buying the supplies the first time around can suck because the $$$'s add up but they should last a loooong time. It also would only take you 2 Saturday afternoons a year to keep your car looking great. You can't tell me that you don't have 2 Saturday's where you have nothing to do

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
The Service Manager told me, when I picked up the car last night, that they used a chammy cloth to dry the car, so it won't have swirls.

Tell that Service Manager to go home tonight and hose off his car. Then dry it off with whatever towel/chammy he desires. Then let him marvel in his wonderful work in the afternoon sun of the next day

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Chalk for windows - good idea, but you'll have to clean it yourself after. I'll be sure to hang a sign on my dash, in English and Spanish, next time.

The Chalk insures that they really dont wash it. They may spill something on the car that they would be forced to wash it (aka oil, other contaminants) so that they wont have a bigger issue on their hands. If they wash the car the chalk will be gone, so I figure its the best way.

BTW..a million swirls in my car after they did it twice because they didnt listen to me. I previously had no swirls b/c I wash my car properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
No problem.

Do you not have the time to do paint correction on your own? Buying the supplies the first time around can suck because the $$$'s add up but they should last a loooong time. It also would only take you 2 Saturday afternoons a year to keep your car looking great. You can't tell me that you don't have 2 Saturday's where you have nothing to do

The only time I have 'nothing to do' is after 10P, after my 3 kids are asleep, ages 3 months, 2 years, and 4 years. Yes, I've detailed my car after 10P; neighbors think I'm crazy.

It will get easier after the newborn doesn't have to be held all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
The only time I have 'nothing to do' is after 10P, after my 3 kids are asleep, ages 3 months, 2 years, and 4 years. Yes, I've detailed my car after 10P; neighbors think I'm crazy.

It will get easier after the newborn doesn't have to be held all the time.
Oh got ya. My brother is living that life right now. I'm not there yet. It's a blast though. I love my nephews, so much fun to stop by, play and get him worked up then leave

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0