E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Went drag racing and car broke again.

07-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Went drag racing and car broke again.

So after the last fix by my friendly BMW dealer by replacing the dpf my car has been trouble free two weeks and I decide to take it drag racing.
I went to an 1/8 mile. My best was an 8.86 but most of my runs were in the 9.0-9.2 range. I beat every car I raced all night. On the last run right in the middle of the race I get a engine malfunction and reduced power message and lose... I was soooo pissed off. No ses light but I got home and turbocharger under boost condition is pending in the computer. This is the same code they were fixing the car for before they replaced the dpf. I was so pissed off I even went car shopping, but all the cars I drive are pos
Only cars I actually like are BMW Audi or Infiniti... But BMW is better. So I didn't trade and cars going back to dealer. I don't want to do a dpf delete just yet because it would totally void my warranty and don't really know what to do at this point... Any input fellas?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
how many runs before this happened?
      07-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Could be your turbo actuators. Do you find a long lag before the second turbo kicks in at 3K rpm?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
how many runs before this happened?
12 ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Could be your turbo actuators. Do you find a long lag before the second turbo kicks in at 3K rpm?
I didn't notice any lag.. My times were pretty consistent.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I meant lag after you saw the fault message.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well it cut the power. But i wouldnt say i felt any lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Were you monitoring EGT's and coolant temps? How about boost levels? Was the car trying to do a DPF regen during the pulls? What kind of mods are you running? How long between pulls and was the car cooled down between? What were ambient temps?

It's possible the engine/DPF were getting really, really hot if you weren't monitoring things. Also possible the air charge pipe sealing gaskets were not able to hold pressure due to excessive heat under the hood. If you get a tool (Bavarian Technic or Android Torque) that will show you those operating conditions you could gain a lot of insight into what's going on when you are really pushing your vehicle in this type of extreme utilization.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Its under warranty. utilize it. dont get rid of her just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

wish you luck amigo on this
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Were you monitoring EGT's and coolant temps? How about boost levels? Was the car trying to do a DPF regen during the pulls? What kind of mods are you running? How long between pulls and was the car cooled down between? What were ambient temps?

It's possible the engine/DPF were getting really, really hot if you weren't monitoring things. Also possible the air charge pipe sealing gaskets were not able to hold pressure due to excessive heat under the hood. If you get a tool (Bavarian Technic or Android Torque) that will show you those operating conditions you could gain a lot of insight into what's going on when you are really pushing your vehicle in this type of extreme utilization.
I will try and answer your questions as accurately as I can.
The ambient temps started at 100F and dropped to about 93F as time went on.
I was not monitoring any temps and neither was I monitoring boost levels. I dont know if it was trying to do a regen, but I'm suspecting it was. I have a reflash by ecotune. The code that I was able to read with my hand scanner was a turbo underboost condition. It is possible that the dpf got too hot during the regen at WOT and it cut the power to keep it from melting down.
I really wish these bmw cars would indicate when a regeneration cycle is performed just like my ford diesel truck. I think I'll pick up one of these bavarian technic tools and start monitoring things. I will be dropping the car off at the dealer tomorrow and see what else they can find.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
I will try and answer your questions as accurately as I can.
The ambient temps started at 100F and dropped to about 93F as time went on.
I was not monitoring any temps and neither was I monitoring boost levels. I dont know if it was trying to do a regen, but I'm suspecting it was. I have a reflash by ecotune. The code that I was able to read with my hand scanner was a turbo underboost condition. It is possible that the dpf got too hot during the regen at WOT and it cut the power to keep it from melting down.
I really wish these bmw cars would indicate when a regeneration cycle is performed just like my ford diesel truck. I think I'll pick up one of these bavarian technic tools and start monitoring things. I will be dropping the car off at the dealer tomorrow and see what else they can find.
That's hot.

You might want to also consider the Android Torque app if you have that type of phone or a tablet with android OS. With a bluetooth OBD dongle it's super easy to use. Much easier than the Bavarian Technic (although it can do and see way more than Torque can).

