E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The end to all Bluetooth Audio streaming threads

05-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #177
mazza2590
Rep
Drives: 2011 DSB 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmark View Post
Update - Turned down the volume on my phone to 50-70% using the firefly. The quality got a lot better at that point. Its still not Aux quality or the "AMAZING" quality that people are reporting but its definitely clear enough to work for me.

Yup, that's the magic spot that i keep my volume at too.

Sounds pretty damn good in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #178
khizrs
Rep
Drives: m3

Do any of these remember your phone?
I've had ones that need to be switched on or paired every time you get in the car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #179
duchess
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible SULEV

Spent the last 6 hours reading this thread and others looking for the perfect bluetooth solution for my 07 E93 without phone bluetooth and L7... and I just pulled the trigger on the FireFly, since I have an iPhone and can't take advantage of aptx.

My main concern is autoconnecting... for those of you using the firefly right now, how well does it auto-connect? I don't have a USB input, so I'll be using a car charger in the center console

From the reviews I read on Amazon, it seems like it's an issue / they even acknowledge it on their website, citing the wiring of different cars. If I'm gonna have to take it out and plug it back in every now and then, I know for a fact I'll get annoyed very quickly and return it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #180
dinkyrdj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khizrs View Post
Do any of these remember your phone?
I've had ones that need to be switched on or paired every time you get in the car.

Thanks!
I can only speak for the amazon Bluetooth adapter. It does auto connect to my phone every time I turn on the power to the car. It connects quickly and reliably.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #181
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

Like many others I have been combing the internet for a bluetooth music solution. I have had the kinivo in my 3 series for awhile and it is good but I really want something that will work with the steering wheel controls.

I recently purchased a E88 that has the usb and aux, I tried a cheap adapter, it sucked, then bought the Besign BK01 off amazon. Great reviews, my .02 sound quality was good, and connectivity was flawless but, the track forward and backward did not work with Pandora. It worked in "Play music" but I need it to work on Pandora.

Anyway, my necessities are:
1. It must auto connect when I get in the car.
2. I want it to utilize the steering wheel controls.
3. I have an Android Phone, I repeat I have an Android Phone.

I have ordered another Kinivo as that worked just fine in the 3 series, but I was hoping to find one that integrates with the steering wheel.

I am debating taking the Kinivo apart when if comes and trying to wire it into the steering wheel controls and taping into the Aux "in" wires to make it completely hidden.
      05-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #182
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

I ended up getting a new car to replace my aging 335xi coupe. I don't have to worry about adapters since every new car has bluetooth streaming and auto connect from factory
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #183
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

I bought one of the FireFly Blutooth adapters of the back of all the good reviews in this post and Amazon. Very happy with it, sounds good, very tidy install with the short cable and not too expensive. Works well with a small/low profile 12v adapter.

As others have mentioned, the only issue is that it's open for anyone to connect, not ideal if in traffice and someones feeling mischievous.

05-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #184
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
I ended up getting a new car to replace my aging 335xi coupe. I don't have to worry about adapters since every new car has bluetooth streaming and auto connect from factory
Thanks Mr. Obvious.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #185
dying4004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i 2010

guys, is there any bluetooth device that will support steering control and works with android that shows songs title and playlist?

i got a bmw 323i 2010 with ipod integration.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #186
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

Can I simultaneously connect my phone to idrive's bluetooh phone feature and also have BT streaming audio through my center console aux/usb input?

Edit, sounds like it will work with multiple BT connections so good.

Last edited by adonnan; 06-01-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #187
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
Can I simultaneously connect my phone to idrive's bluetooh phone feature and also have BT streaming audio through my center console aux/usb input?

Edit, sounds like it will work with multiple BT connections so good.
Yes, you can switch them on ur phone. Mark one as media, other as phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #188
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

I have had a BlueTrip bluetooth device for about 7 month, and use it on conjunction with my iPhone 5c.

Other than a quiet hands free calling (simply because the device is in a closed center console ... it pairs automatically when I start the car, pauses the audio when the car is turned off (you will have to push play for the song to resume). I have no problem streaming audio from Spotify, SoundCloud, or Bandcamp ... however it will not stream the audio from the Youtube app.

If you're a PreLCI owner without a USB port ... I have found this to be a great option.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #189
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchieftaco View Post
I just purchased this for my 330xi https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q65L660
I'll report back on if it works and what functions are retained when using (Steering wheel buttons & audio info on screen)
Any updates on this bro?

Steering wheel controls &/or display working?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #190
DEE-83
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Hello everyone

UPDATE on a new device i am using called "Firefly from tuna" details below (Supports AAC and APTX codec) best of both worlds

Wireless streaming and the quality of music are my two most important requirements. standards set too high? HELL YEAH

Having logic 7 with USB and Aux (6FL) in the center console didn't give me much of a choice at first. It was either the iPod (y-cable) connection or just a USB flash drive.

Airport express/Toslink Dac to AUX

Problems with this set up was
  • Drop out connections
  • Boot up times
  • Sometimes it would reset it self the unit(keep in mind i had all the power connections soldered accordingly and using the step down converter)

AirEnabler W/Fiio E10K USB DAC

Problems?
  • Boot up time (can be mitigated with a USB external battery supply. But the headaches of charging after depletion..)
  • Delay in Skipping Tracks (yes i don't care if its 3 seconds it still bugs me)
  • countless connection problems. dropouts in particular. while skipping songs it would either kick out of airplay mode and just play through my phone speaker or it would just pause and not let me connect to airplay at all

With advancements in Bluetooth technology there are a few products that support APTx codecs for android & has a great DAC built in.

