E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Manuals, Invoice/MSRP Pricing, Buying Guides, Bulletins, etc. > 'i' vs. 'xi'

04-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Diadal
Rep
Drives: Golfing...

'i' vs. 'xi'

Hey friends!

I would like to hear your experienced voice on this:

I am investing into a new BMW 3-series this year. I'd go for a 325 or 330 automatic sedan/limousine, with petrol/benzin engine, but i managed to get stuck here:

rear-wheel drive vs. xDrive

I'ver spent hours on the net trying to get it right, but I see everywhere contradicting opinions.

Like these videos are quite impressing on RWD:

But again these are not:

- even with the happy ending

You see, I live in Europe, in a low-hilly place. In my country we get 5-10 days of medium snowing every year, and about 30-40 days of plowed snowy roads. Otherwise it is rainy, murky roads, nothing special.

My friends (including a car-dealer) tell me to go for the xDrive, cause in the RWD I cannot get control on slippery roads. I will need to load heavy weights in the trunk to get some grip on the rear wheels... My neighbour just bought a 325xi, but he is a family guy.

So I am not that convinced, because with xDrive I get understeer, higher consumption, less power, higher, insportier riding, and something else I cannot even imagine. It seems too much of a trade-off.

So my heart tells me that 330i with winter tyres, DSC, etc., will suffice to get from A to B in snow.

What do You think?

Last edited by Diadal; 04-05-2010 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Diadal
Rep

Yeah... although my made-up mind changes its course with every new piece of information.

At the moment, I would rather go for the xDrive, after some discussion with BMW-owner friends on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
aboji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

If I can redo it, I probably would go with an "i", take it from someone with a xi that lives in Michigan with pretty bad winters. Car feels under powered and mpg goes down a little bit. Also, with AWD, you always have to ensure all tire depths are somewhat similar, if not it can be harmful to the t/case. Winter tires are all you need on an "i". Help this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboji View Post
If I can redo it, I probably would go with an "i", take it from someone with a xi that lives in Michigan with pretty bad winters. Car feels under powered and mpg goes down a little bit. Also, with AWD, you always have to ensure all tire depths are somewhat similar, if not it can be harmful to the t/case. Winter tires are all you need on an "i". Help this helps.
I live in NY and am in the same boat. Do I really need an XI?

In the past, we did own a Mazda RX8 with rwd but had dedicated snow tires and it plowed through the snow with no problems. Only thing with an 'i' is that you HAVE to have dedicated snow tires.
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Diadal
Rep

Getting a full set of total-snow tyres is no problem for me.

But I looked silly today at the office, when my colleague replied to me on the same questions: Are you mad?? I am driving a 5 year old 320D and we go skiing every winter in the alps. The car goes just fine with RWD. You don't need any xDrive.

Well... it seem like I will have to to learn to drive in the snow with RWD. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0