I'm able to see the EGT's and boost, and its obvious from the EGT and EGR/Throttle behavior when the car is doing a DPF regen.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=23
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
If its under warranty, return your car back to stock and get it fixed. Not sure how they'll react if the cars modded out and you told them you tracked it. Would be worth making it stock and using it warranty.
      07-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
If its under warranty, return your car back to stock and get it fixed. Not sure how they'll react if the cars modded out and you told them you tracked it. Would be worth making it stock and using it warranty.
They already replaced the dpf and other stuff on it while flashed so its not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
They already replaced the dpf and other stuff on it while flashed so its not an issue.
Oh shit. You've got a good dealer man. Mine will void my warranty in a heart beat for any mod.
      07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's hot.

You might want to also consider the Android Torque app if you have that type of phone or a tablet with android OS. With a bluetooth OBD dongle it's super easy to use. Much easier than the Bavarian Technic (although it can do and see way more than Torque can).

I'm able to see the EGT's and boost, and its obvious from the EGT and EGR/Throttle behavior when the car is doing a DPF regen.

Thanks for giving me this info. I've ordered the bluetooth adapter from amazon just now. We'll see how this works out. I would like to get the bavarian technic, but the regular version is only good for 3 vehicles.. and the professional is very expensive. I'm holding off on that purchase for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Nice. Let us know how it works for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
acewiza
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Looks Nice, but Maybe You Can't Have It...

Quote:
Much easier than the Bavarian Technic (although it can do and see way more than Torque can).
I see on the Bavarian Technic web site they list it for 1996-09 3 series and NO U.S. distributors!

Wonder when they will update it for later years and sell it in the U.S.?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Am thinking about getting the OBD Dongle and seeing whether Torque makes the app for the iPhone 4S.

So, from looking at the Torque shots in the link, during Regen the EGT1 temp goes way up and the EGR falls to zero percent, and after Regen, the EGT1 temp falls back to "normal" and the EGR percent climbs up to above 90 percent. Correct?

Now I need to decide whether having the Torque app running all the time and thus occupying the OBD port, or having the JBD CAN tool occupying the OBD port. I wonder if the Torque app can do everything I need to do, not for setup, but for ongoing daily use, that the CAN tool does for me, meaning seeing all the codes that might be thrown by the JBD, and clearing them as needed?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
I see on the Bavarian Technic web site they list it for 1996-09 3 series and NO U.S. distributors!

Wonder when they will update it for later years and sell it in the U.S.?
I've been using it for several years. Came with the JBD I bought a long time ago. Lots of data collected from it on this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=598240

It's incredibly useful. Especially for doing fuel filter changes as its the only way I was able to get the low pressure pump to turn on so I could flush the filter and remove air from the fuel system before starting the car (very important for HPFP longevity and health).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Am thinking about getting the OBD Dongle and seeing whether Torque makes the app for the iPhone 4S.

So, from looking at the Torque shots in the link, during Regen the EGT1 temp goes way up and the EGR falls to zero percent, and after Regen, the EGT1 temp falls back to "normal" and the EGR percent climbs up to above 90 percent. Correct?

Now I need to decide whether having the Torque app running all the time and thus occupying the OBD port, or having the JBD CAN tool occupying the OBD port. I wonder if the Torque app can do everything I need to do, not for setup, but for ongoing daily use, that the CAN tool does for me, meaning seeing all the codes that might be thrown by the JBD, and clearing them as needed?
In normal operation the EGR/throttle tend to bounce around a lot. But on most steady state driving at low engine load the EGR is heavily utilized. But yes, during DPF regen the EGR goes to 0 (depending on engine load it'll fluctuate a little above 0) and EGT's go through the roof.

One thing to note, I'm unable to see the shadow codes with torque, but can with the BT.

Really, you should get both :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
In normal operation the EGR/throttle tend to bounce around a lot. But on most steady state driving at low engine load the EGR is heavily utilized. But yes, during DPF regen the EGR goes to 0 (depending on engine load it'll fluctuate a little above 0) and EGT's go through the roof.

One thing to note, I'm unable to see the shadow codes with torque, but can with the BT.

Really, you should get both :-)
It seems from my initial and preliminary investigation that Torque comes only for Android devices and not for the big bad IOS devices (iPhone).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep

so a bit of an update. sa called yesterday. he said the mechanic will be replacing the electronic vacuum control unit since the turbos are actuated by vacuum, or the wastegates.. or something lol. I sure would love to see a diagram of all this piping in there. Hopefully will get car back tomorrow and see if I can hook up torque to it and see where we are.
Appreciate 0