Before i talk about my next set up id like to mention that i picked up a brand new full loaded Audi few months back that has the Bang Olufsen package w/Bluetooth streaming. The factory system sounded so good crisp and clear not to mention very loud i was mind boggled just from a bluetooth connection?

OLD setup: The Audioengine B1 Premium Bluetooth Music Receiver

NEW SETUP below

specs:
  • Bluetooth v4.0 with backward compatible
  • Pure copper with gold plated connector
  • Support A2DP v1.2, SPP Supprt AAC, MP3 and SBD decoder
  • Support Party Mode, max 2 device connection at the same time
  • Stored up to 8 paired devices
  • 33ft or 10m connection distance, without interference Input voltage : 5V

Official site
http://www.tunai-creative.com/firefly.html

Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/TUNAI-FIREFLY...=tunai+firefly

After using the Firefly i am glad to say this is the best set up i have used so far.
  • No Lag
  • Instant Connection
  • Insane sound quality over Bluetooth AAC & APTX support !!!!
  • No boot up times

How is the SQ of the Audioengine B1 Premium Bluetooth Music Receiver, it's RRP here in the UK is circa £189, is this product comparable with other units mentioned or does it surpass the cheaper units in term of SQ
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #191
Wksk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 6spd goes vroom!

Thanks for the tip Red Car. I canceled my sirius subscription a month ago (my god do they play the same shit over and over and over and over) and have been using an aux cable since but that is so cumbersome. I just ordered the firefly based on your recommendation. Looking forward to getting it Saturday and will post thoughts on it after testing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #192
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
Any updates on this bro?

Steering wheel controls &/or display working?
The Tune2Air will work with steering controls and display track/title info on the display.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #193
mang.vang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i m sport

Purchased the firefly it's inconsistent with automatically connecting to my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #194
jbo88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebeiro View Post
The Tune2Air will work with steering controls and display track/title info on the display.
The Tune2Air didn’t work well for me. It was spotty on reconnecting, sometimes the track display didn’t work, sometimes the steering wheel control didn’t work. Very frustrating. I just went back to AUX.

This is an 09 e92 with a USB port, no Idrive, standard hifi with professional radio. Using an iPhone 6s.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #195
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo88 View Post
The Tune2Air didn’t work well for me. It was spotty on reconnecting, sometimes the track display didn’t work, sometimes the steering wheel control didn’t work. Very frustrating. I just went back to AUX.

This is an 09 e92 with a USB port, no Idrive, standard hifi with professional radio. Using an iPhone 6s.
I had the Tune2Air and returned it. Steering wheel controls worked but the sound quality was poor and the sound was not balanced between the speakers (yes it was centered on the car controls) I just switched to "Coolstream Bluetooth Adapter" It connects instantly and has better sound quality, but the steering wheel controls do not work.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Ada.../dp/B017RWJ46O

Last edited by flexinator; 09-08-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #196
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Hey guys,

Vehicle information:
2010 335I with Enhanced premium sound/ individual stereo
have both USB and Aux ports - No Idrive

I ordered the BMW stream2air adapter https://bmwstream2air.com/
and it's the same as the rest, cannot use steering wheel functions to skip tracks and need to press play to start my music and pause to stop it once I turn my car off. Also, I've noticed some speaker crackle at higher volumes with this plugged in.

I surprised there hasn't been a USB to Bluetooth audio device made yet for this yet. It would be nice to just hook up to the USB port and send a audio Bluetooth signal to that, I believe that if this was a possibility we would all be able to use our steering controls.

The only option I can see working would be to purchase the Parrot audio kit but then again I don't want to have an extra device hanging around and look out of place. I like the look of the factory head unit and would rather not want to switch it out.

Has anybody found a kit that hooks into the harness onto the back of the head unit to allow Bluetooth streaming while retaining steering wheel controls?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #197
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Dension 500s bt integrates with the most system and has
steering wheel controls not cheap though.
Also gives usb and ipod integration if you don't have it.(and phone if you don;t
have that)
There are several clone brands of that device to.

kinovo 450 bt has a separate control and it supports aptx if you have android
with aptx seems like a better way to get wireless fidelity.

If you are going through the aux its compromised sound a DAC will help
according to most.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-21-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #198
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Dension 500s bt integrates with the most system and has
steering wheel controls not cheap though.
Also gives usb and ipod integration if you don't have it.(and phone if you don;t
have that)
There are several clone brands of that device to.

kinovo 450 bt has a separate control and it supports aptx if you have android
with aptx seems like a better way to get wireless fidelity.

If you are going through the aux its compromised sound a DAC will help
according to most.
The Dension would be more what I'm looking for but unfortunately it is made for Iphone (I'm an Android owner) and like you stated it's damn expensive!

The Kinovo could be an option but then again I'd have to mount the separate control which defeats the purpose of me wanting to use the steering control. Although, this would be the a good option since I could mount the controller anywhere that is easy to access.

Something like this would be the best option

But I haven't found any yet. I believe that if we could plug one of these in our USB port, it would allow us to have full steering wheel functions..
Appreciate 0